SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Trey Gowdy Resigns From House Ethics Committee
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trey Gowdy Resigns From House Ethics Committee Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
South Carolina Rep. Trey Gowdy resigned his membership on the House Committee on Ethics to concentrate on his other legislative duties.

Gowdy, a Republican, tendered his resignation Jan. 11 from the powerful ethics committee. His new position as Chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee prompted the resignation, according to a letter Gowdy sent to House Majority Leader Rep. Paul Ryan.

“Accordingly, I tender my resignation from the House Ethics Committee pending your designation of a replacement,” he told the Wisconsin Republican. “Thank you again for this opportunity and thank you to my colleagues on the Committee for their hard work and friendship.”

Gowdy was aware that being elected in June of last year to the House Oversight Committee, which is responsible for investigating congressional affairs, required him to cut loose one of the other committees in which he’s involved.

“When I became Chairperson of the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform I knew I would not be able to keep all other committee assignments to include Judiciary, Intelligence and Ethics. Four committee assignments, including a Chairmanship, is a challenging workload,” he added.

His tenure in Congress has been a rocky one. Gowdy, who was elected during the Tea Party wave of 2010, used $150,000 in taxpayer dollars to settle with a former aide who alleged he was fired for not focusing his investigative work on former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, according to a report last year from The Washington Post.

A list of settlements the Office of Compliance released in December 2017 confirmed the confidential settlement reached between Gowdy, the Benghazi panel created to investigate Clinton, and Bradley Podliska, a military veteran who also alleged his supervisors acted against him after he left to fulfill his obligations as an Air Force reservist.

http://dailycaller.com/2018/01...d-tumultuous-tenure/

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
That man is one of my heroes. I wish I could vote for him.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27022 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would love to see his laser focus take on the Hillary boondoggle! There would be no weasel like escapes and he would tighten the noose nicely to get a conviction!

He Is No Fool Who Gives What He Cannot Keep,
To Gain That Which He Cannot Lose!

Posts: 593 | Location: central nebraska | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
He would be a good replacement for Jeff Sessions.

Posts: 9557 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:

Hell yes.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27022 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:

Man I'd love to see that.

He's shackled at the moment. We love his rhetoric, but what else can he do but that where he is now? Attorney General is a position for Gowdy where he could actually get stuff done.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30442 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
He makes a lot of noise but gets little done.

How can you like a guy that endorses Mueller's witch hunt against Trump?

http://www.washingtonexaminer....rrow/article/2626294

Posts: 4702 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Ginsberg needs to stroke the fuck out, and he can take her spot on the Supreme Court.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:

http://www.washingtonexaminer....rrow/article/2626294

I had similar thoughts about him recently. Makes a good show of things, but what ever happens? Between Issa and Gowdy bowing out, I have to wonder if that was more of the dumb show than we would want to believe.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

I just knew someone would say this. And I'll ask what I always do. What power exactly do you imagine that a member of Congress has to do more than mostly talk on matters such as these? Seriously. What can he do other than bring these issues to light?

Make him AG and actually give him some power, and I think you'd see a whole lot get done.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30442 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
Ginsberg needs to stroke the fuck out, and he can take her spot on the Supreme Court.

When Trump nominates another conservative to the court, I can't even imagine how crazed the Democrats will become. As the Bible says, there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Prior to the Mueller endorsement I thought he was fantastic. Now I think he's a worthless fuck head. He got on a bandwagon that is seriously hampering a fantastic president.

Posts: 7568 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Gowdy isn't alone when it comes to endorsing Mueller. Many on the Republican side will stand with Mueller and trust him steadfastly.

Gowdy has mastered the art of running to the end of his chain and barking. But as has been already stated not much else he can do.

He shows up once in awhile on some old episodes of Investigative Discovery as a prosecutor in South Carolina. Very effective.
He was my first pick for AG.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8540 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
All hat, no cattle.

Posts: 1816 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Sorry I can't provide specific links, but Sundance at Conservative Treehouse has in the past nailed Gowdy in specific terms for the way he, Gowdy, puts on a show. Sundance says that Gowdy is a well-paid-off part of the Deep State.

Not too long ago on Fox, I saw Gowdy do exactly what Sundance describes. He laid into Comey, in that pissed-off-prosecutor way he has, tore him up one side and the other, then he turned to Hillary in the same way. Tense, angry, laser focus on transgressions enumerated in that staccato voice.

BUT-- he winds up saying that he thinks Mueller is doing a fine job and can be trusted to be fair.

Whaaaaaaa???. Eek Roll Eyes

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11109 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
This is what Sundance at Conservative Treehouse has to say about Gowdy:

Gowdy is compromised. When Gowdy gave transparently guilty Clinton the exit he became attached to her outcome. Clinton now has leverage on Gowdy and it shows. Examples include Gowdy in WaPo criticizing Nunes investigation. and Gowdy defending Robert Mueller and Andy McCabe. When a black hat has leverage over you, you become useless. That’s why all the key white hat investigators have pushed Gowdy to the side. Nunes, Jordan, Goodlatte and Grassley are now on point. If Gowdy walks into a room where they are having a conversation, they will leave the room.

https://theconservativetreehou...iromo-vs-trey-gowdy/

Posts: 4702 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Thanks, doublesharp.

Posts: 11109 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
That man would be a perfect Supreme Court replacement. Perfecto.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15633 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
I am one of Gowdy's constituents and voted for him the first time. I will never vote for him again.

Gowdy is nothing but a party water carrier. You don't like Ryan? Guess who put his name in nomination for Speaker. Trey Gowdy.

I first knew something was up when Gowdy spoke with Lindsey Graham and Justin Amash at Furman University. Among other BS, Gowdy stated that nobody in Congress had done more about finding out what happened in Benghazi than... ...Lindsey Graham. Utter BS. Graham had supported arming the Syrian rebels, which was happening (illegally) through Benghazi.

Gowdy is always a reliable vote for the party establishment.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6070 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Gowdy has been brilliant at being a phony. But bit by bit, his mask is slipping.