SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A kind word about Warne Scope Mounts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A kind word about Warne Scope Mounts Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
I think Warne makes a quality mount. I've got a couple of their XSKEL mounts for my MSRs. After I got over my obsession with "QD" everything, I realized the weight savings in mounts which aren't QD. The XSKEL is a good one.

I had some ancient threadlocker cause a couple of screws to seize and when I tried to remove the screws the steel cap screws backed out of the aluminum mount, leaving me with cap screw, ring screw and ring all together, with no way of removing the cap screws without damaging them.

This is not a problem with the mount, but instead it's my fault for being too liberal with threadlocker.

I contacted Warne to see about getting replacement parts, which I fully expected to pay for. I received a response to my email inside of half an hour, with a full set of cap screw and ring screws in the mail to me today.

Damn good service. Made in the USA. Warne Scope Mounts

Posts: 107465 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
That is great service.
I use clear nail polish for most scope mounts and it has served me well over the decades

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I use Blue Loctite

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Some companies really get it. Spread a little goodwill & all of SIGforum hears about it.

Pro tip for the future:

A hot soldering iron applied to the head of the screw will often heat the Loctite enough to release it without any damage to anything else.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I love hearing stories like this one. Bless these companies who understand what great customer service is. It is a philosophy that starts at the top. Good for Warne.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19155 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Same here! Many companies spend so much on marketing & sales when they could save some money & increase sales by having better customer support. Good will doesn't cost much but can really help with sales due to reputation.

quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
I love hearing stories like this one. Bless these companies who understand what great customer service is. It is a philosophy that starts at the top. Good for Warne.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
I have nothing but good things to say about Warne Scope Mounts. Very good customer service.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The threadlocker was not Loctite. I use VibraTite VC-3, and I use it to avoid this very kind of thing. I've used VC-3 for years, swear by the stuff. You apply it to screws long enough before use to let it dry- about a half an hour. It dries to a rubbery compound that's easily peeled off of screws.

That is, except in this instance. I think perhaps I had a tube of very old VC-3 I used when I mounted this scope. I can't think of any other reason for this weirdness.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

posted Hide Post
I've been pleased with Warne's products both in price and quality. They make some great mounts. Good to know they're a good customer service outfit as well.

Posts: 5158 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
I have four sets of Warne scope mounts/rings - two of them of the QD type.

I've never found them wanting in any way - quality products, made in America, by a company I know at a price that I can afford. The identical mounts for one of my .308 rifles with a Picatinny rail fit from Apel was over $450 - ten years ago.

Posts: 11313 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree completely. I have at least half a dozen Warne rings/mounts. I always suggest Warne when asked! A buddy bought a new rifle. I suggest Warne rail. The bolt pattern didn’t match. I contacted Warne and talked to a very knowledgeable guy with a great attitude. He informed me the rifle manufacturer had changed the bolt Pattern, and gave me the proper part number.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1124 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
I use clear nail polish for most scope mounts and it has served me well over the decades
The original thread locker. Wink

Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
I like the QD rings I have on my 336. Good stuff!

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’m a big Warne fan, on many rifles.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Also, interesting to note is this advice from the Warne tech:

"I also advise against using any type of thread locker in the future on rings. A little is okay on screws for bases, but not needed on a good quality mount."

So, I followed his advice and re-mounted the scope using no threadlocker on the ring screws. It's easy enough to check proper torque of the screws after returning from the range. We'll see if this works. I can always add threadlocker later on if needed.

Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Unfortunate that the simple act of treating customers slightly better than average makes a company stand out.

My short list of companies I am loyal to was shaped by very similar experiences. And my list is SHORT.

BARSTO
Hogue
DaBigBR here on the forum
I'm sure I'm missing 1-2

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6302 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I have a number of Warne scope mounts on rifles and they have served me well over the years. I've never had a need to contact their customer service so it's good to hear they went above and beyond for you. Thanks.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5034 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was surprised to see a sign banning carry of firearms in the office. I was stunned and less than appreciative so I asked about it. Apparently the sign went up when some Californian bought them @ 4-5 years back. Regardless, it's still good product but I won't support them.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post