SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    TV's HDMI Inputs Kaput... Help...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TV's HDMI Inputs Kaput... Help... Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted
My 2009 model LG 47LH90-UB TV got hit by lightning when quite new. It was repaired under my Homeowners Insurance, except for my deductible. Main Board was replaced.

It has 4 HDMI inputs. After it was repaired one HDMI port didn't work, but the other three did so that was OK, and I didn't follow up on it.

About 2 years later one more quit working. OK, two left...
About 3 months ago the third one quit... Rut-Roh!
About 1 month ago the last one quit! Crap!

My cable box has RCA out so I am using that for regular TV and it works OK.

BUT... My Apple TV, and my DVD / mini surround sound player in a box are only HDMI out.

SO... I bought this...
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0...cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_9

Yea, that doesn't work at all. Crap!

It had grood specs, when new, and it still has an amazing picture.
There has to be something to convert HDMI to the 3 wire RCA (AV in?) or 4 wire component.

Not knowing much about such things and not wanting to waste any more cash experimenting, I am asking the Sig brain trust for advice...

Thanks!

Collecting dust.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One True IcePick
Picture of eyrich
posted Hide Post
I think that cable only goes from RCA -> HDMI
Its difficult to find a device that converts HDMI to analog as it probably violates the HDMI standard.

Might find something on AliExpress

Posts: 871 | Location: IL | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
Why not replace the main board again?

There's a couple on eBay.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1289 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I did the math correctly that TV of yours is 8 years old, longer than I have any TV last since I had to retire my 1989 Zenith in about 2004. Since then almost like clockwork every 4 to 5 years I have to buy a new TV due to some capacitor on the motherboard failing. BTW, if you think I believe that is planned by every TV maker on the market you are 1000% correct.

The only good news is that TV's today have become quite cheap to purchase, even the super high resolution "4K" models. I would suggest that you look into purchase a new TV set. Just be aware that RCA Audio outputs are going the way of the dinosaur so if you have an old school stereo you want to hook up to the TV you will have to look at the back of a lot of sets to find something that still has the old analog audio outputs.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5770 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
If I did the math correctly that TV of yours is 8 years old, longer than I have any TV last since I had to retire my 1989 Zenith in about 2004. Since then almost like clockwork every 4 to 5 years I have to buy a new TV due to some capacitor on the motherboard failing. BTW, if you think I believe that is planned by every TV maker on the market you are 1000% correct.

The only good news is that TV's today have become quite cheap to purchase, even the super high resolution "4K" models. I would suggest that you look into purchase a new TV set. Just be aware that RCA Audio outputs are going the way of the dinosaur so if you have an old school stereo you want to hook up to the TV you will have to look at the back of a lot of sets to find something that still has the old analog audio outputs.

I had already planned to replace it with a bigger / newer model for the bigger den in our current home. The old one was going to get moved to another room. We only have the one TV mow. It still has a great picture.

Hadn't considered replacing the main board again, a shop did it before and it wasn't cheap but the insurance picked up most of the cost then. So maybe an e-bay board and self install... IDK if worth it. And the problem might not even be on the main board. Is there an HDMI board or a video board or maybe the actual jacks or whatever... Remember one HDMI didn't work after the main board replacement before, maybe the problem is somewhere else..

Maybe this is one of those times to just let it go LOL! Knowing little about such things I'm somewhat amazed there isn't an easy ~cheap solution.

Collecting dust.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
My Panasonic is down to it's last HDMI.
Got it hooked up to my blu-ray player currently, and have directv hooked up to component video.

Already resigned myself to the fact that it will be going byebye once I come across a decent Black Friday sale.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's an 8 year old TV, buy a new one. I'm guessing it's a 47" by the model number. A replacement in that size is pretty cheap.

Posts: 21417 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Any type of adapter is going to restrict your video to 480p, the resolution of the RCA based signal.
LG's in the same size range start at about 299 now and are significantly improved over your eight year old unit.

As fond as I am of saving things that can be, I'd go with a replacement on this one.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
This cable works, but don't expect high quality video:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d...R4w-9NCQL&ref=plSrch

I'd definitely recommend buying a new TV.

Posts: 3550 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys...

Collecting dust.

Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Cable guy hooked up a box last week and had to use coax since the HDMI was out on the TV. He said it goes out due to shoddy construction. Don't know if that's true or not.

Posts: 7643 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post