SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Grits, I need sources
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grits, I need sources Login/Join 
Saluki
posted
It might come as a surprise but MN is not flush with grits. So, since this going to be Quacker oats brand(that’s got to be spelled wrong) or a trip to the internet’s. I am coming to the wisdom of SF.

How about a few ideas.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5151 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
The best source is what we do here in the south, we find a nice grits tree and harvest them ourself, you can plant a tree but that takes time. Wink

Posts: 3572 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I was led to believe they were bushes. I’m reminded of this tragic year.
https://youtu.be/yflTu150QZw?si=J9bG2aXo97ZDfaZd

Posts: 5151 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
I am going to ask my dad later today, he makes the best grits I have ever had. Love me some Shrimp and Grits.

Posts: 3572 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
We eats grits often in our household (lots of butter and black pepper). We like Quaker's Old Fashioned Grits (not instant), it is actually decent. It can get lumpy, you have to work at it to smooth those out, but I have no problem eating it. Our preferred brand is Marsh Hen Mills White Grits, the texture and taste is better than Quakers, but twice the price ($8.00 vs. $4.00). We usually have the Marsh Mills on hand, but sometimes they run out and we'll get the Quakers for a change.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16706 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
If you ever able to attend a fair, find the guy making kettle corn and ask them to buy their tailings, (waste) or whatever the word is for the bits that fall through. Some vendors down near the house have it bagged up already. Makes fantastic grits.

Otherwise find something like this, Yellow Hominy, which is essentially what you’d get from the kettle corn folks.

I personally always preferred yellow hominy.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6319 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Magic grits.
General Putnam Motel Diner
Whazoo City, Beechum County Alabama.

(47 miles south of Greenbow)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43886 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Not a huge fan, I can think of many better choices for Bfast

Posts: 5324 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Google search "Food for the Southern Soul", they're in the low country of SC. They have the real deal, believe me.

Posts: 934 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bellegarde bakery in New Orleans mills their own. Only place I’ll get them from now

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6227 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
First, don’t bother with quick or instant grits. You need some that have a recipe with 4:1 water:grits and cooks 20 minutes or so.

Weisenberger

Best source we’ve found!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12420 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
First, don’t bother with quick or instant grits. You need some that have a recipe with 4:1 water:grits and cooks 20 minutes or so.

Weisenberger

Best source we’ve found!
there hope this looks better.

Thanks order sent

This message has been edited. Last edited by: reflex/deflex 64,

Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
Just checked with my Dad, he said most of the time he uses Jim Dandy brand grits. He said when he went in the Army he asked one of the guys from up north if he wanted some grits and he said sure I’ll try one. That and okra virtually unknown.

posted Hide Post
The Italians just LOVE them some Grits, however they call it Polenta just to be different.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife's a Yankee girl from PA, so she's not real fond of grits.

I generally get mine at restaurants when we go out for breakfast. And Oddball is right, butter and black pepper.

I can, but rarely have, eaten grits alone for my breakfast. I find them best with 2-3 sunny side up eggs, ham, sausage or bacon (or all three as I had yesterday) and buttered biscuits.

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Ten-12 years ago, I went to breakfast at IHOP in BirmFuckingham, ALABAMA, and they did not have grits on the menu. They did not have grits not on the menu.
The waitress (didn t even call me 'Sweetie') said they had hash browns and bagels.

That s when I knew we'd lost the War of Northern Agression.

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ten-12 years ago, I went to breakfast at IHOP

Only Yankees and Damn Yankees eat at IHOP in B’ham. The correct answer for southern breakfast is Waffle House. I’ve had acceptable results with Quaker Oats.

Posts: 2960 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of djinco
posted Hide Post
Google "Bob's Red Mill". Great products. Probably available via Amazon.

Cheers, Doug in Colorado

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 648 | Location: Colorado | Registered: February 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Not a huge fan, I can think of many better choices for Bfast

Blasphemy

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
I will put sautéed peppers, onion and breakfast sausage, along with a scrambled egg or two, and cheese all mixed in with grits. My wife, from NY, won't touch 'em. Won't touch okra, either.

Posts: 9044 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post