SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What do we like for charcoal, for grilling?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do we like for charcoal, for grilling? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I’ve used Kingsford for years and have always been completely satisfied with it in my Weber kettle. I’ve not tried B&B lump but I may give that a shot next time I’m in Ace,

Posts: 448 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
A quick search of your Kingsford charcoal ashes will reveal that it’s made up of 10% to 15% rock/mining fines.

Why is there quarry tailings in the charcoal?

Weight/fake gravities.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
A quick search of your Kingsford charcoal ashes will reveal that it’s made up of 10% to 15% rock/mining fines.

Why is there quarry tailings in the charcoal?

Weight/fake gravities.

Clay is used as a binder by some charcoal makers. I suspect that other dirts or tailings are used similarly.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I use Ozark Oak, which is a Royal Oak sub-brand produced a couple hours away in Yellville, AR.

Prior to their acquisition by Royal Oak in 2015ish, it was the best quality lump charcoal I could find, by far. After the acquisition, quality went down a little, but it's still well above average.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Genorogers:
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Dog:
I like B & B. No rocks in it like royal oak

If you have an Ace Hardware close they will have it or will get it for you. Best I have ever used grilling in my Weber kettle or one of my smokers.

THIS, it's really cheap at Lowes right now.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's $17.99 for 20 Lb bag here. It use to be $14.99 before ass hole took over.

Posts: 1562 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Regarding Kingsford being adulterated with rocks and clay, well it lasts long and adds good flavor. So if I’m paying for rocks that burn better than some other pure wood brand I’m okay with that.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Royal Oak locally.

FOGO by mail. It’s AWESOME and not crazy expensive if you plan lead time for delivery.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
B&B Oak Lump is my go to. Best of all, both HEB (premier Texas grocery chain) and the nearest Ace Hardware stock it.

I've tried many, many lump charcoal brands and woods including B&B hickory lump, but to me B&B oak lump tastes most similar to the famous BBQ joints in Austin and Lockhart.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23100 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I purchased some B&B at Ace. I got the plain lump, and a bag each of Mesquite and Hickory.

I’ll purchase a few more choices soon, and give everything a try and see what I prefer.

Thanks to all y’all for your recommendations.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I've been using the Cowboy lump for a few years now. Kingsford in a pinch.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve been using Cowboy the last few years. B&B will be my next bag, I’ve heard nothing but good things about it. The only brand I’ve had trouble with is Wicked Good. I had to get rid of it. It took a long time to get up to temperature and didn’t stay that way long.

Posts: 904 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For basic briquets, Royal Oak works.

For lump, B&B is solid and won't kill your wallet. Jealous Devil I've found to be solid as well, a bit larger pieces but, good clean burn. Fogo I've found to be spendy but, burns quite hot, I think they use a Brazilian hardwood.

Cowboy I've found roofing materials, to include metal strapping and a glove in the bag

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I only used lump for years and thought Kingsford was garbage. I ran out of lump one day and the local store was all out so I was stuck with Kingsford. I was shocked that I had much more consistent temps with kingsford than with lump. Lump did have higher peak temps, but quickly dropped off.

I've tried other brands - B&B is good if you can find it, but after primarily using Kingsford for the past year the only thing I don't like about it is that there is more ash/waste.

Light it with a chimney till the top pieces start to ash over - dump it in the kettle - let the grate come up to temp and start grilling!

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1745 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I like Kingsford Professional Competition briquettes when I do the charcoal snakes for smoking and a local PA-produced hardwood lump called Humphrey for grilling.

Maybe you can find that in your area, it's very good and not a bag of crumbs, rocks and construction scrap like I've found with other brands:

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a B&B Lump guy also….Great heat and great flavoring.

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
For grilling almost any natural lump is good. For smoking I like Jealous Devil, it burns slow. It also burns hot so if you grill with it be aware your temps will be much higher than any other lump I've found. JD will incinerate a burger pretty quick. Cool

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
B&B from Ace, it burns cleaner, starts quicker, I've only had a few odd pieces of "lump" one was clearly a round piece of wood, other looked like a piece off a 2 x 4. Occasional lump the size of a small meteor, I always name them Dottie...

Cowboy is ok, get it at Costco if you can, dirt cheap and it's dirtier, lots of sparks at start up tons of tiny small bits that can fall through a basket if you use one. Burns hot and fast so you go though more..

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
Wicked Good or Royal Oak.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1881 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post