SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Got a new (to me) trailer. Need a brake controller.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got a new (to me) trailer. Need a brake controller. Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
I used the SIGforum search engine and it seems Tekonsha is the way to go. So I’m going with Tekonsha. However when I put my vehicle in the website it says none of them work with my truck.

I’m thinking that’s because the connector needs to be cut because aren’t the brake controllers pretty much universal.

I don’t need anything fancy but if it’s worth it I’ll pay for it. What’s your suggestion for a model?

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I always buy from etrailer.com. Really helpful people. Make sure you fully understand your vehicle wiring and don’t assume the wire that is labeled as the tbc is active. As an example the gm truck i had required a special wiring connection from the power at the fuse box to the relay for the tbc. Absent the special wiring i was about to hook up the tbc to a gm signal wire that was not working.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5053 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
The truck came with a brake controller pigtail. The wires on it are clearly labeled. One does say “Signal”. Maybe that’s why it’s not listed for my truck. I should have just ordered the truck with the factory brake controller. I assumed it was included with the towing package.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
There should be some instructions with that pigtail

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
I’ll dig through the glove box tomorrow. There wasn’t anything in the zip bag but there’s a big sticker on it with the wiring labeled.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mark123,

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I have a Tekonsha universal pigtail. Let me know if you want it and I’ll dig it out. Free of course.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I would check the owners manual as well

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would check the owners manual as well
It shows how to use the factory one but I didn’t see anything about installation. I’m sure there’s a YouTube video for me.

Picture of 98XJRC
posted Hide Post
What truck? Most of the vehicles you can purchase a premade system that will go from the factory controller end and plug into your vehicle. Our 07 Ford Expedition has a plug available under the dash just to plug a controller into, just needed the correct extension and it was plug and play.

Posts: 782 | Location: PA  | Registered: December 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
With GM trucks up to when I retired in 2017 from dealerships you cannot add the factory brake controller, programming issue if I remember correctly between the BCM and the ABS controller or the PCM, forget exactly what it was.

The question was answered in a TSB from GM.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I want a proportional controller, not a time-delayed, correct?

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
I found a paper in the glovebox that lists the connections from the pigtail to the TBC.

posted Hide Post
What specific truck are we working on?

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gene Hillman:
What specific truck are we working on?

2020 Chevrolet 2500 HD WT gas engine.

Aren’t the TBCs all universal? It’s just figuring the connections, right?

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I went with the Tekonsha Prodigy iD. It should be here by Friday.

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I just kinda wonder about the weight of the trailer? That truck can handle a lot.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
It was a pretty clean install. The hardest part was taking apart the dash.

It started snowing on me while I was installing it so I did a quick and dirty zip tie job on the wires.

That little panel that I installed the knob into had fallen out about a year ago and the local Chevy dealer was supposed to fix it under warranty. They claimed it needed a new panel and would call when it came in. They never called so they can shove it. I made better use of it than if they just put a new blank panel in anyway.

No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
That's pretty fargin cool, never saw one like that

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's pretty fargin cool, never saw one like that
It’s spiffy.

We’re buying our next car from you. Our local guys are total losers. I really hope i don’t need any warranty work because they’re inept.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
I always buy from etrailer.com. Really helpful people. Make sure you fully understand your vehicle wiring and don’t assume the wire that is labeled as the tbc is active. As an example the gm truck i had required a special wiring connection from the power at the fuse box to the relay for the tbc. Absent the special wiring i was about to hook up the tbc to a gm signal wire that was not working.
I did go through etrailer.com. Thanks for the tip.