SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Liberal bastion Montomery County, fails with electric school buses
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Liberal bastion Montomery County, fails with electric school buses Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted
This is a sort of local story, but I'm confident if you have a big school system, your local government is considering these kinds of stupid decisions.

Why do leftist liberal loons believe all the bullshit they spew?

quote:
WTOP.com:Electric school buses led to millions in wasteful spending, Montgomery Co. IG says

Electric buses were supposed to save money for Maryland’s largest school district. But a new report by Montgomery County’s inspector general found they “led to millions of dollars in wasteful spending.”

Montgomery County Public Schools projected it would save 6,500 gallons of fuel per day and cut costs by 50% at a ribbon-cutting ceremony for the 326 electric buses in October of 2022.

Since MCPS entered into the over $168 million contract for the electric buses in 2021, the buses were consistently delivered to the system late.

The county’s Office of the Inspector General found that instead of the number of promised electric buses for FY2022 being delivered before the end of the school year’s first quarter, as contracted, dozens were not received by MCPS until after Christmas.

A similar picture emerged in FY2024, as 120 electric buses were scheduled for delivery. Some (37) arrived by the end of September, but most (69) were received sometime between October and the end of December. Fourteen more arrived between Jan. 1 and April 1.

The OIG said it also found “mechanical failures with many electric buses rendered them inoperable for extended periods.”

These mechanical and charging issues resulted in buses not being able to complete their routes 280 times from Feb. 10, 2022, to the end of March 2024. In more than half those cases, repairs were not completed within five working days. The average time it took to repair an electric bus was 13 days.

As a result, in October of 2023, the school board approved the school system’s request to buy “90 diesel school buses at a cost of $14,749,919 … in light of the electric bus shortfall,” according to the OIG report.

The late delivery of vehicles and repair issues entitled MCPS to impose penalties under the contract and recoup costs, but action was not exercised. The Inspector General’s investigation found nobody in MCPS senior management who could explain why those fees, estimated to be well north of $372,000, were not pursued.

In a statement to WTOP, Montgomery County Public Schools said it considers the OIG “an important partner” and “will take the necessary actions” to address the issues identified in the report.

“This includes implementing data tracking systems, enhancing management practices, and improving vendor communications and contracts,” the statement read. “We will continue to collaborate closely with the OIG throughout this process.”

Bottom line: Likely the vendor made a shit ton of money selling defective buses to Monkey County and got the contract in response to campaign contributions.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32002 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
And just a few minutes later, I come across this...

$5B, 60 buses delivered. Roll Eyes

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32002 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
The evil side of me just can't wait 'til one of those buses catches fire. (Out in the middle of a parking lot and empty, of course, so nobody gets hurt.) It'll be fun to watch people finally realize the disaster potential.

- - -

Changing topic a bit, whatcha s'pose one of those weighs, in comparison with "regular" school buses? I'm thinking about the roads in and around my area growing up, and how much more torn up they'd be with even heavier buses rolling around on them.

- - - -

And back to 12131's and Sig2340's points: There's a metric doo-doo ton of [our] money going into such projects, with very little positive return on investment.

God bless America.

Posts: 13864 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
The splosions are quite spectacular

Posts: 5536 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whoever signed off on that contract needs firing. Many cities are reporting failures with them,(Asheville,N.C., Philly, Denver, Fort Lauderdale,etc.) and parts are no where to be found because some of the companies,like Proterra, have gone bankrupt. Who would have thought?

Hybrids seem to have a better track record in most cities.

Posts: 7057 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of uvahawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
Whoever signed off on that contract needs firing.

Wholeheartedly agree!! I would think that even progressive liberal parents would be appalled by those electric business which have caught fire and essentially exploded. Montgomery County over the decades became a hotbed for progressive liberals. Not surprised there was no real oversight of the contract, let program management as found in the private sector. Your tax dollars at work Montgomery County residents!

Posts: 225 | Location: Low Country, South Carolina | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
Asheville, NC, a liberal sink hole, did the same thing with their public transportation system, and are in the hole untold $millions. Not only that, but none of the busses is currently operational. Same flawed logic, same expensive result.

They also defunded the police, and that is having the results you would expect.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1877 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of uvahawk
posted Hide Post
Another unfortunate case where the voters got what they asked for in terms of local government! Do the voters do not care if their tax dollars are essentially down the drain?

Posts: 225 | Location: Low Country, South Carolina | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Zion National Park and the town of Springdale, UT run shuttles to alleviate parking issues. This year they replaced their propane buses with electric. So far, I think it's been working out but at some point there will be issues, I'm sure.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3456 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by uvahawk:
Do the voters do not care if their tax dollars are essentially down the drain?

I don't want to be the pessimist here, but I'm beginning to think a LOT of voters don't realize it's their money being spent on things and that the gov doesn't actually spend "its own" money.

God bless America.

Posts: 13864 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
326 electric buses for $168 mil or 90 diesel busses for $14,749,919.

Over a half a million dollars for an electric school bus vs $164k. Over $350k difference per bus would be a HELL of a lot of diesel.

For sake of argument - say $5/gal - 70k gallons per bus. Busses get between 6 - 10 mpg (according to google) so 420k miles - 700k miles. I'd be willing to bet there isn't a school bus in this country that is still in service at 1/3 of those miles.

Yeah - an average of 12000 miles per year for a school bus. So unless they kept those buses for at least 35 years (diesel bus cost + fuel = cost of electric bus) the electrics were WAY more expensive. At less than 2 years? bahahahahahah. Fucking clowns.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1766 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing some palms were greased and that's why the penalties weren't sought.

Posts: 9798 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Even if they don't catch fire I could see them breaking down and stranding kids and there would be hell to pay for that.

Posts: 34536 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
As a resident of Montgomery County, Texas, I want to make it perfectly clear that this article is about Montgomery County, Maryland.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23654 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our district looked into them, they basically cost 4X of a Diesel powered bus, not counting charging stations, and on a full charge couldn't do a complete day, you would have to charge it in-between routes. There are a bunch of drivers that do midday shuttles and prescription and that wouldn't cut it.

My last route, if I did nothing extra, no doubles, shuttles ect., was 225 miles a day.

In weight, I don't remember, but it was heavier.

They are a joke.

ARman

Posts: 3213 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
Austin, Texas, thought the same thing until...

“Honestly, we thought and hoped that the technology would progress a little faster than it has,” CapMetro CEO Dottie Watkins told KUT. “The biggest downside of a battery-electric bus today is its range.”

Diesel buses can run from early in the morning until past midnight. A battery bus only runs about 8 to 10 hours before it needs to be recharged, creating tough logistical hurdles in scheduling routes.

An analysis by the Texas Transportation Institute (TTI) — a state-funded research agency at Texas A&M University — found battery-electric buses could only cover 36% of Capital Metro’s bus schedules.

“If [the route] is too long, it won’t make it,” said John Overman, a research scientist with TTI. “You’re going to have to charge them mid-route or wherever it is.” Austin’s hills drain batteries faster. So does trying to cool buses in the city’s oppressive heat."

https://www.texasstandard.org/...ses-battery-powered/

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 2001 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
Do the voters do not care if their tax dollars are essentially down the drain?

I don't want to be the pessimist here, but I'm beginning to think a LOT of voters don't realize it's their money being spent on things and that the gov doesn't actually spend "its own" money.

The problem is that the pool of people the voters were able to pick from is shallow. With the rare exception, a1abdj comes to mind, the pool is made of people that have nothing better to do and certainly have no business making multimillion dollar financial decisions.

Posts: 11610 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
nothing better to do and certainly have no business making multimillion dollar financial decisions.

That seems very accurate, particularly in local (town/county) politics.

God bless America.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:

That is a sad truth my friend .

Posts: 4247 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Left-Handed,
NOT Left-Winged!
posted Hide Post
The point is they WANTED EV Buses for political, green, "save the earth" reasons and played with the numbers to justify a much larger capital outlay to save fuel and dubious maintenance costs because "EV's don't need as much maintenance as IC's because there are fewer moving parts".

No there are just a shit ton of high voltage circuits that have to operate between -30 and 120 degrees ambient, bouncing around on a primitive suspension. And when they go, they go without warning and the bus won't work until expensive repairs are complete.

Trust me, the designs of school bus batteries and power electronics are way behind EV passenger cars due to the much lower economies of scale. And the manufacturing is mostly by hand without much automation, by people who barely pass the drug test.

Posts: 4916 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post