SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    German motorcycle jacket
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

German motorcycle jacket Login/Join 
Picture of msfzoe
posted
Several years I purchased a heavy duty German motorcycle jacket from a forum menber.
Lately several of the "POLICIA" letters are delaminating from the leather surface.
Any suggestions on how to remove the remains letters?
Tia

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Would it be easier to re-attach the letters? Probably have to do them all I suppose.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15575 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Think I used a hairdryer or a heat gun initially. I used fingernail polish remover on the glue. Not as aggressive as straight Acetone. Followed it up with Harley Davidson Leather treatment.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
If I remember back when I got mine I pretty much peeled them off and maybe used a little acetone for the stubborn little pieces. Love the jacket though, nice and heavy, and about 70.00 iirc?

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7507 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by msfzoe:
Several years I purchased a heavy duty German motorcycle jacket from a forum menber.
Lately several of the "POLICIA" letters are delaminating from the leather surface.
Any suggestions on how to remove the remains letters?
Tia

Your jacket must be displaying an unusually severe case of delamination as your 'German' Police Motorcycle Jacket would originally displayed 'Polizei' on the back...Either that or it now identifies as a 'Spanish/Portuguese' Police Jacket! Just Sayin' Razz

That said, 'shovelhead' has direct experience here and provides good advice on removing the remaining letters from your jacket. Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8880 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
I stand corrected.
Jacket now says"POLIZE"
The "I" is gone.
Think I paid around $70.00.
Great value.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Surplus German police jackets? I bought several of those when Midway was blowing them out. Really nice jackets. I can’t guarantee this will work and not wreck the jacket, but I took the lettering off the back of two of them with acetone. Tried it on the roughest of the bunch first. No visible damage to the jacket. Did it again in a nicer sample and again no visible damage. I wiped the letters down with a cloth dampened with acetone and the letters peeled right off. I went back later and used some mink oil on the jacket. Can’t even see there they were. There was some black dye transfer to the cloth, but there no visible difference on the jacket itself between where the letters were and the rest. That’s only going off my sample size of two though.

If they’re already peeling, a heat gun might work, but I think the odds of the heat gun damaging the leather may be as high as the acetone damaging it unless you absolutely soak it.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post