SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Awesome Sandwich Thread
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Awesome Sandwich Thread Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
There is a chain in Michigan called Big John Steak & Onion. While they have other options I've yet to try them as I feel it's akin to ordering steak at Joe's Stone Crab. If you get the chance I recommend the extra meat with cheese, hot peppers and you have to have the red sauce.

https://www.bigjohnsteakandonion.net/

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I remember how much I used to enjoy a poor boy sandwich from Antone’s in Houston.

That was a long time (40 years) ago. Maybe my memory of the sandwich is clouded by the memory of the girl I used to meet for lunch there. I can’t even really say what it was I liked about the sandwich.

Posts: 26936 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Pittsburg. Primanti Brothers. Nothing else to say.....

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Since arfmel has opened the door to long ago memories, I still fondly recall the unbelievably large sumptuous Ruben sandwiches from Danzer's when it was located on the north side in Syracuse. Great German beers on tap to wash it down with although invariably half of that monster would be wrapped up to take home.

Changes of location and ownership have sadly diminished this once great sandwich.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16252 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
BLT from a couple years ago

Makings of a great sandwich

Posts: 4700 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
“still fondly recall the unbelievably large sumptuous Ruben sandwiches from Danzer's...”

Come to think of it, Giuseppi’s Old Depot used to sell a Reuben that I used to split with a big fat coworker. A huge and delicious sandwich it was. Unfortunately the last couple of times I was in Colorado Springs and went there the Reubens were nothing special.

Posts: 26936 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Believe it or not, the Reuben at Arby's is pretty darn good.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:

It's even better when you add Horsey Sauce to it. I put 1 whole packet on mine and it becomes extra good.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I wish I could have taken a better pic, but here's an Argentine version of a Club Sandwich that I bought a slice of for roughly $4.00. To say it was outstanding would be a terrible injustice. All the ingredients were fresh and delicious. Just a little sandwich shop in Buenos Ares, but I'm definitely returning some day!!!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10208 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:

It's even better when you add Horsey Sauce to it. I put 1 whole packet on mine and it becomes extra good.

Jim

I use either 3 or 4 packets of the horsey sauce on mine.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
I’ll take a Ferdie from Bear’s, Covington Louisiana. There is no finer sandwich.

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
In the late 50's or early 60's my mom harvested a recipe from Playboy magazine for an "Italian Submarine Sandwich" It proved to be so good that it was a staple of our home life growing up. As I recall the recipe:

Start with a fresh loaf of French bread, split horizontally, reheat in oven until lightly toasted and heated through before splitting. After splitting, remove some of the core to allow room for ingredients. I generally dig out about a half inch of bread "flesh" with my fingers from both top and bottom.

Add the following ingredients:

bottom half:

thin sliced Ham (see note (1) below)
thin sliced Salami (1)
thin sliced Swiss or Provolone cheese (it is OK to use both) (1)
thin sliced onion

top half:

thin sliced tomatoes (3)
think sliced cucumber
thin sliced pickeled pepperocini (Marzetti brand recommended)
sliced hard-boiled egg

after both sides complete, and before combining, sprinkle over both halfs:

oil and vinegar dressing (2)

Preparation notes:

1) the meats and cheeses should be sliced into strips, this allows more even coverage and fewer thick spots with an over abundance of one particular ingredient.

2) Dressing should be mixed immediately before the sandwich build, oil should be EVOO, vinegar can be wine, balsamic, or cider, bountiful amounts of salt and pepper in the dressing for seasoning

3) tomatoes must be fresh from the vine, preferably picked immediately before the build

4) ingredients should stand proud of the edges of the bread.

5) ingredients should, in general, be one layer thick, but the chef should use his judgment.

Less than a month until I'm picking tomatoes, after the ceremonial season opening BLT, this is always what I make next.

Posts: 6505 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Best one I ever had was on a cold windy day at Martha's Vineyard with a Nastygansett

Woa, easy, easy. Nuthin' wrong with sipping a tasty 'Gansett on the Vineyard, done it myself Smile

If I can't find a local sandwich shop I have had very good luck with Jersey Mike's across various states. One thing I miss about New England is good sub shops and good local "bar room" pizza.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This thread has me starving to death!! I do love me some sammich!!

Posts: 6630 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I'm a sammich nut, love 'em. The one thing I don't like is to go into a sub shop and tell them the one I want off their menu and then they start asking me how I want it made. A good sub / sandwich shop should know how to make a good one with out my help.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Pittsburg. Primanti Brothers. Nothing else to say.....

When working nights in the burgh, I'd stop at Primanti's in the Strip & get a sandwich to eat on the way home.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
I still fondly recall the unbelievably large sumptuous Ruben sandwiches from Danzer's when it was located on the north side in Syracuse.

I'd give my left nut for a Danzer's Rueben right now.

There's not many things that I miss about NY, but they are one.

Posts: 20125 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
I still fondly recall the unbelievably large sumptuous Ruben sandwiches from Danzer's when it was located on the north side in Syracuse.

I'd give my left nut for a Danzer's Rueben right now.

There's not many things that I miss about NY, but they are one.

I don't know about left nut but I sure do agree about missing those. Never have found anything close. They were a staple in my teens and twenties as well as in later years when I returned to visit relatives.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16252 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Gustofer,

Any of these places ring a bell besides Danzer's?

Coleman's -- Tipperary Hill
Weber's -- North Side
The Chalet -- Fayetteville
Seven Stone Steps -- Cazenovia
Griff's -- Manlius
Yellow Ballon -- Dewitt

Emailed you a similar question back in March 2019 but it was never answered. Probably ended up in your spam folder. Roll Eyes

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any of these places ring a bell besides Danzer's?

Coleman's I think I've been to, but not the others.

Dinosaur BBQ was always a good place too. As I recall, they sold out to new owners around 10 years ago and just aren't quite the same.

Posts: 20125 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post