SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ford truck folks - a question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ford truck folks - a question Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Dale the Builder has a Ford F150 XL. The registration says its a 2004. I ran the VIN, it also checks out as a 2004.

Trying to find a passenger-side mirror and NOTHING from 2004 is even close and the pictures of the body style are drastically different.

I looked at the same unit for a 2000 F150 and it's a match. WTF?

In 2006, I bought a GMC truck and had a choice of "classic" or "new" body styles, which were quite different. Did Ford do something similar with the F150?

If not, anybody know what the hell is going on? AFAIK, it hasn't been wrecked and repaired and it's not a "salvage" title.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15240 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
That was a transition year I believe so yes, both body styles were likely available.

https://www.carfax.com/Used-2004-Ford-F-150_z17226

There's a link to some for sale that shows both styles as a 2004.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Probably built during a transition of the model. My 2011 BMW 328i was built in spring of 2010 and has a lot of 2010 parts.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Twist:
That was a transition year I believe so yes, both body styles were likely available.

https://www.carfax.com/Used-2004-Ford-F-150_z17226

There's a link to some for sale that shows both styles as a 2004.

Ah. That explains it. Thanks!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15240 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
He has a 2004 F150 Heritage model

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25429 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
That was a transition year

LOL... every ford truck I've worked on had more than a few parts that listed 2 or 3 different parts for the same year and many times I've get the transition year line or it depends or both when getting parts.

I inherited a nice 2000 F150 XLT 4x4 a few years ago, it is a bad dream when I need parts for it.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I saw a current Maverick on the road.
Just this past weekend.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15898 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:

That was the year they went from the roundy body style back to a more squared off look.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, that is what Rockauto is showing as well. 04' outside mirror body & glass.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1113 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
quote:

That was the year they went from the roundy body style back to a more squared off look.

That’s what I was thinking, same thing GM did in 1999 when they introduced the rounded style. Ford did the same thing in a sense in 1996, but they kept the 1996 year model on the square trucks and introduced the more rounded style in very early ‘96 as a 1997 as I recall.

All domestic manufacturers seem to be doing this these days, to an extent at least. Hell, Ram apparently still offers the previous style of trucks called Ram Classic, even though the updated style has been available since the 2019 model year.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
He has a 2004 F150 Heritage model

Yep Ford came out with the new body style in 2004. My friend got bought the first one that hit Baton Rouge. And my girlfriend bought a 2004 Heritage. I messed up part people if you didn't tell them the difference.

Posts: 13021 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
For as long as I can remember, Ford’s been using left over parts on new vehicles. I learned, years ago, you’re better off if you can take the old part with you to the parts store. If you don’t, there’s a good chance you’re going to make more than one trip.

I’ve noticed, in the last few years, if you get parts at the dealership, they’re more interested in the VIN than the year. If I give them the VIN, I get the right part the first time.

Posts: 3239 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
If you are replacing a broken right mirror or could take the left side off, there should be some part numbers somewhere on the backside of the parts.
Do a search for those numbers, even if it's the trim part, and that may get you the info you need to order.

Posts: 9523 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post