SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What do we like for charcoal, for grilling?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do we like for charcoal, for grilling? Login/Join 
Dances With
Tornados
posted
I just got a new Weber Kettle grill and I don’t want to ever again use the cheap Kingsford-type briquettes.

I’d like the lump style, real char wood or whatever you call it, I think.

I did a forum search and found a thread in 2018, good advice there, but I figured in 4 years some brands might have changed or disappeared.

Thanks!

Posts: 11839 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
I use Royal Oak natural lump charcoal. It’s readily available at Walmart, and works well for for my simple grilling needs.

Posts: 1626 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I only used the Royal Oak from Home depot (is was the only place that kept lump in stock) but it burned much better than any briquettes I've used.

Does take a little learning as I recall it burns a little hotter so I was able to keep the grates a notch higher, but when covered it was able to smoke the wood chips in a way the briquettes never could.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I found Ridgeline brand at Lowes. Leaves half as much ash as Kingsford does…and it’s cheaper. I use this in my smoker because I can figure out how much to use and don’t have to baby it. Make a charcoal snake, put a few lumps of wood for the smoke in it, light it and walk away.

I’ve used the lump charcoal and it’s good stuff, but I wasn’t sold on it

Kingsford is crap

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Lump coal is all I use. To me, brand really doesn’t matter. I use mesquite lump coal for something like steaks as it burns hotter and oak lump for something like slow smoking ribs as I doesn’t burn as hot and is easier to control the temperature.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
in this area, Royal Oak or Cowboy brand are the only lump I can find

of the 2, both do well, however Cowboy sometimes looks like scrap trim lumber, as in crown molding or base,,

I have found that store brand briquets, when lump is hard to find, cook better than kingsford

store brand as in both Kroger and Food lion,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like B & B. No rocks in it like royal oak

Posts: 1570 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Dog:
I like B & B. No rocks in it like royal oak

If you have an Ace Hardware close they will have it or will get it for you. Best I have ever used grilling in my Weber kettle or one of my smokers.

Posts: 932 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I’ve had a Weber kettle grill long enough that I’m on my second one. I tried lump charcoal because I kept hearing that it’s better than briquettes. I don’t think so. I buy the double bags of Kingsford Professional at Costco and I think it’s good. If you think lump is better, go ahead

Posts: 13253 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I was on the lump bandwagon for a bit. Finally I realized that all brands suck. Inconsistent sizes, tons of dust, lots of sparks , etc. I never saw B&B so haven’t tried it. But I use kingsford regular or champion, whatever has a good price. Works great for both 700 degree vortex wings or as a bed for my offset smoker.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Rockwood lump in the big green egg. I like it a lot.

Posts: 1127 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
I use B&B hickory. Green bag from Ace Hardware

Posts: 2338 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigfan Roy:
I use Rockwood lump in the big green egg. I like it a lot.

Rockwood is really good stuff. I usually end up with Royal Oak as its about all I can find around here. It has gone down in quality the last year or so. Many more rocks and trash than there used to be.

Posts: 1962 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
I’ve had a Weber kettle grill long enough that I’m on my second one. I tried lump charcoal because I kept hearing that it’s better than briquettes. I don’t think so. I buy the double bags of Kingsford Professional at Costco and I think it’s good. If you think lump is better, go ahead

Same here and my 1st Weber kettle was back in the early 90's.
I basically use Kingsford for everything and have not been disappointed but, I have used some lump charcoal as well.
Best I've found in my area is Jealous Devil. It does get screaming hot.
YMMV

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I do not have a Weber. I use Big Green Egg lump exclusively in the BGE. It costs a little more but lights easily. I have tried other brands that are cheaper but keep coming back to the BGE brand. The advantage of a komodo type grill/smoker it that you can kill the fire when done cooking and re-start the remaining charcoal for several cooks from one load and that mitigates the extra cost.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
+1 for Rockwood

Posts: 606 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Never had any problems or complaints using Kingsford Original on my Weber kettle.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ditched Kingsford years back in favor of Royal Oak Natural.

Tried a number of brands of lump charcoal first and wasn't really impressed with any of them.

Posts: 921 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I really can't complain about Kingsford regular, have used it for years. I only cook burgers, hot dogs and the occasional steak on it, though. Everything else is cooked on our gas grill.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I don't use it any more, but I did for over 25 years.

Nothing but pure mesquite charcoal, brand is unimportant.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post