SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Containers for Flour/Sugar/Etc.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Containers for Flour/Sugar/Etc. Login/Join 
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted
I like to use airtight containers for flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking soda, powdered sugar, etc. The reason is for convenience and, let's face it, original containers generally suck for these ingredients. I currently have these:

https://www.amazon.com/Prepwor...dp_s_web_12660365011

While I like the designs and sizes, they crack VERY easily.

I'm lookin at alternatives (like this), but am curious what other forum kitchen folks are using.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: flesheatingvirus,

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have these ones for flour and sugar: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d..._mob_b_pd_title&th=1

We have a large family, and Mrs. Outnumbered bakes a LOT. Since she needs to store 10# of flour/sugar in an accessible manner, these work well for us. I don't think they're absolutely airtight, but close enough for how quickly we use our bulk items.

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Really nice ones are the OXO brand with the spring loaded push down button in the center of the lid.

Or,I tend to use the Rubbermaid thicker plastic ones with the red lid that come as a big set and have never had an issue with them

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
the Rubbermaid thicker plastic ones with the red lid

For me, too. I got a really bad pantry moth infestation some years ago and found that airtight storage was the only way to prevent recurrence. I don't keep them sitting on the counter so they don't need to be pretty.
My larger quantities live in the downstairs pantry in five gallon buckets with Gamma Lids.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I prefer my flour and sugar to be in a pie Big Grin

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
I prefer my flour and sugar to be in a pie Big Grin

Well, that’s the plan! Razz

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Tupperware, old as hell Tupperware. Been married 34 years and honestly I think it came with the wife. It still works, some of the lids are a touch loose now.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5149 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3659 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^love ‘em. They store and stack neatly as well.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mason craft and more glass jars with the wire bail closure top.

Posts: 1178 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Ball, a maker of canning jars, makes jars with hinged, gasketed lids that have a mechanical clasp latch on them. The quart one is the perfect size for an 11.5-oz. bag of ground coffee. They make bigger ones. I got mine from Wal-Mart. (This was several years ago.)

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
Glass would work well, but exacerbates the fragility issue. Plus, there are 2 small offspring running around.

The OXO ones look good; are they brittle? If one hits the floor from the counter, would it shatter?

Picture of fvyellowbird
posted Hide Post
My wife just went with the OXO stuff, I’ve been using one for my coffee for years. She’s got flour, sugar and all the cereals in them. A little pricey, but I like them and the seem pretty sturdy although I haven’t dropped any on the floor.

Hell, is other people! J-P S

Posts: 1140 | Location: St Simons Island, Georgia USA! | Registered: October 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyanide357
posted Hide Post
I think the oxo container bodies are made from polycarbonate - so pretty strong.

A full drop of a full container would probably survive. If the container cracked ot would most likely be limited, and I doubt it would do so in an explosive manner like glass would. Worst case I would expect the lid to pop off on impact, which of case could be messy depending on how much the container thrashed around after the initial impact.

Posts: 249 | Registered: November 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post