SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Receiving scam emails... from my own address
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Receiving scam emails... from my own address Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
I've gotten a couple of the "we saw what you surf and we tapped your webcam" emails recently. It's a well-known scam ("send us some bitcoin and we'll make it go away, otherwise we email it to all your contacts"). I haven't done the things they claim and I don't have a webcam, but the thing that bugs me is that the messages come from my own address. I've changed my email password a couple of times very recently, and this still comes through.

How does this happen? And of course, how do I defeat it? Confused

God bless America.

Posts: 13512 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
You don't have dual personalities do you? No expert, but would guess someone simply harvested your email and send out the spam.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Delete it and ignore any more such emails.

Posts: 107657 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
yep delete and ignore.

I'm also constantly getting texts that my cellphone bill is paid and here's a reward. Block and delete those too.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8024 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:

How does this happen? And of course, how do I defeat it? Confused

It's not your email address. They simply name their email address the same as yours to make it look yours. Get the actual DETAILS of the address and you'll see what the real email address is.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30415 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
It's not your email address. They simply name their email address the same as yours to make it look yours. Get the actual DETAILS of the address and you'll see what the real email address is.

That's what I want to learn next -- how do I figure out these details?

God bless America.

Posts: 13512 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I get these all the time. Delete and ignore as stated. I actually got two yesterday. I love watching some of the YouTube videos of “good guy hackers” calling up the Amazon and eBay scammers and totally screwing with them by capturing all their info and deleting their files.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's what I want to learn next -- how do I figure out these details?
The exact steps depend on your email client, in Thunderbird you would do View -> Message Source and then examine the headers of the message (the lines of text before the message content begins). Even then you are seeing only what the sender offers, the reality of their identity is not guaranteed.

Everything about how e-mail works is available at no cost on the 'net, but it is a deep and convoluted rabbit hole, and one must be very motivated to reach a high level of understanding.

Spoofing the From: address is a common attempt to bypass various anti-spam and other filters. This is as old as e-mail and means nothing WRT any "compromise" of your system. In fact, scammers will use this as "evidence" of a "security breach," it is not, and means nothing.

Posts: 6494 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
... but the thing that bugs me is that the messages come from my own address. I've changed my email password a couple of times very recently, and this still comes through.

That's because it's not really coming from your email address. They're just spoofing the "From:" address in the email headers.

I could easily send you or anybody else email appearing to come from you or anybody else, anytime I liked. It's not unlike caller I.d. spoofing.

Unlike CID-spoofing: If you could examine full headers you could easily see from where it's really coming.

quote:
And of course, how do I defeat it? Confused

By ignoring it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
in Thunderbird you would do View -> Message Source and then examine the headers of the message (the lines of text before the message content begins). Even then you are seeing only what the sender offers, the reality of their identity is not guaranteed.

This might be my rabbit hole for the afternoon....
The header starts with "Received: from 10.215.181.125" A quick search brings me a map image showing some location in Italy.

Maybe I'm doing this wrong.
Or maybe I'm wasting my time....

- - - - -
Edit: removed image.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vthoky,

God bless America.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
This might be my rabbit hole for the afternoon....
The header starts with "Received: from 10.215.181.125"

That's somebody's own private network. 10.215.181.125 is an RFC1918 IP address. RFC1918 specifies the IP addresses reserved for local area networks. RFC1918 addresses are not routable on the Internet. They are

10.0.0.0/8 (10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255)
172.16.0.0/12 (172.16.0.0 – 172.31.255.255)
192.168.0.0/16 (192.168.0.0 – 192.168.255.255)

quote:
Maybe I'm doing this wrong.
Or maybe I'm wasting my time....

Well, you are doing it wrong, but you're not necessarily wasting your time Smile

The Received: headers are in reverse-chronological order, with the most recent hand-off at the top. To find out from where it really came you find the first Received: header, starting at the top, that was stamped by your email system.

So, if your email is via gmail, you want to look at the first Received: header Google added.

You may see things like:

Received: from google by google
Received: from blurfl by google <--- this is the one of interest
Received: from blurfl by blurfl
Recieved: from random.ip.add.ress by blurfl

The difficulty of average end-users determining where email really originated is one reason I keep pushing people to use tagged (aka: "plussed") email addresses whenever they can.

E.g.: If you use a tagged address with PayPal, you receive an email that claims to be from PayPal that wasn't sent to the tagged email address you gave PayPal, you can be pretty darn sure it didn't really come from PayPal.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I've received scam calls that appear to be from my own number.
They seem to have technical skills I don't have but they're still just scammers.

Posts: 9528 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

The difficulty of average end-users determining where email really originated is one reason I keep pushing people to use tagged (aka: "plussed") email addresses whenever they can.

Hmm... okay, more learning for me to do.... Cool

God bless America.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Not at all complicated.

Example: Your email address might be MyName@foo.com. The Acme company wants your email address, so you give them MyName+Acme@foo.com -- the "+Acme" part could be "+anything."

Having done this, if you ever receive email addressed as MyName+Acme@foo.com, and this mail comes from a source other than Acme, you can conclude that either Acme sold your email address, or Acme was hacked and your email address was picked up that way. Either way, you have learned something about Acme. Wink

Most, but not all, places will handle the tagged ("plussed") convention. USPS does not accept this, but UPS and FedEx do, so if I am tracking a package that I am expecting, say maybe some ammunition (fat chance!), the email address that I supply to UPS or FedEx for tracking this, might be VTail+ammunition@gmail.com, assuming that my "normal" email address is VTail@gmail.com.

This lets me glance at any tracking information that I receive from UPS or FedEx and know what it's about, rather than wonder which of the expected incoming shipments is the subject of this tracking email.

You could also use the filtering rules of your email client to sort incoming mail into appropriate folders, based on the tag. Very handy thing, many uses.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30704 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
How does this happen? And of course, how do I defeat it?

Like said before the address is spoofed to appear it is from you.
Just like caller-id phone numbers.

You can't stop it.

Ignore it.

If you have a SPAM filtering service then it can be contained much more.
Unfortunately, you need to have your own domain to effective filter.
I haven't found any SPAM service to work well on a single email address.
I know some or many ISP's have some filtering to some degree but not extremely effective.
YMMV

Posts: 22927 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
quote:

Not at all complicated.

Example: Your email address might be MyName@foo.com. The Acme company wants your email address, so you give them MyName+Acme@foo.com -- the "+Acme" part could be "+anything."

V-Tail: You should not use "foo.com" for examples. That's actually a valid domain name.

For all examples involving domain names, use one of:

• example.com
  • example.org
  • example.net

Those are reserved by IANA (Internet Assigned Number Authority) for, tah dah!, example purposes Smile

quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Most, but not all, places will handle the tagged ("plussed") convention.

Furthermore: Some mail server systems do not properly handle tagged email addresses. Gmail does. Apple (iCloud) email does. Last time I checked, Microsoft (Outlook, etc) did not. (That may have changed.) I don't think Exchange Server does?

vthoky: I'm going to send you an email to a tagged email address. I'll let you know if it bounces. You can let us know if you receive it.

ETA: Your email provider rejected it, so you can't use tagged email addresses. Given what I saw of the email headers you sent me, I am not surprised.

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
ETA: Your email provider rejected it, so you can't use tagged email addresses. Given what I saw of the email headers you sent me, I am not surprised.

Interesting! Thank you for giving that a shot, and for your previous email. I've got a LOT more learning to do. Big Grin

Thank you, too, V-Tail, for the explanation of tagged addresses.

God bless America.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:

The "whenever they can" part is the reason I stopped using tagged email addresses. Almost all smtp servers are fine with it, but I kept finding fill in your email forms on web pages where the brain dead web developer has disallowed the "+" as an "invalid character", which of course it is not.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10789 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post