SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Drinking problem and rehab **update page 3**
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drinking problem and rehab **update page 3** Login/Join 
posted
Yesterday I received a call from a friend that he was checking himself into a rehab location and that he'll be there for about a month.
He said he didn't want anyone there and that he needed to do this on his own. I know the girlfriend and she was just as surprised as anyone.
I'm not going to lie, this hit hard as this is a person I drank with regularly. Did I know? Pretty much and the problem is also that I am wondering if I need to sit myself down and evaluate my possible problem as well. Do I need to do the same thing or can I moderate myself.
I know, if you have to ask yourself these type of questions, then you have a problem. I'm just not sure I need the type of help he does.
He has missed days of work because of hangovers. Failed relationships. Obnoxious when he's drunk(not to me as I've known him most of his life) and more.
Since I found out yesterday, I have not had a drop. It's not that I'm scared, I just keep thinking, what if I have to do that sometime?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: joatmonv,

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have some options. Drop by an AA meeting and see if anything they are saying applies. The ones in your area are easily found. Choice two is to see a psychologist who treats addictions or a drug and alcohol counselor. You cannot effectively diagnose yourself.

BTW AA is free and your health insurance should cover an evaluation by a trained professional.

Posts: 17281 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's time to be evaluated just to be sure. I know a couple of people that were worried and quit on their own. It can be done.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
Go to a few AA MEETING AND LISTEN. You will know if you fit after a couple meetings.
And your friend if the rehab works will be able to fill in the blanks.
After all why not go where the experts are. Kind of like asking for gun help on a gun forum. Been where you are over 30 yrs ago.

Posts: 4413 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I have the same issue. For me it’s tasty whiskey. Once I start, I’ll drink too much. I can moderate beers, but hard alcohol I cannot drink in moderation.

I have made it a point to not have anything other than beer at the house. Now I’m enjoying life quite well.

On that note, I have never missed work due to a hangover. Four Advil, 16oz Red Bull and a 750ml bottle of San Pelligrino sparkling water and I was right as rain.

I prefer having two or three beers and calling it good.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4031 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
Maybe it's time to be evaluated just to be sure. I know a couple of people that were worried and quit on their own. It can be done.

Jim

Thanks Jim. I think that's my next action.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:
and the problem is also that I am wondering if I need to sit myself down and evaluate my possible problem as well.
He has missed days of work because of hangovers. Failed relationships. Obnoxious when he's drunk(not to me as I've known him most of his life) and more.

The latter part is a good initial starting point for determining the former. It's pretty black and white that if you're experiencing the latter kind of problems, or anything similar where your drinking is having an obvious negative impact on your life/health/job/relationships in ways like that, then you've got a problem.

Posts: 32557 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Averaging 6.3
posts per year
posted Hide Post
Climbed on the wagon Wed last week myself. Between 2 yrs of Hurricane Michael and rolling right in to this Covid crap - I started finding too much relaxation in beers and booze.

Gotta get my mind right and remember how to tell myself "no" again.

Best of luck to you!

Rick

Texting.......easier than calling.

Posts: 1367 | Location: P.C., FL - the emerald coast | Registered: September 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIC.45:
Climbed on the wagon Wed last week myself. Between 2 yrs of Hurricane Michael and rolling right in to this Covid crap - I started finding too much relaxation in beers and booze.

Gotta get my mind right and remember how to tell myself "no" again.

Best of luck to you!

Rick

You too Rick.

posted Hide Post
I used to drink heavily. VERY heavily, in fact.

While in the Navy towards the end I’d put away a 12 pack a night. That continued on for several years after I got out. I never missed work, but was hung over 7 days a week. It wasn’t unheard of for me to drink 12-18 beers a night.

Then back in 2010 I realized the path I was heading down, and did some self reflecting. I realized that I was at the precipice of following in my parent’s footsteps (my mom is an alcoholic and my dad used to drink a lot too but not as much as I did...maybe a 6 pack a night). So I quit drinking one day. Got home from work and decided to have a big glass of water instead of starting to pound the beers...and it turned into two days, then three. After about 6 months I poured the rest of the 24 pack I had sitting by the fridge down the drain. I kept it there to remind myself that it was MY choice to stop and that I was in control.

It’s been over 10 years now without an ounce of alcohol....and I don’t miss it one bit.

Posts: 686 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Failing to prepare is
preparing to fail.
Picture of SigLaw
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Largefarva:
I used to drink heavily. VERY heavily, in fact....
It’s been over 10 years now without an ounce of alcohol....and I don’t miss it one bit.

That is awesome and you should be proud of yourself!!!

Posts: 1360 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Some can handle and some cannot.
IF you can then there is no problem.
IF you can't then do something about it.
Otherwise sitting around felling sorry for yourself and worrying is not real smart, IMO.
Some feel guilty when it is not warranted.
YMMV

PS a lot of us were a bit on the foolish side when we are young and could handle it.
It is when you get older that you have to know your limitations. [/dirty harry]

Posts: 22943 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I think your introspection sounds wonderful. There are many people out there who are functional - you could even say productive - alcoholics. That doesn't change the fact that they are dependent on alcohol as much as they are food & water.

When you have a compulsion or vice, it's easy to rationalize, "I'm not as bad as ___," such as your friend. In other words, it's easy to convince yourself you don't have a problem if you're always comparing yourself to worse/worst case scenarios. A pack-a-day smoker isn't as bad as someone who smokes 2-3 packs per day, but if we're being honest, a pack per day is still a lot and is definitely an addicition.

I like what Largefarva did. Can you stop drinking w/o feeling as if something is missing in your life? Do you suffer from withdrawal if you stop drinking? If you answer 'no' to the former and 'yes' to that latter, then you're probably an alcoholic.

Posts: 3189 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
Good for you for questioning. Read the first chapter of Gorge W. Bush's Decision Point's. He was in the same place you are. He points out that without the decision to address his drinking the rest of the book wouldn't exist. God's speed.

Posts: 1089 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I know I have a potential problem, so I moderate myself.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I quit about 20 years ago. Not a drop since. I was a great beer and gin drinker but not a problem drinker. I could easily drink a case a day when camping but generally had one or two after work. Maybe a 6 pack while golfing.

While smoking will kill you, drinking has its own set of penalties. Drunk driving, social embarrassment, failed relationships, financial considerations and some amount of health issues. When I quit, I had to find new friends and new social activities - but it was worth it. Was it hard to quit? Not at all when I made the decision. Now I never get nervous when a cop is following me.

Good luck,
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4241 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
A lot of times, it’s just habit...come home drink a few...next day rinse and repeat...breaking the habit is the hard thing.

Looking at it is a step that you should take, evaluate your habits. And make changes if needed.

I no longer drink like I did when I was a sailor..plus I’m old now and hangovers suck. I have one or two drinks in the evening and never go overboard. But according to the doctors and the WHO that many drinks in a week is too much. It never changes my demeanor or do I get drunk...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11308 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The spouse and I both come from a long line of alcoholics. We've witnessed how alcoholism destroys individuals and the negative affects on nondrinking family members. We simply do not consume alcohol.

Posts: 997 | Registered: October 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I worked 2nd shift and single, I used to drink every night after work. We closed one bar down and move on to the next until they closed and then finished at a third bar. The owner would lock the door and go to bed leaving us to drink and leave whenever we wanted. I realized the path I was heading down and changed myself. Transferred to another department and quit hanging out with the people I worked with. If I hadn't done those changes, I would have been like all of the regulars at the bar. I do continue to drink, but in moderation, as in one or two a week if that.

If you feel you have a problem, get help. Who cares what others may say about you. You need to look out for number one. Always. The first step is realizing you may have a problem, the next steps are up to you. Whether they are easy or difficult is your choice. You may hurt "friends" but if they are pissed off at you for quitting, are they truly friends?

Best of luck to you, and if you need to chat, we are all here for you. My email is in my profile as most are that are posting in your thread.

Posts: 3667 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why not make a decision to take at least a month away from alcohol. If you can't stay away from it for the month then you know it is out of control.

Posts: 12739 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post