SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Swap the Outback for a Ridgeline?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swap the Outback for a Ridgeline? Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
That $10k is the cheapest money you could ever spend over 300k miles when comparing the Ridgeline vs a Maverick. The Ridgeline is hands down easily worth $10k when compared to a Maverick. That is a no brainer in every sense.
Really? Just what percentage of people keep a vehicle beyond 100k miles let alone 300k miles? Answer, not many. A new RTL-E Ridgeline has an MSRP of $47k (I just priced one on Honda's website), and that's without the Honda dealer price bump on top you can expect in today's market. For that money you can buy any of three or four 'real' trucks that carry more, haul more, and tow more. And I was short on my estimate of the difference in price. A well equipped 2022 AWD Maverick can be had for around $27.5k versus the near ~$50k for a Ridgeline, so the difference in price is more like $20k.

I'm not here to hate on the Ridgeline as I think it's a nice vehicle, and if it could be bought in the mid to maybe high $30k range, I'd have a completely different view of it. That said, when you're talking purely about 'value', the Ridgeline does not measure up against other $45-$50k offerings.

Oh, and as someone who's detailed a huge variety of vehicles over time, the paint on my wife's Honda Pilot as well as the paint on my MIL's CRV has got to be the worst paint/clearcoat I've ever detailed. The paint and the clearcoat is thin 'and' soft, so it nicks and scratches at the drop of a hat. The paint on my 20+ year old F150 is 100 times the quality. IMO it is absolutely inexcusable to lay down that kind of paint/clearcoat on any car being sold today.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Are you replacing the Subaru because you want a new car and are just asking if the Ridgeline makes a good light duty car-truck? Yes, the Ridgeline is a good car-truck.

Are you asking if you *should* replace the Outback with a Risgeline to increase utility? Then, no, just drive your Tundra to your matches.

Have you mathed out your savings with actual numbers? Even with the Tundra's mileage being half of the Outback, my guess is that your overall savings is nominal.

Use the Tundra for truck things. It excels at that.

Use the Outback for everyday. It excels at that.

You already have the optimal configuration--separate tools designed for different roles.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Could a Ridgeline replace both your Tundra and Outback? If so it could make perfect sense. But probably a little less sense if you have to keep the Tundra because then you end up having two pick-ups. I can't offer a direct comparison between a newer Outback and Ridgeline but I've owned a number of Subaru's and my SO had a 2012 Outback which I drove some. I bought my 2018 Ridgeline in 2017 and it now has just under 50,000 miles. As far as the AWD system, the Ridgeline's is every bit as capable as a Subaru, if anything Honda's S-Awd is better. IMO a Ridgeline will be smoother, quieter, much more comfortable, and will handle every bit as well as an Outback.
It won't be able to carry as much cargo inside in the back with seats folded up, as in an Outback with the rear seats folded down, but when you add the Ridgeline's trunk it might be pretty close. Honda did a nice job with those rear seats in the sense they are pretty comfortable and are open underneath which permits things (rifle cases, golf clubs, etc.) to fit. And folded up they are completely out of the way. Ridgeline's front seats are the best of any vehicle I've owned. A few years ago a friend came over with his brand new MDX and we both took turns sitting in it and my Ridgeline as they were side by side, and interestingly the Ridgeline's seats were a little larger and even more comfortable.

It's really not fair comparing a Ridgeline to a Maverick because the Ridgeline is just a nicer, more luxurious and more capable vehicle. Just as an Acura MDX is compared to a Ford Escape, they're different classes of vehicle which the price reflects. As far as price, if you can do w/o the outside sound system or sun roof, a new Ridgeline RTL lists for $41,000 and comes very well equipped including leather seating.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Bigdeal’s posts crack me up. He’s a Ford man (I am formerly) and just can’t admit that American car quality doesn’t stack up against Honda and Toyota. I got tired of being a beta tester for GM and Ford so they forced me to become a Toyota and Honda man. I’d rather pay a little more on the front end than pay more on the backend with more repairs. And not only that, less headaches with dealing with downtime and dealing with mechanic shops and stealerships.

As far as paint goes, you want paint to be as thin as possible to minimize chipping. That’s one of the reasons you see refinish jobs usually chip easier than your original factory paint.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Exactly, it would make sense to pay $20k more for a new Ridgeline vs a new Maverick even if you drove it to 150k miles. The resell alone would come close to cove the $20k in 7-8 years. As I said, it is a no brainer, except in beal deal's no brain scenario. Sorry big deal Smile
Btw a couple of weeks ago we could of walked otd with a brand new top trim 2022 Ridgeline for $45k. Wife wants an Suv.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19190 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
I'm not here to hate on the Ridgeline as I think it's a nice vehicle, and if it could be bought in the mid to maybe high $30k range, I'd have a completely different view of it. That said, when you're talking purely about 'value', the Ridgeline does not measure up against other $45-$50k offerings.

I like the Ridgeline, and I actually agree.

I bought an upper tier first generation Ridgeline new in 2008 for $28k out the door. Even with inflation, that's under $37k in 2022 dollars. I drove it for 10 years and put around 140k miles on it, and still got $10k out of it when I sold it. Loved that "truck".

When I went to check out the second generation Ridgelines a couple years ago when they were reintroduced, I was disappointed that the price had jumped so much. Like you, I'd seriously consider buying another one if they were mid-high $30k, as my previous Ridgeline was (effectively). But at nearly $50k, I'm out.

Posts: 32517 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

When I went to check out the second generation Ridgelines a couple years ago when they were reintroduced, I was disappointed that the price had jumped so much. Like you, I'd seriously consider buying another one if they were mid-high $30k, as my previous Ridgeline was (effectively). But at nearly $50k, I'm out.

Guys prices on all trucks are more than they used to be. You don't have to buy the most expensive model, a nicely equipped AWD Ridgeline RTL with leather and even moon roof only lists for $41,000. Heck a damn 6-cylinder 4wd Dodge 1500 with cloth seats that's not equipped nearly as well lists for more.

https://automobiles.honda.com/...L12fgaxoCmz8QAvD_BwE

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too have a Subaru (Outback). I have a roof rack and I’ve installed a hitch and a rack. Between the hitch rack and the roof rack, there’s plenty of room for 4 large hunters with rifles gear and 2 large bucks. I’d keep the Subaru and find creative ways for everything else.

Posts: 507 | Registered: February 14, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 2017 RTL-E and absolutely love it. Would buy another one in a heartbeat!

War Eagle!

Posts: 129 | Location: Alabama | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had an 08 ridgeline and loved it. Never had any issues with it whatsoever before I traded it in with 160k miles. The ‘trunk’ storage compartment was really cool. I even used it as a cooler a couple of times.

It’s definitely not good for any significant off road activities, but for slippery road conditions it would suffice.

P229 Enhanced Elite
P229R
P229

Posts: 60 | Location: Ga | Registered: August 01, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
Bigdeal’s posts crack me up. He’s a Ford man (I am formerly) and just can’t admit that American car quality doesn’t stack up against Honda and Toyota.
Uh, no. Go back and read my posts on Ford vehicles as a whole. I've been incredibly critical of Ford as a auto manufacturer. IMO Ford has fallen a long way from their previous successes. As to Honda and Toyota, I absolutely agree that overall they are far superior in terms of build quality. And if we were talking Accord, Camry, Civic, or Corolla I think those are outstanding 'value' offerings. Its overall value for the money spent that bothers me with the Ridgeline. IMO, its a very good vehicle, its just too expensive for what you get. That's my only issue with it.
quote:
As far as paint goes, you want paint to be as thin as possible to minimize chipping. That’s one of the reasons you see refinish jobs usually chip easier than your original factory paint.
Quality of paint and its application dictates the durability of the paint. I can't tell you specifically what the issue with Honda paint is, but I've personally detailed several Hondas over the last half dozen years and the paint on all of them was horrible. They chip and scratch faster than any other car I've detailed, and running a buffer on the paint is an exercise in frustration and anxiety.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
True story, he’s not a Ford fanboy. The Ridgeline is as long as the Ranger and 5 inches wider than the Ranger. Wouldn’t the Ranger be the Ford vehicle to compare prices with the Ridgeline?

Posts: 10953 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Exactly, it would make sense to pay $20k more for a new Ridgeline vs a new Maverick even if you drove it to 150k miles. The resell alone would come close to cove the $20k in 7-8 years. As I said, it is a no brainer, except in beal deal's no brain scenario. Sorry big deal Smile
Btw a couple of weeks ago we could of walked otd with a brand new top trim 2022 Ridgeline for $45k. Wife wants an Suv.
Really? So an opposing opinion is "No brain". Wow. Thanks. Just make sure when you do your comparison you add in the consumer interest on that $45k+ Ridgeline purchase over 60 to 72 months as many people opt for today. And there will be 'zero' preferential financing deals on the Ridgeline, where Ford offers those daily. I will fully admit the Maverick is not established at this point given its a brand new model, so it could indeed turn out to be a disaster. Time will tell on that. But on a purely dollars basis, short of the Maverick being that disaster, it will be the less expensive option based purely on the large difference in initial pricing.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
The Ridgeline is as long as the Ranger and 5 inches wider than the Ranger. Wouldn’t the Ranger be the Ford vehicle to compare prices with the Ridgeline?
A couple reasons why I'd avoid the Ranger at current. One, the current model is going to be replaced with a new model this fall, so the jury's out on how good or bad that vehicle will be and how much it will cost. Two, the ride quality and characteristics of the Ranger will be inferior for people considering a Ridgeline given the body on frame design. And three, and this is my opinion, the Ranger is also a bad 'value' choice given its overall cost. That might be the reason Ranger is currently fourth in category trailing the Toyota Tacoma, Nissan Frontier, and Jeep Gladiator (which is not really a traditional truck). And comically, the Maverick, a brand new and unestablished vehicle at current is selling in higher volumes than the current Ranger, which has to have Ford worried about just how many Ranger sales will be cannibalized by the new little truck.

Personally, I'd love to see Toyota go back to selling a small truck again given the size/price of the current Tacoma. Their small trucks were incredible in the past, and would offer the Maverick buyer another choice in that size/price category.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I’m saying size wise, the Ridgeline is a midsize like the Ranger and other vehicles you mentioned and its price should be compared to those vehicles rather than the Maverick.

The Maverick will absolutely cannibalize Ranger sales on price alone. The Maverick is what the Ranger should have been. My dad had a V6 Ranger with a 5 speed manual in the 90s. It was a great little truck. You could reach into the bed and grab whatever. I swear the bed on the current Ranger is taller than my F350’s bed.

If I were the OP, I’d take a look to see if the Ridgeline could replace both the Tundra and Outback. Why pay insurance on a third vehicle that barely gets used?

Posts: 10953 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
New Ford Maverick for the win. It's the Ridgeline in a bit smaller, less expensive, and more fuel efficient package.

I went to look at a Maverick a week ago -- no stock and no orders are being accepted until November...

Pragmatism: the relentless pursuit of seeing things as they really are.

Posts: 172 | Registered: September 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

I like the Ridgeline, and I actually agree.

I bought an upper tier first generation Ridgeline new in 2008 for $28k out the door. Even with inflation, that's under $37k in 2022 dollars. I drove it for 10 years and put around 140k miles on it, and still got $10k out of it when I sold it. Loved that "truck".

I had the G1 as well, 2006. I bought a new one in 2019. RTL AWD. I paid 33.5k brand new. 2019 was the last year without standard Hal9000 so I was able to gut the audio system completely with aftermarket. I now have my own RTL E version with much better audio system, headunit, app based alarm, etc for much less money. It’s a 20 year truck for me.

The problem with pricing on them now is the same as any other new vehicle. You’re getting jacked. It’s so bad that MSRP is a good deal seeing as most are trying to get ADM. Honda priced it the way they did to knowingly sell them for less so the customer feels they are getting a good deal. At what I paid there is literally no advantage in spending 50k for a full size. I have no use for the additional towing capacity whatsoever and I don’t like how BOF trucks handle, at all. The Ridgeline is literally perfect for most use cases but in America most people buy trucks for image reasons.

My tow needs currently are up to 2500 lbs. And I use it to tow most weekends from late April all the way until late October. In my future, a 19’ or 21’ jet boat and it will tow either just fine. Compared to the Outback, the Ridgeline has a much more advanced AWD system seeing as the rear half shafts torque vector. It’s the best handling truck on the market due to the SH-AWD, and outstanding Unibody chassis (a benefit if you don’t tow heavy loads). It also has greater payload than a Ford Raptor. Outside of towing heavy loads, which it certainly cannot do, well it’s going to drive better than any truck on the market doing normal stuff. It even handles dirt and mud quite well and the AWD system has a few modes for such. I have even towed a full size truck out of some mud with it. And the same guy had lipped off about it prior.

I guess OP, what matters is do you need the hatch more, or a bed? Are you ever going to tow with it? Ridgeline handles better. It also has a better transmission. I’d agree with getting rid of the OB and the Tundra as I think the RL could pull double duty and eradicate some insurance premiums for you. I was sold on the G2 the minute I test drove it and put it through some turns. I loved my G1. The G2 is an improvement in every way.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12640 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Personally, I'd love to see Toyota go back to selling a small truck again given the size/price of the current Tacoma. Their small trucks were incredible in the past, and would offer the Maverick buyer another choice in that size/price category

Same here. Seems no one makes a 'small' pickup any longer. I remember my dad drove a Luv for a while at his job. Nothing like that available today. Heck, the 1st generation Colorado wasn't what I would call 'small'. It was maybe the size of the later Toy Taco. And the update is even larger. Would be nice if say Honda would take a Civic or Accord and give it the "El Camino" treatment and add a small bed. Or if Subaru would bring back something like the Baja. With rising fuel costs, it would make sense. I'm sure a lot of couriers would love something like that as well.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
who is it making the Ridgeline look alike. is it Kia? Our family has an older Kia and it has been a good rig.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19190 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
who is it making the Ridgeline look alike. is it Kia? Our family has an older Kia and it has been a good rig.

At this time the closest is Hyundai's Santa Cruz, and it's more of a Subaru sized type vehicle, smaller than both the Maverick and Ridgeline.

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/us/en/vehicles/santa-cruz

Posts: 23461 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post