SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    North GA people: Fly Fishing trip Planned for October
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

North GA people: Fly Fishing trip Planned for October Login/Join 
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted
Any suggestions as to what flies work well up there? Ocoee River and other nearby streams.

Thanks,

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20388 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
http://goldrushtu.org/ga-hatch-chart/

I'd go with the October Caddis. Hungry fish, big-assed fly, and little technique needed. Just splash them out there and catch a mess of them. (Put a pheasant tail dropper on it if they aren't hitting well.)

It's my favorite hatch around here.

Posts: 20565 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
http://goldrushtu.org/ga-hatch-chart/

I'd go with the October Caddis. Hungry fish, big-assed fly, and little technique needed. Just splash them out there and catch a mess of them. (Put a pheasant tail dropper on it if they aren't hitting well.)

It's my favorite hatch around here.

Caddis hatch in spring around here. Late spring early summer in the mountains.

I've never fished the Ocoee... never really known anybody that fishes it because it is pretty poorly regarded for fishing. Toccoa, Hiwassee and Tellico much better in GA and TN.

Before you go, call Jimmy Harris at Unicoi Outfitters in Helen Ga and talk to him about what to bring. Toccoa has a DH season where the stockers eat a lot of egg patterns and junk.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: YellowJacket,

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10571 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Hope you catch a coffee can full of nice ones. Smile

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. We will probably get to the Toccoa as well and a bunch of smaller streams around the area.

Thanks,

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20388 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post