SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Grits, I need sources
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grits, I need sources Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Another vote here for Jim Dandy grits with scrambled eggs and/or cheese or served on top of over easy fried eggs, in fact I will be having some here in just a little while.

Posts: 146 | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I don't notice any difference between brands myself. As long as they're the old-fashioned type and not instant or quick, all white grits pretty much taste the same to me. We normally buy Jim Dandy but have used Quaker old-fashioned many times.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
First, don’t bother with quick or instant grits. You need some that have a recipe with 4:1 water:grits and cooks 20 minutes or so.

Weisenberger

Best source we’ve found!
there hope this looks better.

Thanks order sent

Excellent choice, next time add some cornbread meal to your order and make real southern cornbread

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
another source for real grits is ;

https://loganturnpikemill.com/...peckled-white-grits/

They also have a full line of freshly ground flours,meals,etc. Ground as you order.

Posts: 2546 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:
How about a few ideas.

These are the brands that we use. Carolina Plantation is probably my favorite. There are many varieties that you can buy--white, yellow, blue, etc. (Quaker grits would never cross the kitchen threshold. Razz )

Carolina Plantation

Adluh

Anson Mills

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dking271:
quote:
Ten-12 years ago, I went to breakfast at IHOP

Only Yankees and Damn Yankees eat at IHOP in B’ham. The correct answer for southern breakfast is Waffle House. I’ve had acceptable results with Quaker Oats.

Yes, have to go to Waffle House, food, fight and a show for a really low price.

Posts: 3572 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Looks like Publix offers a choice of brands, for grits. You can choose Quaker, or Quaker. If you don't like either of those, there's always Quaker.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Breakfast isn't breakfast without grits but whatever you do, do not get the instant type in the packets. I am not sure what those are. I usually get Quaker -in the large package or cardboard tube,Jim Dandy or another brand and they are all about the same. One of the guys I work with makes his own, as he has a grinder and uses either white or yellow corn to make them. The yellow grits are really good.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Grits are a really polarizing food and folks either love them or hate them it seems.

I have had some that were amazing and some that were really crap.

A good breakfast for me... a couple of biscuits torn up and smothered with sausage gravy AND grits... then I tear up and add another sausage patty to the pile... stir it all up together... 3 scrambled eggs on the side. Fantastic! Buttered and jelly biscuit for dessert!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cparktd,

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
not sure if they will ship any longer,

Rich Pouncey was one of a kind, a great man that loved some Flintlocks, and corn squeezings,

he send me a pile of grits, cornmeal and seed corn all from heirloom corn,

his family hit the US about the same time, well maybe a little mine did (pre US)

Pouncy Tract here in RVA is where his family settled back then, he was in FLA and Ga,

not sure if they will ship, Rich has been gone a few years,

but if they still do the heirloom corn, the taste,, well a bit different, and good

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=347839809179361

here they are

https://www.rhomarket.com/Prod...d7-9459-1766d3172633

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10423 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These are really good grits. We have them regularly for breakfast. Add some cream cheese an/or sharp cheddar and you will be hooked. It’s 1:4 grits to water. A little salt in the water. Bring water to boil and stir in grits. Let simmer until creamy and soft then stir in cheese. If grits seem too dry while cooking heat some water in microwave and stir into the cooking grits to get the consistency you want(not too runny and not too dry).
https://www.amazon.com/Carolin...385080a1042866dfe84c

Posts: 77 | Registered: April 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Logan Turnpike stone ground grits

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10488 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Please keep those damn yankees in the dark about grits.... They know not of what the rest of good ol southern boys have grown up enjoying all of our lives. ...................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2010 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
First, don’t bother with quick or instant grits. You need some that have a recipe with 4:1 water:grits and cooks 20 minutes or so.

Weisenberger

Best source we’ve found!

Thanks for the link, my wife ordered some bags last night. Even with shipping charges, it looks to be worth it.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16704 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Not a huge fan, I can think of many better choices for Bfast

Blasphemy

I mean, look at his name. He probably likes lefse and lutefisk for breakfast with ligonberry jam.

My family and I fell in love with them when my wife's brother married a South Carolina girl and we visited and had them. There's no going back. Up here in the PNW I get Bob's Red Mill.

And every "grit" scene from My Cousin Vinny, of which there are several, is fantastic.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1957 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
lefse

Damned skippy

A member here sent me some years ago, I believe he lived in MN. I wish I could remember who he was

Posts: 5323 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
I’ve eaten grits all my life. All kinds of brands (but mostly Quaker) Full cook, 5 minute quick or instant. I love them all.

The only “grits” I didn’t like was in college. For the first few days of my freshman year I got grits in the cafeteria. I thought they were the worst grits I’d ever had. No amount of butter, salt and pepper would make them taste good. On about the third day, I finally read the sign above them, Cream of Wheat. At that point, I learned I do not like Cream of Wheat.

Chris

Posts: 1696 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
Carolina Plantation Grits

I also love their aromatic rice, order 8-12# at a time and keep in the freezer, we don't eat grits a lot, but they keep in the freezer also.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
You probably grew up on cream of wheat. Grits is simply cream of corn. Unlike restaurant grits, cook it with milk, not water.

Treat grits like you would any other side carb dish. Adding butter is popular. I like adding cheese. Shrimp and grits is awesome.

Posts: 8624 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Any of the independent dedicated Southern grit mills will be fine.

These were good when they were Geechee Boy. The WOKE crowd got to them, I guess - or people just not knowing who the Geechee are…
[url=https://www.amazon.com/Geechie...e-view_1710863172760[/url]

Posts: 5740 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post