SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Homemade salad dressing recipes?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Homemade salad dressing recipes? Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted
I'm a fan of oil & vinegar I mix here using quality EVOO and balsamic vinegar.

Bottle stuff preferences are Ken's Steak House Creamy Caesar and Wishbone Chunky Blue Cheese.

DIY buttermilk dressing is said to be much like Ranch. That said I've never made either.

What do you folks favor for homemade?

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16253 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I go simple: (CA Olive Ranch Arbequina) EVOO, red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper and good orange marmalade (toast quality; specifically I use Scandinavian Delights). For variety, I'll use one of the other jams.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12752 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Mince one shallot and mix together with 1 Tbs each of dijon mustard and red wine vinegar. Slowly drizzle in 5 Tbs of quality EVOO while whisking. Thin out to the consistency you like with a little water and season with salt and pepper.

You'll never buy store bought dressing again.

I have a recipe for homemade ranch as well that is really good if you want that.

Posts: 20129 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Ceasar Salad Dressing is my favorite.
Dijon Mustard + Mayo + Garlic + Olive Oil + Vinegar + Lemon Juice + S/P and a few capers and Parmesan

Posts: 22941 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
3/4 cup good EVOO
1/4 cup vinegar of choice
1 T Dijon mustard
1 T honey
1 sm shallot, chopped
S&P to taste

Put all in a jar and zap it with a stick blender for a minute or two.

Posts: 9058 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
A steak salad with Chimichurri is pretty damned good

I prefer it made more cilantro than parsley

Totally stolen

shallot, finely chopped

Fresno chile or red jalapeño, finely chopped
3–4

garlic cloves, thinly sliced or finely chopped
½

cup red wine vinegar

tsp. kosher salt, plus more
½

cup finely chopped cilantro
¼

cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley

Tbsp. finely chopped oregano
¾

cup extra-virgin olive oil
Preparation
Step 1
Combine shallot, chile, garlic, vinegar, and 1 tsp. salt in a medium bowl. Let sit 10 minutes. Stir in cilantro, parsley, and oregano. Using a fork, whisk in oil. Transfer ½ cup chimichurri to a small bowl; season with salt and reserve as sauce. Place meat in a glass, stainless-steel, or ceramic dish. Toss with remaining chimichurri. Cover and chill at least 3 hours or up to overnight.

Step 2
Remove meat from marinade, pat dry, and grill.

Step 3
Spoon reserved chimichurri over grilled meat.

Posts: 5348 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

Ceasar Salad Dressing is my favorite.
Dijon Mustard + Mayo + Garlic + Olive Oil + Vinegar + Lemon Juice + S/P and a few capers and Parmesan
You forgot the anchovies.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30719 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Green Goddess

1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
1 tablespoon juice from 1 lemon
1/4 cup water
2 whole anchovy filets
2 medium cloves minced garlic (about 2 teaspoons)
2 cups neutral oil such as vegetable or canola
1/2 cup picked fresh tarragon leaves
1/4 cup picked fresh chervil leaves (if not available, add an addition 2 tabelspoons tarragon)
2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon hot sauce, such as Franks
1 1/2 cups strained Greek-style yogurt or sour cream
1/4 cup finely sliced chives
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Combine egg yolk, mustard, lemon juice, 2 teaspoons water, anchovy filets, and garlic in the bowl of a food processor. With processor running, slowly drizzle in oil until a smooth, tight emulsion forms.

When all oil has been incporporated, add tarragon, chervil, worcestershire, hot sauce, and water. Process until herbs are finely chopped.

Add yogurt (or sour cream or creme fresh), and chives. Whisk to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper, adding more worcestershire, hot sauce, or lemon juice as desired. Dressing should be highly seasoned.

Posts: 14688 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Salt. (I'm a primative.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer your first go-to. It's all I do regularly for my lunches I take to work. If it's dinner salad, I expect my wife or daughter to mix up something amazing. Haven't had a bottle of premade salad dressing in my fridge for over 10 years. We make it all from scratch.

---------------------------------
I know my nation best. That's why I despise it the most. And I know and love my own people too, the swine. I'm a patriot. A dangerous man --Edward Abbey

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say "I want to see the manager." - William S. Burroughs

Posts: 108 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post