SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Chef confronts vegan protesters by butchering, cooking and eating a deer in front of them
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chef confronts vegan protesters by butchering, cooking and eating a deer in front of them Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted

https://twitchy.com/brettt-313...led-as-a-hero-video/

Chef who confronts vegan protesters with ‘recently murdered deer’ being hailed as a hero

blogTO has posted video of a chef taunting vegan protesters outside his restaurant by carving meat in his front window, and the chef is being hailed as a hero. Be sure to listen to the “play-by-play” by the filming protester as the chef carves the “recently murdered deer.”

blogTO reports that animal rights activists have been protesting the restaurant Antler for weeks:

About an hour into their demonstration, protesters say that the restaurant’s co-owner and chef, Michael Hunter, “brought out an entire animal leg and started cutting it up right in the window on a table reserved for diners.”

Event organizer Marni Jill Ugar wrote later that night on Facebook that she felt Hunter had been “taunting” the group by cutting up a deer leg right in front of them.

“Once the deer was cooked Michael Hunter, owner of Antler, sat back down at the window to eat the dead deer,” she wrote.

Video at the link.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
People Eating Tasty Animals

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10731 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
My kinda guy.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15274 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
People Eating Tasty Animals

Pretty Easy Taunting Assholes.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31485 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
As juvenile as it might seem, that's exactly how all such nitwit protesters should be dealt with. Instead of apologizing or backing down, throw it directly in their face and taunt them with it. Show them that they and their BS simply doesn't matter.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
These maroons think they can taunt us without any consequences.

This cook IS a hero!

Turnabout is fair play.

Posts: 2833 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had to share:

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I've shared this here several times over the years. In high school and college, I worked at a fancy Italian restaurant owned by two Culinary Institute of America trained chefs.

We had veal on our menu. Once or twice a year, we would get veal protestors picketing out front, and like clock work we sold out of veal early. Always got lots of comments after finding out we were sold out how the protest made them hungry for veal.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23323 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The way that one uniform is smiling I wonder if they were getting reservations.

Posts: 4069 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
So how is Foie gras? I've never left the greatest part of our country for long, (the south) but for making snowflakes mad I'll plan a trip

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Toronto restaurateur pushes back after being targeted by animal-rights protesters

“I’d always rather have dialogue. I want to sit down. I’m not targeting him. I’m there to defend animals.”

Ms. Ugar you've been 'protesting' for three months, I'd say you're targeting him and his business. There needs to be a payout, maybe a bunch of free meals, to a couple of going-nowhere thugs to clean these folks off the street.

quote:
The first few times the protesters showed up at Michael Hunter’s restaurant, he didn’t engage with them. Three months later, frustrated by chants of “you’re a murderer,” and “you’ve got blood on your hands,” the chef did what he felt was reasonable. He began butchering deer meat in the window.

“I figured, I’ll show them. I’m going to have my own protest.”

The situation, before it became so heated, began with a short, simple message written on a sandwich board.

Antler Kitchen & Bar is a small restaurant on Dundas Street West. Mr. Hunter, a co-owner, is both a hunter and forager. In addition to a pair of antlers that hang from the kitchen window (the first buck Mr. Hunter killed), the restaurant is decorated with photos of wild leeks and morel mushrooms foraged by Mr. Hunter and his business partner, Jody Shapiro.

While the chef feeds his family meat that is almost entirely wild (he hunts deer, duck and wild turkey), these meats cannot be served in Ontario restaurants. Nevertheless, Antler’s menu reflects Mr. Hunter’s opposition to factory farming, and belief in using every part of the animal. The tougher cuts of whole boar are braised, other parts turned into charcuterie, sausage and a terrine made from the head, and the belly is smoked. Pasture-raised venison (deer) is served as a stew with Moroccan spices, house-made tahini and couscous, the roasted rack mounted on top.

The restaurant is friendly with the Federal, a neighbour down the block, and the two businesses use their sidewalk signs to playfully feud, trash-talking each other’s burgers and making food jokes.

One day in December, an employee at Antler picked up the chalk and wrote: “Venison is the new kale.”

“There was no offence meant,” Mr. Hunter said. “I’m not trying to promote a meat diet. I have a lot of respect for the vegan diet because I know how hard it is.”

But offence was taken. The sign caught the attention of Marni Ugar, who already had experience organizing animal-rights protests. Ms. Ugar, who runs a dog-walking business, A Bark in the Park, arranged a demonstration for Dec. 7.

The block has multiple other restaurants. Across the street is a butcher shop. Ms. Ugar says her main reason for picking Antler for her protest is to debunk the myth that raising animals in pastures free from hormones and antibiotics is more ethical than factory farming.

“People feel like they’re doing the right thing by going there. That they’re eating ethical meat,” Ms. Ugar said.

The first event was small and peaceful. Ms. Ugar and a group of six to eight gathered in front of the restaurant on a Thursday night with signs such as “speciesism = discrimination = injustice.” Over the winter, the protests grew larger and louder, activists chanting with megaphones outside the restaurant.

Some customers were amused. Some were upset. After a while, Mr. Hunter realized ignoring the protesters was not working. The restaurant had tried using the sandwich board to promote its vegan dishes: mushroom yakitori, sweet potato gyoza, vegan lumpia. But it didn’t work.

“The goal always is for a restaurant to go fully vegan,” Ms. Ugar said. “To reduce the animals they kill, for me, isn’t good enough.”

Walk-in traffic was down. Attempts to talk to the protesters had failed.

“I’ve left every time they came because it’s so upsetting,” Mr. Hunter said. “I just felt helpless. It’s hurting our business. I hoped it would fizzle out and go away.”

On Friday, March 23, each time the door opened, a shout of “murderer” reverberated through the restaurant. Mr. Hunter decided he’d had enough.

“This is who we are and what we do,” he said. “They’re offending us; I’m going to offend them. So I went and got a deer leg.”

The chef walked to the kitchen and brought back a cutting board, a knife and the hindquarter of a deer. He sanitized the table and then cut up the leg while protesters watched.

“When I was finished, I cleaned the area down and I went back to the kitchen. At the time, I felt like I had stood up for myself,” he said.

To Ms. Ugar, it looked like the chef was unravelling. “He was losing it because we were there disrupting his business.”

Despite the initial satisfaction, Mr. Hunter soon regretted the stunt.

“After, I didn’t feel good about it. I felt like they got to me and I played into them.”

The next day, Mr. Hunter received an e-mail from Ms. Ugar, offering to reduce the frequency of protests to once a month in exchange for an animal-rights sign to be displayed in the window: “Attention, animals’ lives are their right. Killing them is violent and unjust no matter how it’s done.”

Mr. Hunter responded with plans to introduce a vegan tasting menu and an invitation for Ms. Ugar’s group to join him on a foraging trip.

So far, Ms. Ugar has not responded. Although she said she is thinking it over.

“I’d always rather have dialogue. I want to sit down. I’m not targeting him. I’m there to defend animals.”

Ms. Ugar’s efforts have made a change. Since video of the protest and Mr. Hunter butchering the deer leg was posted online, the restaurant has seen a direct impact. Reservation requests are up.

Posts: 14697 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Should have thrown deer blood on the sidewalk or the protesters. I am tired of people protesting whatever they want to any business and there not being repercussions. How is that legal to do what they are doing? Maybe because it's Canada?

Posts: 6912 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Well done, chef!

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34142 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
She felt like he was taunting them? Nothing gets by her.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thawed out,
thrown out
posted Hide Post
quote:

“The goal always is for a restaurant to go fully vegan,” Ms. Ugar said. “To reduce the animals they kill, for me, isn’t good enough.”

Who made her the authority of anything?

quote:
On Friday, March 23, each time the door opened, a shout of “murderer” reverberated through the restaurant.

He has a right to run a business without his customers being harassed. What have the police done? Is it legal to follow Ms. Ugar with a dog whistle and a megaphone while she's trying to do her job?

Posts: 124 | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
Well done, chef!

I'll take mine medium rare, thank you. Big Grin

Posts: 13148 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Could only have been better if he'd opened the door and thrown the deer into a tree chipper aimed at the assholes.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3768 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post