SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Getting back in shape....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting back in shape.... Login/Join 
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
Congrats Jeff! You are a good man and we want you around for a long time to come here on the forum!

This past November (5 months ago) my FIL had a health scare after a routine visit with his eye doctor. The doctor noticed an enlarged blood vessel in his eye which was due to his diabetes. FIL had been diagnosed with diabetes a few years earlier and had been "managing" it with pills. Anyways, diabetes didn't really seem to bother him, even the diabetic nerve pain which likely will never go away but the thought of losing his vision really scared him into seeing a nutritionist.

He was overweight for sure. He started his new plan the week prior to Thanksgiving. Basically low simple carbs, and more fruits and veggies. Since then, he's lost over 60lbs. He has gotten off almost all of his diabetic and blood pressure medication, what he is still on he is only taking half of. He was at 300lbs, and is now in the low 230's with a goal weight of 220.

So, you can get there. You just got to commit to it and do it. The human body is a marvelous thing and heals quickly. I watched a documentary on netflix called Forks Over Knives. It really encouraged me to also start taking care of myself and I have lost over 30lbs myself. Before I started eating better, I had some pretty scary numbers on my bloodwork. I'll be taking more bloodwork in a few weeks to check my progress. Good luck to you sir. Don't give up.

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4321 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost, but making
good time
posted Hide Post
Good luck with everything Jeff. Getting your health back is very important. You've got many people and fur kids whose lives you've touched depending on you being around for them.
Know that there are a lot of people here pulling for you!

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

Posts: 10458 | Location: St Augustine | Registered: March 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
4 weeks, 21 pounds.

Posts: 12947 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Vitamixer can be your friend.

Posts: 13069 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
4 weeks, 21 pounds.

That's awesome. Congrats.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16450 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
I have lost 18 lbs. since December just started eating right and smaller amounts , I don't work out it's just a slow steady thing figured it took me a year to put it on it will take a year to take it off by then it wont seam so dramatic.

This is where I'm at, I lost 22lbs since December 22nd. I cut out butter, white breads/pasta, cheese, ice cream, desserts, even mostly red meat etc. After the first month, you don't even miss the fatty foods you used to eat.

Jeff, don't overdue the working out to where you burn yourself out. Focus on the slow and steady and stick with it.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Round is a shape

said that to my sister once after she made some comment about getting in shape...
she was very much not amused.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1565 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
The universe has its own way of evening itself out. Keeping things level.

I've been gaining weight.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dbltap
posted Hide Post
Reap the rewards young man. No doubt a good mix of aerobic and anaerobic training, high protein, low carb, fat and NA+ will make you honed, happy, hungry and horny.

Posts: 458 | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of katndog
posted Hide Post
nice up date! good job

Posts: 2638 | Location: CT | Registered: October 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I'm trying to drop some pounds and get in better shape. It's a real bitch as one gets older. What a struggle!

Posts: 11983 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
I'm trying to drop some pounds and get in better shape. It's a real bitch as one gets older. What a struggle!

It sure is.

I told my wife that I've had to slow down the past couple of years. The body aches more than it used to, seemingly aches for no reason. I can still run and jump with the guys in their early 20's but now I actually have to train up for it.

Jeff,

Have you considered taking up bicycling? It's great exercise and easy on the joints. Beware it can get addicting and expensive.

Posts: 13291 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I'm kind of in shape. I just now lifted a 334 pound gun safe off it's back to standing upright. All by myself and a couple 2x4s

Posts: 6401 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:
I'm kind of in shape. I just now lifted a 334 pound gun safe off it's back to standing upright. All by myself and a couple 2x4s

I used to be able to bench that much weight in my 40's. Now, I'll be 68 in October and finally after 2 years of either in the doctors' office or hospital every other week, I may be able to start walking again.

For some people, aging sucks.

Sgt. USMC 1970 - 1973

Posts: 411 | Location: Columbiana, Ohio  | Registered: May 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Today I did 20 sit-ups. Same yesterday. Not because I had to, to keep to a schedule. Because I wanted to. And curled some weight. Not a lot, just enough to feel the burn.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mas4363:
quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:

I used to be able to bench that much weight in my 40's. Now, I'll be 68 in October and finally after 2 years of either in the doctors' office or hospital every other week, I may be able to start walking again.

For some people, aging sucks.

Sucks indeed. I'll be 68 in 2 months.
I have always been (or used to be) somewhat athletic, strong as an ox, and maybe 2x as smart

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6401 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I was walking 5+ miles a day, lifting weights, staying active, and seems like the day I turned 50 I fell apart. In the past 6 months I've stayed sick, I am now barely walking a mile a day and sometimes not that. My weight lifting isn't happening, hell, I can't even breathe without hurting right now.
I know once I get over this mess I'll be back in the gym, but I'll be starting from scratch again. I'm just trying not to gain much weight back until I can start back.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3635 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tell everyone that once I turned 65, the warranty expired.

Sgt. USMC 1970 - 1973

Posts: 411 | Location: Columbiana, Ohio  | Registered: May 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post