SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Getting back in shape....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting back in shape.... Login/Join 
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted
Someone once said that if you walk 20 miles into the woods, you have to walk 20 miles out.

I feel great but I have a lot of work to do. I had my first Pilates session today. It was hard but felt great. I used muscles that I haven't used in a long time....maybe ever. It was like working out and stretching at the sale time.

I have severe Spondylosis so I can't do ant lateral work yet. My right leg is numb and painful 70% of the time but I'm working to figure out what I can do. I'm doing Pilates twice a week. I stopped taking pain meds when I went to Duke as to not mask pain. I need to be able to find my limits physically and I couldn't do that on the medicine.

After 55 minutes of Pilates I hit a new machine called a TruStep....think elliptical but done sitting down. I need the back support. I can get a great cardio workout without pain. I'm going to try and do this 5 times a week.

I am also working out in the pool 3 times a week and walking a minimum of 30 minutes a day....15 minutes up the mountain and 15 down. I'll increase this every week as I drop weight.

I have a fitness tracker and my goal is 10,000 steps a day. I did 8,000 yesterday.

I was recently diagnosed at Duke weight and fitness center (spent a week inpatient) with The Beetus so I am on a low carb diet, currently 1500 - 2000 calories a day. I started this last Monday. As of this morning I've lost 14.5 pounds. Today is the first day I haven't been hungry so I'm happy about that. My Beetus doc at Duke is one of the top 5 in the country. He assures me that with weight loss, a good diet and consistent work outs I can get my numbers back into the normal range.

I have more energy and am happier than I've been in a long time. I regret waiting so long to do this but here I am. This is hard work but it beat bariatric surgery and it also beats dying. Big Grin

Posts: 12947 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Round is a shape

Posts: 109047 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good luck to you. I am trying to lose 30 pounds by October for my sons wedding. Don't want to look like a slug.

Posts: 1341 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Round is a shape

+1

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Yep I am rotund round, dropped 90 pounds, cut out whiskey, wine and sugar... It's leveled off and my sugar dropped big time.

Now I have to move on to that sweaty exercisy thingy.

Have a cruse to Alaska in August so need to drop a few more pounds, ok a lot more...

Posts: 24233 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Round is a shape

I learn something new every day. Thanks.

Posts: 12947 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
I have more energy and am happier than I've been in a long time.

A lot of people don't get that, and never will, because they'll never do it. When you work out you get an endorphin release similar to that from eating chocolate or having sex. And you feel better about yourself. And you can do more things, more easily. You'll probably sleep better, too. I know I do. All those effects can actually moderate, or even cure, mild depression.

All without drugs.

quote:
I regret waiting so long to do this but here I am.

Good on you!

quote:
This is hard work but it beat bariatric surgery and it also beats dying. Big Grin

Yup Smile

The trick is turning it into a way of life. Once they start feeling good some people begin to forgot how things Used To Be, (some of) their motivation goes missing, they fall back into old habits and, before they know it...

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
nice work Jeff, keep it up. It can be done! Rootin for ya.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8239 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
I am amazed at how much exercise impacts my mental health. When working out regularly, I believe that I'm making the necessary enzymes to metabolize fat, and my brain chemistry changes to where I feel more confident and ready for the crazy world we live in.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26758 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I get that from tacos. You have to eat them late at night, though.

Posts: 109047 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Jeff thanks for the update,keep up the work.

Posts: 22420 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

The trick is turning it into a way of life. Once they start feeling good some people begin to forgot how things Used To Be, (some of) their motivation goes missing, they fall back into old habits and, before they know it...

Which is where I am. Lost 135 lbs, and turned around one day and had gained 50 back. Now I'm trying to get back to my routine to get those 50 lbs off again, and it's twice as hard, if not more so.
Good job getting started Jeff. The first steps are the hardest.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3635 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good for you brother!

I sleep better and my energy level is way up when I stay in a good groove of around 2,000 calories a day and at least 30 to 45 minutes solid of getting after it walking / running. I feel like a slug when I don't so that motivates me to get my ass in gear in move around.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Hang in there, Jeff.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15529 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8178 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
I get that from tacos. You have to eat them late at night, though.

Guess I should have added the obligatory YMMV. Wink Late-night tacos just give me the farts ... Razz

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26758 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gasche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Yep I am rotund round, dropped 90 pounds, cut out whiskey, wine and sugar... It's leveled off and my sugar dropped big time.

Now I have to move on to that sweaty exercisy thingy.

Have a cruse to Alaska in August so need to drop a few more pounds, ok a lot more...

Absolutely a must if you're going to be rocking that speedo in Alaska.

Posts: 748 | Location: Western Washington AC | Registered: August 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gasche:

Absolutely a must if you're going to be rocking that speedo in Alaska.

screengrab

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good for you. I hate exercise classes. I have been doing our tread mill. Bout killed me the first 3 weeks. My health just went downhill since I had my gall bladder out.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I have lost 18 lbs. since December just started eating right and smaller amounts , I don't work out it's just a slow steady thing figured it took me a year to put it on it will take a year to take it off by then it wont seam so dramatic.

Posts: 5677 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post