SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hvac start up question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hvac start up question Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
On the new construction for family the od AC unit is not running. Or has not run since installed(not needed until now)
Only the furnace has been needed.

It is a propane furnace. Tried to turn on the AC a couple of days ago. The Tstat is pretty basic. Went to cool, it was on auto. Adjusted the temp.

Did not come on. Went out to check the od unit. Was not running. Checked the fuse box and the 30 amp breaker was off. Switch on. Still nothing. There is a disconnect next to the unit. I am not familiar with it. So did not touch it. Wondering if there is something else to do to get the AC portion of the system up and running?

Have called the installer. Waiting for a response. He is a good hvac man but terrible about responding to calls for help or service.

Thanks guys.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: old rugged cross,

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19674 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Maybe the Tstat is wired wrong.

Get a new start up capacitor maybe? Probably not in a new unit.

Posts: 7380 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Wait for the HVAC Installer to start it up! Call The Man!

Has the system even been run before? Is the system fully charged? The Breaker was likely OFF for a reason!

ETA - It's possible there's leak/won't hold a vacuum, not enough refrigerant, etc. It could be any one of a number of things. Regardless, it's not a plug-n-play system! You risk damaging the compressor/condenser unit AND voiding the warranty by just energizing/running it without knowing anything.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9411 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
He has been called and nothing. Which is his routine.

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
The OD unit has not ever been run. It is an AC condensing unit, not a heat pump. Only the heat has been used. It is a propane fired high efficiency furnace.
The breaker was left off.

Wondering about the disconnect. It looks like you grab the handle and pull it out to disconnect. Looks like it is in the seated position, but not sure.

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Unless you know it was serviced for use, running it risks damaging the compressor.

The disconnect may be a "180 degree" disconnector, where the disconnect handle is pulled, and turn 180 degrees and re-inserted.

If it says "OFF" and "ON".

The other pullout type is a "pull out/leave out". It goes in either orientation, but both ways make contact.

Best to wait on the HVAC guy.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44405 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11964 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Unless you know it was serviced for use, running it risks damaging the compressor.

The disconnect may be a "180 degree" disconnector, where the disconnect handle is pulled, and turn 180 degrees and re-inserted.

If it says "OFF" and "ON".

The other pullout type is a "pull out/leave out". It goes in either orientation, but both ways make contact.

Best to wait on the HVAC guy.

I second this suggestion from sigmonkey.
Non responsive person is a disappointment.
HE should / needs to be held accountable. Maybe forward the bill from another responsive company.

Posts: 271 | Location: Stafford, VA | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
The OD unit has not ever been run. It is an AC condensing unit, not a heat pump. Only the heat has been used. It is a propane fired high efficiency furnace.
The breaker was left off.

Wondering about the disconnect. It looks like you grab the handle and pull it out to disconnect. Looks like it is in the seated position, but not sure.

Why are you messing with the equipment if it hasn't been turned over for use yet?

I would wait until tested and turned over by the installer, that way if it blows up you aren't stuck paying the bill.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21094 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:

The OD unit has not ever been run.

Why are you messing with the equipment if it hasn't been turned over for use yet?

I would wait until tested and turned over by the installer, that way if it blows up you aren't stuck paying the bill.

I was in the Appliance Repair vocation during high school, was a good 3-year class mainly on account of our instructor. Solid dude.

Had the opportunity to work at a few local shops during my senior year, ran service calls to homes in the area. The thing that persuaded me appliance repair wasn't my preferred career was having to try to figure out what the man of the house screwed up first, then make the actual repair after. Wink

In the industrial hvac world though I have had customers try to override equipment we've tagged out when we didn't have the proper lock-out device available.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1954 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Disconnect is in the OFF position and it looks like the wiring isnt complete (i only see one wire landed)

It is most likely off for a reason. Leave it OFF, turn the breaker back off.

The AC guy might assume that the breaker is still off and not check for voltage before finishing whatever he needs to do and get shocked in the process.

Also, there should be a plastic piece that covers the terminations so you can't reach in and touch 240V. Just another indication that the work has not been completed.

Leave it OFF, Turn the breaker OFF

Posts: 748 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
^^^
That's just a pic I posted to show the OP the ON/OFF" pull disconnect.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44405 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:

Any thoughts?

Yes, to repeat, turn off the breaker, call another AC company to come out and complete the install/first start.

Posts: 24165 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
He has been called and nothing. Which is his routine.

You said it was new construction.

Call the builder and raise Cain! Maybe he’ll get the sub to get off his ass…

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6461 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since it is not his house, I think the way to deal with it is by going to the lake and going for a swim. And staying hydrated, supposed to be 104 today.

Posts: 1832 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks Shawn, thought you would chime it. Razz

Appreciate the input guys.