SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    It costs nothing extra to be kind to people.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It costs nothing extra to be kind to people. Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted
That was muttered to me by Bruce Gray 20 years ago. I had said or done something in the true fashion of being me.

In the last few years, I’ve really tried to take that simple advice to heart in dealing with people. I try. Sometimes I fail, but I try. Social media has become so damn toxic.

Last night, I was looking at the IG account of a well known, and well liked social media influencer in the firearms community. He posted a very classy post about Queen Elizabeth. There were several thousand comments that followed that were straight up hateful about the Queen’s death. He responded to a few of them just saying it was human decency that drove him to make the post as Britain is one of America’s allies. The comments then began to focus on him being a traitor to America, a “redcoat”, etc. and this guy has actually done a lot to further our Constitutional Rights.

I’m not preaching or lecturing anyone as I have been one of the worst offenders. But, it truly costs nothing to be kind to people.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37120 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
You speak the truth here, for sure. I’m certainly a fellow offender. I’m also trying to “take the high road” wherever possible and striving to be kind.

I think I saw the same IG post you mentioned. The “traitor” and “redcoat” comments are ridiculous, yet in a sad way also not surprising given the venue.

I find myself spending less time on social media thanks to its potential for toxicity.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6695 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well said, and thanks for the reminder, jones!

Posts: 1705 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
AMEN, Mr. Jones! We NEVER know what a kind word or how a randon act of kindness may change someone’s life. Just being nice to someone for 5 seconds may cause them to reconsider doing harm to themself. We never know…

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Was reading about the Queen's visit to Williamsburg,Va in 1957, when a woke gal started in about England taking land, then some other woke idiot started in about England causing slavery in America.

Idiot, boring drivel. These kind of people hate themselves, wake up every day hating some one.

A kindness would be never having to see or hear these people.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
The comments

Internet immunity and all that...

The hate and just common utter contempt for basic human decency that has come from the internet revolution will take a long, long time to repair.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I've had to stop reading a thread in another 2A forum I frequent because of the ignorance.

You don't have to be a royal follower, etc. (which I'm not) to recognize what an amazing woman and head of state the Queen was and show some damned respect instead of shitting all over a RIP thread.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16273 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Seems many people have consumed hateful content their entire lives and it oozes from their pores.

"You are what you eat."

I do my best to "eat" healthy.

And it really is not hard to be kind and decent, but the "repaying kindness for evil" is a big struggle for me.

I tend to be a mirror.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43926 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
case in point:
three weeks ago we visited a restaurant /bar three tiny towns away .

we made a special trip because we liked the waitress .

it was noon and i asked if it was ok to play the juke box since there were only two other patrons in the place at the time.

she asked if we were from Orion, and I said yes , she said she remembered us.

she said here's 12 free songs, thank you for the nice tip, last time.

you.

are welcome and thank you I replied.

if I have not learned anything else in this time on earth , I know for a fact that what goes around , comes around.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54706 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice story. Did not know there were juke boxes in restaurants these days. Good to know.

Posts: 17281 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Amen, brother.

And I can also be an offender. I'll try harder.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Social media has become so damn toxic.

You mean the place where one can go and say anything without the fear of being punched in the nose?

At least the Sniper in hiding out on the battlefield knows that there's indirect fire waiting for him.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8368 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Kindness and selflessness. These are characteristics of a refined individual.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29734 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Nice story. Did not know there were juke boxes in restaurants these days. Good to know.

its a tiny town, juke box, half dozen slot machines .

i guess bar and grill might be a better moniker

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54706 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I had jury duty the first week of August. My number got picked to go, so I arrived just before 8:00 at the court house. All the other people were haphazardly mulling around outside when the deputy opened the door. I walked right up to the front, grabbed the door and held it for everyone else. I don’t have any idea why, but I figured it has to start somewhere.

Posts: 11017 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
Picture of thomjb
posted Hide Post
Yep, Thnaks for posting thie!

Thom

"Tulta munille!"
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
SAF Life Member

Posts: 2835 | Location: SouthWest IN | Registered: August 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
Very true, and thanks for the reminder.

“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.”

Posts: 2473 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree! It costs you nothing to make their day, and who knows, it might make the biggest deal in someone's life.
I hope and pray that everyone on this Forum has a great weekend!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
So many have been spun into a war-like state over the issues. And as we've seen here so many times; often everything is seen through a political lens. It's sad.

I truly believe that the AI behind social media feed curation drives this divide. More troubling, it's quite possible many of the posts you saw were bots. Seeded and released for some nefarious purpose. To drive apart allies perhaps? Or perhaps, it's just the worst in us, trained like an athlete to pounce.

Posts: 11399 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here and YouTube are the reach of my social media and I agree that IG, Facebook and others are just a breeding ground for hate.
I'm not gonna say that my shit doesn't stink because I've made some rude comments on YouTube at times. Most of the time I ignore or try to be decent.
As for comments about the Queen of England, I never met her. I didn't like or dislike her but I will say that she seemed like one of the better people on the planet.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post