SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question About Microwave In New Kitchen
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question About Microwave In New Kitchen Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
We are going to finally be doing a gut renovation of our very dated 1951 kitchen complete with yellow metal cabinets and baby blue Formica countertops in 2022.

I plan to have a Euro-style chimney hood above the gas range for ventilation and also being a former chef I like to sear and sauté things over high heat and often smoke/stink up the house.

So that means I cannot have a microwave above the range, which I’ve never loved anyway. I know it seems very popular, but I’ve never liked the idea of having above the stove.

I’m trying to research places to put this instead of just plopping one on the counter and taking up space? Can one still be mounted up on the wall between cabinets? I’ve also seen where they are in a pull out drawer?

Just looking for some ideas and suggestions on where to put one, thank you.

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve seen a few floor to ceiling cabinets with a double oven and a microwave above. Those kitchens had the stove top set into the counter.

Posts: 881 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
We've had them in hood and wall mount. Not wild about either. Current house had the microwave mounted in island cabinets under counter near cooktop and fridge. It's short enough that there's room for a small drawer underneath that's perfect size for plastic/alum wrap, baggies, etc.

We only use microwave for occasionally warming liquids/leftovers/etc. not cooking actual meals, sounds like you're probably the same. That occasional bending over isn't a nuisance. This is, IMHO, a perfect setup and balance of use of space. So much so it's incorporated into the kitchen plans for our retirement home we plan to start building next fall.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12418 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
In my last few houses, I've had the microwave mounted in the over-counter cabinets (like it was over the stove, but not actually over the stove), an under-counter drawer unit, and now mounted at counter-height in a section of floor-to-ceiling cabinets.

All three options have been just fine.

I also have a vacation place with the microwave over the stove. It is also fine, but I don't actually see any benefit to having it over the stove versus somewhere else in the kitchen.

One drawback to the drawer unit we had was that it had less interior height than the normal ones, so occasionally something I would expect to fit wouldn't, and it didn't have a turntable so stuff didn't heat as evenly. I'm not sure if those issues are common to most/all drawer microwaves.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Try half height upper cabinets with a shelf below to put a freestanding microwave on. I've also seen flush-mounted microwaves that work the same way, but look more "installed". And I like the controls and display at eye level.

Edit: A picture might help

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BBMW,

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I am a leaf
on the wind...
posted Hide Post
They make a specific "microwave cabinet" that I put mine in. It's a full height cabinet that has 3 drawers below the microwave, a cutout at counter height that houses the microwave and then upper storage similar to an above the fridge cabinet. It's all one piece, but you can keep microwave stuff in the drawers below and gives added storage above.

Posts: 2120 | Location: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: August 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Try half height upper cabinets with a shelf below to put a freestanding microwave on. I've also seen flush-mounted microwaves that work the same way, but look more "installed"

This is what I would want. Would make it pretty simple to replace if:
  • the microwave kicks the bucket
  • new technology or features make you want to replace it.
  •  
    Posts: 7258 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Big Stack
    posted Hide Post
    I just stumbled on an entire article on the subject.

https://www.crddesignbuild.com...ou-put-the-microwave

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Captain Morgan
    posted Hide Post
    I have that now and hate it. I have an electric stove glass top so I need to be extra careful.

I know people that have put them in the kitchen island if thats an option.

I would put on the outside wall so it vents directly out.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
    Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3865 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Salty Dawg
    posted Hide Post
    We redid our kitchen a few years ago and opted for a drawer-style model from Sharp that nicely matches our GE Cafe appliances. It's mounted into a cabinet that has a drawer beneath it. So far, it's been a great microwave and the Sensor Reheat option works great. My only VERY MINOR gripe is that the opening and closing takes a couple of seconds vs. a normal microwave where you yank the door open and slam it shut.

Posts: 696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Krazeehorse
    posted Hide Post
    Maybe on a shelf in a pantry style cabinet?

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    I Deal In Lead
    Picture of Flash-LB
    posted Hide Post
    Had a friend that knocked a hole in his wall and built a shelf that went back far enough that the front door of the microwave was more or less even with the wall surrounding it.

Looked great and worked great.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    My Time is Yours
    Picture of davetruong
    posted Hide Post
    If you are putting in an island, we moved our microwave there and enjoy it.

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6010 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Thank you
    Very little
    Picture of HRK
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by davetruong:

That is a good suggestion

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    paradox in a box
    Picture of frayedends
    posted Hide Post
    I've actually been impressed with the units that go in a drawer. They are made to open at the top so even if they are in a low cabinet they are easy to operate.

For us, we added a wall oven and microwave. This was in addition to a regular range. I like having the extra oven when I have holidays or parties.

ETA: Have the person that installs the vent pipe for your hood use 6" pipe. My builder used 4" and then the appliance guy explained that newer hood vents have 6". So we do lose some velocity due to the reduction.

I would not recommend Bosch appliances, but just for an idea here is what we did...

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12439 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Void Where Prohibited
    Picture of WaterburyBob
    posted Hide Post
    We're going to renovate our kitchen in a few months and have decided on a microwave drawer, the kind that sits sideways and is completely hidden.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16517 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Not as lean, not as mean,
    Still a Marine
    Picture of Gibb
    posted Hide Post
    We looked at a house with an Island Microwave, and I wasn't a fan. While a good idea I wasn't a fan of bending down to load/unload/stir in practice.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    After the 2016 flood , we completely remodeled the kitchen . We have a wall that is half drawers and half cabinets ( upper half ) . The MW now resides inside the cabinet , out of sight but at eye level . Since MW's are usually only used for a few minutes at a time it's no problem to have the cabinet door open while in use .

Posts: 4058 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Sailor1911
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by davetruong:

My son did the same when he gutted his kitchen. Built it into the island.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Invest Early, Invest Often
    Picture of TomV
    posted Hide Post
    Ours is like "Frayedends" set up.

We went with KitchenAid appliances. Been 2+ years and no issues, yet. The wife was very specific about having the Pull Down Door on the Microwave. It has worked well. Both the Oven and Microwave vent out the front.

Her other big thing in the kitchen was lots of drawers. Not as much bending over to get stuff out.

Posts: 1348 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post