SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Going to Maine in October
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Going to Maine in October Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
I'm going to a conference in Bah Hahbah in October and need some advice.

I'm wondering about bringing a weapon with me. While Maine seems to have permitless carry for residents and non-residents,

Handgunlaw.us also states that they do not honor a MT concealed permit. So...what does one do to stay within the confines of the law?

If I were driving out, I'd bring a pistol and not worry about it for a second, but since I'll be flying in I figure it's best to be up to speed on the rules.

Also, it's been nearly 30 years since I've been in or around Acadia. Any suggestions for what to do or see these days?

Posts: 20121 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
It's pronounced "Baahh Haahbaahhh"

That "Note", I have trouble understanding what it means. The first sentence seems ... to lack conclusion.

Are they saying that if you have an out-of-state permit and your state restricts, say, concealed carry in pet stores, then you cannot carry in Maine pet stores?

Why not ditch the idea of having an out-of-state permit when in Maine and do as Maine law allows, which is carry concealed without a license?

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
Why not ditch the idea of having an out-of-state permit when in Maine and do as Maine law allows, which is carry concealed without a license?

That's kind of where my confusion starts.

Posts: 20121 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure the confusion. Here's the reference material on the law if you do not have a Maine permit. https://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/...weapons_permits.html
Permitless carry is generally pretty good but obviously less beneficial than permitted carry here. You might be able to get a non resident permit by your travel time if the differences are near what the state police processing time is right now (varies). Permitless Acadia is out.
Happy to answer any specific questions.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11007 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Not sure the confusion. Here's the reference material on the law if you do not have a Maine permit. https://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/...weapons_permits.html
Permitless carry is generally pretty good but obviously less beneficial than permitted carry here. You might be able to get a non resident permit by your travel time if the differences are near what the state police processing time is right now (varies). Permitless Acadia is out.
Happy to answer any specific questions.

Well, aside from the statewide carry laws, this one is confusing as well:

quote:
It will still be illegal to possess a firearm in the following places, with some very limited exceptions:
Acadia National Park (12 M.R.S. § 756)

As I understand it, one can carry in National Parks now. How is Acadia exempt from that?

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
You might be able to get a non resident permit by your travel time if the differences are near what the state police processing time is right now (varies).

From what I'm reading, I don't need a non-resident permit. Or...do I?

posted Hide Post
you do not need a permit, in general, to carry concealed. A permit covers some specific cases and allows certain rights above the permitless ones. Acadia is one of them. The Federal law that permitted carry in national parks just flows the issue to the State's rights. So in Maine you have to have a permit to carry concealed there.
http://legislature.maine.gov/l...2/title12sec756.html
Hope that helps.

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
So, I can bring a pistol with me and carry everywhere, legally and without concern, except in Acadia where I'd need a special permit?

posted Hide Post
There are other exceptions to carry that are listed in the state police document I posted.
But if those exceptions are not a problem for you (and I suspect in Bar Harbor everything but the bar exception would not be a problem) then yup good to go.

Picture of Gary Slider
posted Hide Post
When Maine pass permitless carry they didn't change their reciprocity law. Maine just honors everyone who honors them. The states set the carry rules for National Parks not the Feds and Maine has laws that state a permit valid in Maine is required to carry in Acadia. If the person would have read more than just the first short paragraph at www.handgunlaw.us they would have seen the following.

The following locations are off limits to those carrying under Permitless Carry in Maine. You have to have a Maine permit or a resident permit from a state Maine honors to carry in the below listed areas.

Acadia National Park (Permit required; (12 M.R.S. 209 §756)

State Parks (Permit required; open carry not permitted; (12 M.R.S. 220 §1803)

Regular archery hunting-deer only (Permit required; (12 M.R.S. 915 §11403)

Employees’ vehicles on work premises (Permit required; vehicle must be locked and firearm
must not be visible; (26 M.R.S. 7 §600)

Allagash Wilderness Waterway (Park Rule 2.19D) Open Carry Not Allowed.

Note: Carry in the places listed above require a Maine Permit or a Permit/License that the state of Maine honors. Maine does not honor all other states permits even though they are a permitless carry state. You can see that information at the Maine State Police website Here. (Here is a link to the Maine State Police that tells about this)
https://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/...weapons_permits.html

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.

Posts: 490 | Location: New Martinsville, WV | Registered: February 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
I don’t understand why people would feel the need to carry a gun in Maine. Maine is not Chicago. I’d be more concerned with fried clams and lobster rolls.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Going to Maine in October

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
I’d be more concerned with fried clams and lobster rolls.

Oh, there'll be plenty of that too. I fully intend to gorge myself on seafood in every way possible.

As far as the carrying issue? Well, you just never know.

Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Don’t forget Kittery Trading Post. Take a copy of your favorite gun dealer’s paperwork.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Haddock! They have haddock in Maine! (Haddock is my favorite fish, and it's very hard to find here in Dallas.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
A big difference between permitted carry and permitless carry is the duty to notify... if you get stopped by an officer, you MUST notify unless you are carrying with a valid permit. (I would notify anyways, but that's another topic).
There is also the federal "gun free school zone" laws, that the permit benefits.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3355 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
If you can, check out the L L Bean main store.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK I live here, right nearby. Why on earth would going to LLBEAN be on the list? Ok maybe the oddity of going shopping at 2am. But otherwise?

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Early October, probably still beautiful. Late Octobrrrrrrrr...

Posts: 18081 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Early October, probably still beautiful. Late Octobrrrrrrrr...

Mid. Should still be nice color-wise. Hopefully.