SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Buying a used computer - how to check it out?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buying a used computer - how to check it out? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I'm in need of computer and looking to buy used for budgetary considerations.

I'm looking at M1/M2 based Macbooks.

Question: how can I tell if the computer is not stolen; that I'll be able to do a fresh OS install and use my apple ID and not have it brick out (don't iphones do that)?

Is it good enough for the system to attached to the network and be able to browse the internet? If stolen, it would brick once connected?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12762 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
If you are buying a used Mac, the only place I would buy from is Apple Certified Refurbished:

https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished

They actually go in and replace batteries and other major components in their refurb and certify them unlike a lot of other used/refurbished sites which are most likely doing a OS wipe and a quick cleaning and selling as "refurb". They also give you a new AppleCare warranty which you aren't getting from other sellers.

Posts: 33897 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
^ Or from a reputable member, here.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15394 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Original purchase receipt.

Box.

Matching serials.

Not reported stolen means only that it has not been reported stolen (yet).

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
There’s software diagnostics and stress tests that can be run on Wintel computers that will enable you to get a good indication how the computer is running if you know what you are doing. I’m guessing the same is available for Mac computers as well.

Barring that, stick with refurbs from Apple loke others have said.

I buy Dell refurbs quite often as they have same as new warranty. In fact, there’s a tech Dell sent to my house trying to fix my son’s school laptop under the next day service three year warranty.

Posts: 11027 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
If you are buying a used Mac, the only place I would buy from is Apple Certified Refurbished:

Thanks guys. Okay, refurb it is then. No need to repeat mistakes here, especially for this chunk of coin.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12762 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
quote:

Thanks guys. Okay, refurb it is then. No need to repeat mistakes here, especially for this chunk of coin.
If you're a U.S. military veteran, Apple will give you an additional discount, around 10%, which stacks on top of the 15% discount for re-furbs, so around 25% total discount. Neither discount is available if you order in person at the Apple store, you have to buy it on the Apple website. Free two-day delivery to your home, or you can have it delivered to an Apple store for pickup there.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30743 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
There are two points at which a Mac will phone home and check to see if it’s locked to someone else:

1. During setup, if online, it will check in with Apple’s device enrollment program. This is where it will say that the Mac is locked to a business or company.

2. On any 2018 or newer Mac you can check system properties, and then system report. On the first page at the bottom, it will say if it’s “Activation Locked” or not. If yes, then it’s locked to a persons iCloud account. Alternatively if you wipe the Mac at the startup options, it will check with Apple and “Activate”. This is also where it will say if it’s locked to someone’s AppleID/iCloud.

Used Mac’s aren’t scary. You just have to check these two lock points. Reach out if you want to chat more about it.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9163 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
quote:

I'm typing on a MacBook Pro refurb that I got back in 2011! It's been the balls. Sadly I'll soon have to replace it only because of it's age, I can't upgrade the OS as much as I need to and it also won't go to certain sites as a result. But it's been well worth the money!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38727 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My old tech guy at work said Apple Refurbished were safer than new. They’ve all been tested, while only a certain number of new ones off production are pulled and checked.

Posts: 412 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ That's exactly what I was told.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38727 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post