SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Boston: Texas couple become first in nation charged under bump-stock ban
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boston: Texas couple become first in nation charged under bump-stock ban Login/Join 
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Z06:
I don't know about the rest of their stuff, but that Webley Mk IV .455 is definitely an infernal machine!

Since the Webley has been shaved for use with .45 acp I would indeed call it infernal. All good Webley’s should remain in .455 Eley as nature intended.

Posts: 3162 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Green Highlander:
Why the fuck does someone need a grenade launcher on a road trip?

Yeah, that slippery slope to madness.
Today a grenade launcher and tomorrow a bayonet lug, pistol grip and a barrel shroud.
When will the madness end?

Posts: 22952 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
Is it an actually a grenade launcher? Or is it one of those 37mm flare launchers? My money is on the latter.

Posts: 10202 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
The DFW local new outlets are saying that these two (from Frisco NW of Dallas) have a history of mental issues.
Their lawyer in this newspaper article says that the “accessories” are non-functional items that his client uses for demonstration purposes in his job.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:

Because an M1 Abrams is not street legal.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10501 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Local police are hinting the couple may have been planning something for the "March for Our Lives," but the connection seems weak. Methinks the guy is - to use medical terms - not all there:

"Bradley arrived at the motel after police and told law enforcement officials he had a Texas permit to carry a handgun — which is not recognized by Massachusetts. He reportedly told police he was “in this area working for a government agency that is dealing with a virus,” but would not say what that agency was.

Complete article:

http://www.bostonherald.com/ne..._our_lives_in_sights

Did Texas couple have 'March For Our Lives' in sights?

Dan Atkinson Wednesday, March 28, 2018

State police are investigating a Texas couple with a hoard of high-powered weapons — including an AR-15 with a grenade launcher and bump stock — after Tewksbury police raised suspicions they were staking out the March For Our Lives last weekend.

Francho Bradley, 59, and Adrianne Jennings, 40, both of Frisco, Texas, are being held without bail pending a dangerousness hearing tomorrow after they were arraigned for breaking numerous firearms laws — and are facing the nation’s first charges for possession of bump stocks.

The pair had driven up from Texas and rented a motel room in Tewksbury for two weeks when Bradley called police on March 24 — the day of the march — saying the video feed he had set up in his room had been disrupted and he was worried someone had broken into his room, according to police reports.

When police arrived at the room, they reported finding an arsenal — in addition to the AR-15 coupled with a grenade launcher, weapons strewn about the room included an AK-47, two other semiautomatic rifles, a shotgun, two pistols and three smoke grenades classified as “infernal devices” under state law, along with tactical vests and hundreds of rounds of ammunition.

Bradley arrived at the motel after police and told law enforcement officials he had a Texas permit to carry a handgun — which is not recognized by Massachusetts. He reportedly told police he was “in this area working for a government agency that is dealing with a virus,” but would not say what that agency was.

But Tewksbury police Detective Patrick Connor thought the couple may have been in the area for another reason. Police said they found multiple parking tickets issued to Bradley by the city of Cambridge dated several days apart — two at the exact same location in Kendall Square and one near that spot.

“Based on his frequent trips to Cambridge from Tewksbury and arsenal of weapons, my suspicions grew that he may be surveilling an area,” Connor wrote in the report, adding, “it should also be noted that I knew there was a major demonstration ‘March For Our Lives’ in Boston that day.”

State police spokesman David Procopio said the FBI and Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives are investigating the pair along with state police and the Middlesex District attorney, but so far had not found any information that they were targeting or “scoping out” the march.

“We’ve interviewed (Bradley) and he’s made certain statements to us. We’re still investigating his purpose in going to Cambridge,” Procopio said. “So far we have not determined anything to establish a nexus between him and the march, and nothing to suggest a wider group or conspiracy.”

Bradley and Jennings are facing 45 charges overall, including multiple counts of possession of a large capacity firearm and possession of a machine gun (bump stock), authorities said.

In February, Massachusetts became the first state in the country to ban bump stocks in the wake of last year’s Las Vegas massacre. Officials said Bradley and Jennings are believed to be the first suspects arrested for violation of the ban.

Posts: 15912 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did Texas couple have 'March For Our Lives' in sights?

oh for petes sake do we really need to draw this connection out of thin air to sensationalize guns further...

Heres a quote from the FBI,

State police spokesman David Procopio said the FBI and Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives are investigating the pair along with state police and the Middlesex District attorney, but so far had not found any information that they were targeting or “scoping out” the march.

A bullshit fear mongering article of fake news

Posts: 23594 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by zipriderson:
quote:
“A Tewksbury dispatcher received a call from Bradley where he allegedly stated that he believed his hotel room was being broken into because a video surveillance device that he had attached to his door had cut out,” prosecutors said in a press release. “The defendant allegedly expressed concerns that he was not in Tewksbury and that inside the room was a firearm that was unsecured.”
Who installs their own security in a hotel room. That seems odd.
Not a bad idea. I have had things stolen from a hotel room.

May I rephrase zip's question: "Who installs security in their own room and is then stupid enough to call the cops when there are several illegal firearms in the room?"

Lots of folks use their own security measures at hotels for many reasons.
One being having thousands of dollars in firearms being one.
As to why he called the police I am guessing part of the issue is he did not do a little research before traveling and did not bother to figure out what he could legally have in the state so he likely was unaware they were illegal.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25452 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
He should be charged with criminal stupidity...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:

I see no need for a grenade launcher period, but the first thought that comes to mind reading the above post is WTF does need have to do with anything?

Posts: 6926 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
quote:

Because an M1 Abrams is not street legal.

Even if it was, it would be a bitch to park in the parking deck. Too much explaining to do when handing it over to the valet.

Posts: 9171 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
[QUOTE]Uh...what's an "infernal machine?"

2006 Massachusetts Code - Section 102A. Infernal machine; possession; definition; notice of seizure.

Section 102A. ..."The term “infernal machine”, as used in this section, shall include any device for endangering life or doing unusual damage to property, or both, by fire or, explosion, whether or not contrived to ignite or explode automatically and whether or not disguised so as to appear harmless..."

So the 24" chain saw in my shed is an "infernal machine"?? How about the 10 gallons of gas stored in my garage?? Or the tractor mounted "saw mill" with no guards that was posted here a while back?? Seems like about anything could meet this definition. Certainly seems like ANY firearm could

Posts: 585 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
Ah, he was there to fight the zombie virus.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
What a bunch of maroons.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
He was a contractor with Fort Worth working on IT projects.

Posts: 1964 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
The dude sounds a bit off. And definitely a bit dumb.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I'll take my chances with a bunch of fucking loons possessing any type and number of firearms (to include "grenade launchers") in every-town USA, before I will trust any one fucking politician, government official or anyone who has sole determining power over the life of any citizen.

Any day of the week and three times on Sunday.

The moon-bats do not scare me, I can deal with them, if need be, but the others give me pause.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43926 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I was thinking the same thing about the Webley

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11308 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
So you have to surrender your bump stocks to the local police and you are out any money that you paid for them even though at the time you bought them legally? If they are going to enforce you to surrender they should be forced to pay you for it.

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wishbone:
So you have to surrender your bump stocks to the local police and you are out any money that you paid for them even though at the time you bought them legally? If they are going to enforce you to surrender they should be forced to pay you for it.
Is that nation wide or just in Boston.

Posts: 3933 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post