SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If you could do your 50's again?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you could do your 50's again? Login/Join 
Picture of dlc444
posted Hide Post
Im early into my 50s. Would rather hear about my 30s.

Shit year or two

-.---.----.. -.---.----.. -.---.----..
It seems to me that any law that is not enforced and can't be enforced weakens all other laws.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
It took cancer to get me to quit smoking at age 52.

Even quitting at age 50 is a good thing.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd rather take a mulligan with my 30s. Definitely would've loved to have done a better job with investments; less roll-the-dice risk-taking the second time through. Would've made my decision to leave my original profession that much easier.

Though admittedly I DID have a lot of fun the first time around. But had I known what some of these meds I "had to take" for my health would do 20+ years on, I think I would've sought alternative therapy.

-MG

Posts: 2001 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would have built my new house then, instead of now.
I got hurt bad at work in my 50s, but could not have helped that unless I had griped a lot more about the way things were being run.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Well at 62 I have a few thoughts.

I would have worked harder at keeping the strength that I had in my 40's. I'm physically fit and healthy today but my muscle mass has dropped. I started jujitsu at 52. Trained off and on due to living in rural America and the closing of several of the gyms I trained at. Would have put more time into learning to lift, Still on the mats and slowly working towards my purple belt.

I should have taken the LSAT at 48 instead of 58. Scored well enough, but I couldn't see taking on a significant amount of student loan debt that I only would have a decade or a bit more to pay off by working.

But all in all no regrets. House is paid off, kids all successfully launched and well into good careers. Still madly in love with my wife after 26 years of marriage. Working my ass off, just started a 9 credit hour class so that I can instruct EMS to the next generation of EMT's. Life is good in my sixth decade.

Posts: 11227 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
If I could redo the 1950s, I would set aside my aversion to it and go bird hunting with my father. It was an activity he really enjoyed and I know it bothered him that I would not go with him. I was reluctant because I knew he'd want me to actually shoot some birds, and I didn't want to do that. I'd have been happy to just be with him, but I was sure that wouldn't be enough. In his world, all males were hunters, and I didn't fit the mold. I have regretted this aspect of my life for many years. I was not the son he hoped for. (I didn't play baseball, either.) I never thought he didn't love me, but I could see his disappointment.

(Oh, you meant MY 50's. Sorry. I was quite happy with life at that age.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I'm 72 and all of the above covers it quite well. But one thing I would add. If you haven't already learn about what happens when your time is up here on earth. Jesus came to this earth for a reason. There is only ONE way to Gods heaven and that is thru accepting Jesus as Saviour.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm 67 now.

I should have bought Amazon stock in my 50s.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Save more money and invest more for retirement. I’m doing ok but it could have been better, had I put more aside at a younger age.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10492 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
stopped eating

Posts: 54661 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
No matter what age you choose, trying to do things that you did 20 years younger will eventually catch up to you. And it takes longer to recover. Frown

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I exercised at best sporadically in my 50s because I was consumed with work. Seems like an excuse, but I averaged at least 9 hours a day and almost always worked 6 days a week. When I got home after work, there wasn't any gas left in the tank. Since I wasn't exercising, I did work hard at eating right. I weigh just about the same now as I did in high school. But to sum it up, I would have worked less and exercised more if I got a do over. The good news is change is possible at any age. I started an exercise program the very day after I retired. I exercise 6 days a week and have more energy and muscle mass than when I retired.

Posts: 1054 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
Just turned 50 on the 15th. I had an early glimpse into decrepitude three years ago when I developed Psoriatic Arthritis. I don't see why people make jokes about arthritis. That shit ain't funny. Four pills a day and a shot every week has me feeling...50...again. I'll tell you what I'm doing. I'm ignoring shitheads. I'm working. I'm teaching. I'm hiking. I'm taking classes. I'm living. Everybody knows life is short but not everybody *knows* life is short.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ImpalaGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enidpd804:
I'm ignoring shitheads.

Sound advice regardless of age

Posts: 634 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: March 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I'm 66 in a couple of weeks and have always taken care of myself, I can thank Jack Lalanne for that. After going to the Midwest Regional water ski tournament last year, I noticed there were no skiers my age group, who skied for overall (combined scoring for competing in all three disciplines of water skiing: slalom, tricks, and jumping) I quit competition skiing in the early 1990s and am considering getting back into it.

I practiced each discipline this week with dreams of resuming competition next year. I feel good and energized about it, but I also understand why there are so few my age that compete in overall. I am in good condition for any age due to cycling since 1975 and constant skating since childhood, but have a fresh perspective of attempting something I last did in my late 30s. What I realize is if I can't train, I'm done. I must not get hurt skiing or doing anything else.

Relating this to advice for someone approaching their 50s, I'd suggest risk avoidance. Even as simple as thinking about how you lift and carry things to not damage back or joints. Think about things you do that risk injury and modify accordingly.

Posts: 7460 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t change a thing

Posts: 13283 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post