SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mandatory Backdoor Kill Switch For Your Car Buried In Biden's Infrastructure Bill
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mandatory Backdoor Kill Switch For Your Car Buried In Biden's Infrastructure Bill Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted
quote:
Source: hothardware.com:: Buried In Biden's Infrastructure Bill Is A Mandatory Backdoor Kill Switch For Your Car

One of the most concerning things we've heard so far is the revelation that this "infrastructure" bill includes a measure mandating vehicle backdoor kill-switches in every car by 2026. The clause is intended to increase vehicle safety by "passively monitoring the performance of a driver of a motor vehicle to accurately identify whether that driver may be impaired," and if that sentence doesn't make your hair stand on end, you're not thinking about the implications.

Let us spell it out for you: by 2026, vehicles sold in the US will be required to automatically and silently record various metrics of driver performance, and then make a decision, absent any human oversight, whether the owner will be allowed to use their own vehicle. Even worse, the measure goes on to require that the system be "open" to remote access by "authorized" third parties at any time.

The passage in the bill was unearthed by former Georgia Representative Bob Barr, writing over at the Daily Caller. Barr notes correctly that this is a privacy disaster in the making. Not only does it make every vehicle a potential tattletale (possibly reporting minor traffic infractions, like slight speeding or forgetting your seat-belt, to authorities or insurance companies), but tracking that data also makes it possible for bad actors to retrieve it.

More pressing than the privacy concerns, though, are the safety issues. Including an automatic kill switch of this sort in a machine with internet access presents the obvious scenario that a malicious agent could disable your vehicle remotely with no warning. Outside that possible-but-admittedly-unlikely idea, there are all kinds of other reasons that someone might need to drive or use their vehicle while "impaired", such as in the case of emergency, or while injured.

Even if the remote access part of the mandate doesn't come to pass, the measure is still astonishingly short-sighted. As Barr says, "the choice as to whether a vehicle can or cannot be driven ... will rest in the hands of an algorithm over which the car's owner or driver have neither knowledge or control." Barr, a lawyer himself, points out that there are legal issues with this whole concept, too. He anticipates challenges to the measure on both 5th Amendment (right to not self-incriminate) and 6th Amendment (right to face one's accuser) grounds. He also goes on to comment on the vagueness of the legislation. What exactly is "impaired driving"? Every state and many municipalities have differing definitions of "driving while intoxicated."

Furthermore, there's also no detail in the legislation about who should have access to the data collected by the system. Would police need a warrant to access the recorded data? Would it be available to insurance companies or medical professionals? If someone is late on their car payment, can the lender remotely disable the vehicle? Certainly beyond concerns of who would be allowed official access, there's also once again the ever-present fear of hackers gaining access to the data—which security professionals well know, absolutely will happen, sooner or later. As Barr says, the collected data would be a treasure trove of data to "all manner of entities ... none of which have our best interests at heart."

The people running our government are interested in controlling everything.

Where are the instructions for that "Summon Comet" spell I got of Styxhexenhammer666's website?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31453 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Putting 5,000 individual topics into a single bill is something that needs to end. Maybe we could do that by sneaking that language into one of these monsters where it won't be discovered until after it's voted into law.

One bill. One page. Simple English.

If you want to pass 5,000 things, then schedule 5,000 votes.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15722 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Our government "leaders" contemplating this need to be drawn and quartered. They want nothing short of total control of everything. It need to be stopped.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
This was coming anyway, at least the monitoring and reporting of driver stats. You'll get a EULA with your new vehicle, allowing the manufacturing companies data division to know and monitor everything "for warranty" purposes, and then they'll sell the data to insurance companies.

Posts: 23481 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
Putting 5,000 individual topics into a single bill is something that needs to end. Maybe we could do that by sneaking that language into one of these monsters where it won't be discovered until after it's voted into law.

This is where my mind went when reading this as well. It’s absurd how these giant bills of thousands of pages get introduced and voted on without the reasonable possibility of reading them.

Everything that changes a law, or adds a new law, should have to be identified in its own line item in the introductory paragraph with reference to any modifiers or qualifiers elsewhere in the bill. Enough of this bullshit.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The potential abuses of this technology are endless.

Posts: 3483 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cookster:

And pretty easy to disable from the vehicle side.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Doesnt matter how easy it is to disable, it shouldn’t be something ever contemplated to begin with

The guy that thought this up should be stood up in front of a wall

Posts: 53195 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:

I could not agree more. I would further bet that each one of us, as kids, believed that was the way it worked.
Until we all eventually found out the ugly truth.

I believe I will write my representatives an demand they write and pass a bill that does away with the multiples. Honestly, it eventually needs to become a constitutional amendment.

Posts: 7266 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by Cookster:

And pretty easy to disable from the vehicle side.

Depends on how it's implemented.

If the car needs to check in with the "mother ship" every so often, and is unable to do so, then the car itself might go into sleep mode until reset.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jtedescucci
posted Hide Post
"2340" - I understand your concerns; they make perfect sense to me. However, I must approach "the problem" from a somewhat selfish point of view. As I see things this little maneuver will likely only affect folks who have the where-with-all to go out and buy a new car. And I am decidedly NOT in that group. As a matter of fact, I left that group about 30 yrs ago when it became common for new cars to cost around $10,000. And, as I am PROBABLY near the end of my string anyway I will just be content to keep my little Dodge truck running until "the day". There are just SOME of these battles that it will be impossible for old geezers like me to fight. As much as I don't like it I can see that it will be necessary to leave some of these battles for the younger generations. All the more reason to equip them with accurate historical facts and critical thinking skills... FredT

"...we have put together I think the most extensive & inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics." - Joe Biden

Posts: 3043 | Location: AC/Clarksville | Registered: February 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Car, 2027: “I’m sorry Citizen, but you do have have enough credits on your Mandatory Social Credit score to be permitted to operate this vehicle today. Please try again tomorrow. Be well!”

Posts: 33827 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:

Amen.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20830 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
then the car itself might go into sleep mode until reset.

I've thought about this a little, having seen that some of the "buy here, pay here, pay us a pile of interest" places have been rumored to install similar kill-switch devices in cars they sell. I'm not a fan of this idea.

On the white-hat side, it makes it easy for a repo agent to know exactly where to find the vehicle when Joey NoPay doesn't make his payment. I totally get that.

On the black side, though, I see it potentially putting people in danger -- or preventing them from getting away from a dangerous place. My mind wanders to the crappy trailer park where Missy Goodgirl just wants to get away from her situation with Joey NoPay. Sneaks out out the house, hops in the car, and finds it won't start, ruining her escape. There are plenty of other "I need out of here but the car won't start" situations to think up. Maybe I watch too much TV.

Going back to Team WhiteHat for a moment, the nerd in me thinks it'd pretty cool if one's car could actively provide them with a warranty notice on the info screen. But the BlackHat in me agrees with HRK: one way or another, the data will be gathered and abused, whether it's sold to insurance companies and marketers or parsed off for even more nefarious schemes.

I read a while back about a couple of cases involving Nissan's GT-R coupes. Evidently, warranty terms are pretty clear: if you track it, your warranty is void. Several people have brought suit, trying to sort out who "owns" the data collected by the car. After all, it's got GPS capability and -- as I constantly harp to the younger people in my circle -- "everything digital is tracked."

Owners want that data for measuring performance and making improvements. Manufacturers want it so they can cut warranty costs or sell it. Insurance companies certainly want it -- it can be a revenue generator. We could follow this rabbit hole into the right-to-repair arguments, but that's another topic.

Back to the kill switch: who -- or what faulty program logic -- gets the say over instigating a shutdown? And what user considerations/consequences can get overlooked in that process?

Not to be argumentative, but I don't believe it would be as easy to disable as Flash-LB says. Vehicle systems are so interconnected these days, I see it being like a "don't cut the blue wire" thing -- the system will detect attempts at defeat, and either alert the vehicle's overlords or "brick up" altogether.

Cookster nailed it: the potential abuses are endless. The nerd in me admires the technology; the realist in me will fight it. Hindsight says I need to find an old diesel truck or an original VW beetle and do some serious "mechanic learning."

And yes, if you want to pass 5000 things, then have 5000 votes. No more of this "buy a rose, get 10,000 thorns" business.

God bless America.

Posts: 13506 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I’d be happy with a government mandated kill switch in the car

If they paid for the car, insurance, gas and maintenance

Until then paws off.

Posts: 53195 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
The corrupt government maggots have their own kill switch. It's ashamed the ignorant mass repeatedly failed to use it.

Q

Posts: 26421 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your post Sig2340. I just sent an email to my representative asking him to explain how this bill got passed.

Cheers.

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1631 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by photohause:
I just sent an email to my representative

Working on mine now.

God bless America.

Posts: 13506 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see that your covid vaccination status is not up to date and current.
Sorry, I cannot take you to your destination until you are in full compliance.
Have a nice day.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3537 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Notes from my hospital bed:
The semi was quite close when my car just quit.............

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6317 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post