SIGforum
What Antivirus are you using?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/6520043334

November 17, 2017, 06:39 PM
Black92LX
What Antivirus are you using?
I have been using Avast for years but it seems they have added something called behavior shield and it is constantly using 25-40% of my CPU usage according to the task manager.
I also googled it and a lot of folks are complaining about the CPU usage.
Looks like the update added about the time I started running Blue Iris IP camera software so I just chalked it up to Blue Iris.
But was doing some work and was lagging big time.
Shut down Blue Iris and the lag continued.
Opened up task manager and saw Avast Behavior Shield burning it up.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!
November 17, 2017, 09:51 PM
Baran
forticlient av

Run it on my work laptop and surface.
November 17, 2017, 10:14 PM
sig226fan
I have been using Bitdefender for a couple or three years now. Works great so far and is not a resource hog. Started sing on some of our work laptops lately as well.

Give it a look and see what you think.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.
November 17, 2017, 10:24 PM
recoatlift
3 yrs on free versions of Avast A/V,
CCleaner and Malwarebytes. The free version of AVG was also good, but I stayed with AVAST.

Guessing the free version doesn't have the behavior add on....not a resource hog either.
November 17, 2017, 10:41 PM
SIGlord
I have been using ESET NOD32 for the past couple of years.
November 17, 2017, 10:51 PM
rusbro
Been using Symantec Endpoint Protection for years. It's been OK. I now only have it running on a few servers and am using ITBrain, which integrates with Teamviewer, for about 20 PCs. It's presented about 10 false positives over the last year. The main thing I like about it is that I can see the status of each PC while I'm logged into Teamviewer, which I do most every day.

I also run Malwarebytes (paid version) on some of the PCs, originally alongside SEP, and now alongside ITBrain.

I run McAfee on a handful of machines, too, as it was free as part of my AT&T Uverse subscription. It hasn't caused any problems. it runs alongside Malwarebytes on a PC or two.

Of everything, Malwayrebytes has been the best at finding legit threats, with minimal false positives.

So, my suggestion would be to see if your internet provider offers a free AV, and buy Malwarebytes if you want to be especially safe.
November 17, 2017, 11:24 PM
smschulz
quote:
MalwareBytes

^^ This one ^^
November 17, 2017, 11:55 PM
KMitch200
quote:
Originally posted by sig226fan:
I have been using Bitdefender for a couple or three years now.

Me too.
Not thrilled that the last couple of versions don't have the modules that 2014-15 did without upgrading to a higher priced version but it seems to work OK now that the bug is fixed.
(Win 7 and AV Plus 2018 didn't play nice together at first)

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.
November 18, 2017, 01:59 AM
SapperSteel
Spy Hunter, from Enigma Software: LINK

Thanks,

Sap
November 18, 2017, 02:25 AM
bald1
--Comodo Internal Security Premium 10 (firewall & anti-virus)
--Malwarebytes (anti-malware, anti-ransomware, anti-exploit, and malicious website)

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192
November 18, 2017, 03:18 AM
Jelly
I've been using microsoft security essentials for the last 4 years. Not a resource pig and so far has worked well for me.
November 18, 2017, 04:20 AM
egregore
A program called Security Suite comes with my Spectrum (fka Charter) service.
November 18, 2017, 05:03 AM
r0gue
Mac, reasonably good surfing habits and I don't bring mail to my computer (webmail vs. local client).

I realize and agree that Macs are not immune to all malware. But in my experience, AV has been nothing but problematic on the Mac and malware is much less a risk than on PC.

That said, I'll probably take another swing at something soon. As typing this makes me feel like I'm flipping the middle finger to fate. hehe

November 18, 2017, 06:40 AM
Cliff
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
3 yrs on free versions of Avast A/V,
CCleaner and Malwarebytes. The free version of AVG was also good, but I stayed with AVAST.

Guessing the free version doesn't have the behavior add on....not a resource hog either.

Exactly what I use. Very satisfied.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

November 18, 2017, 07:05 AM
mikeyspizza
I've used most free ones over the years. With my 1-year old Windows 10 machine I just use Windows Defender that came with it, and run CCCleaner about once a week.

This is my source when I'm looking for free software: https://www.techsupportalert.com/
November 18, 2017, 08:26 AM
SpinZone
I have been using Symantec end point protection and Malwarebytes for many years and have not had any issues.

I also try to be intelligent about our on-line behavior, opening unknown e-mails, clicking on links or suspect websites. As my son once proved, no matter how good your A/V is, when you click on the virus and tell your system to download it you are going to be screwed.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

November 18, 2017, 09:38 AM
NavyGuy
W10. I use Windows Defender and Immunet which I scan with weekly. Immunet seems to play nice with Windows Defender.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence
November 18, 2017, 09:42 AM
henryarnaud
Windows 10. I use both Bitdefender and Windows Defender, with periodic use of Malwarebytes and CCleaner (free versions). So far, so good...*knocks on wood*

Also, I only use web-based e-mail and never open attachments from unknown senders.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes
November 18, 2017, 09:44 AM
mcrimm
I switched from Norton to Webroot about 4 years ago. Newegg puts it on sale every fall and I load it on both my PC and Macbook. It seems to work just fine for a reasonable price.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham
November 18, 2017, 09:49 AM
tigereye313
Linux Mint.

Not too many viruses out there for Linux... Smile