SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What do you make of Peter Zeihan ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you make of Peter Zeihan ? Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
I've been watching Peter Zeihan's stuff, didn't know about him until recently.

Is he really THAT good, or is he more like one half good delivery plus one half substance, or some other combination of things?

He said if Putin invades Poland after he's "finished" with Ukraine, Nato would enter the fray, and Putin would then use nukes if Putin felt an existential threat. He said it in a way that seemed more like a guarantee instead of a possibility. Is he just hyper smart with a little too much enthusiasm, or something else entirely ?

He seems smart as hell to me, but I'm not smart enough to reliably judge true raw intelligence and superior judgement.

What say you ?

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8931 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
if Putin invades Poland after

Not going to happen.

Q

Posts: 27606 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

Not going to happen.

PZ says Putin would without question, and gives reasons that sound, well, sort of reasonable.

So what's your reason that it would never happen ? Because of NATO ?

Posts: 8931 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
PZ says Putin would without question, and gives reasons that sound, well, sort of reasonable.

Well, then PZ is Wrong!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9440 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Yeah, everybody is smart and expert and making money spouting their expertise on YT and speaking circuits. Where have we heard that before.

Q

Posts: 27606 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
I have met him and I have listened to him speak a couple of times. I am not a fan.

Here is a fellow with whom I have had essentially the same interactions, Dr. Alan Beaulieu. He is in a similar field to Zeihan, forecasting global events, but Dr. Beaulieu is a real economist and I think he is much better.

https://itreconomics.com/alan-beaulieu/

Posts: 8911 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

Not going to happen.

Agree. Not going to happen.
This is the purpose of nato.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24638 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I use to watch him and occasionally still do but after a while the saying “ If you can’t dazzle them with brilliance then baffle them with bullshit” came to mind.

He is sooo sure of himself and his view of macroeconomics that it’s hard to believe he is ALWAYS right. He got political a few months ago stating that he was getting off X because Musk was stifling free speech… That’s when I decided that I’ve had enough. A quick search shows he’s back on now….what a scam.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6482 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I know nothing about this guy. not one single thing. But I am not convinced putin would not move further into nato country. probably why he is voting for brandon. putin has learned a ton about his enemies in the last three years and more importantly has strengthened his allies during that time.
I think to underestimate your enemy is a fatal mistake.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19761 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
I use to watch him and occasionally do but after a while the saying “ If you can’t dazzle them with brilliance then baffle them with bullshit” came to mind.

Yep. And he believes that the USA is a superpower by accident, simply because of our geography, not our founding principles. He's a leftist and, to my knowledge, has no formal economics education, unlike Dr. Beaulieu above.

Posts: 8911 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
Invade Poland, not happening. The Poles have a bigger army, tanks and artillery than the Germans. And I would argue better trained and equipped. Not the same German army that I remember when I was a young Nato soldier before the wall came down.

Now invade the Baltic states that might happen.
But they would be opening up a major can of conventional whoop ass. Nato might not be able to retake it with landforces but I think they would conventionally airstrike the Russians like they have not seen. Not to mention real sanctions for a change.

As much trouble as the Russians are having with Ukraine I think it will be awhile before they get frisky again.

Posts: 3789 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't dismiss everything Zeihan talks about, just make sure you keep it in perspective and weigh it against other information you've come across. People who are fans/supporters of him, speak of him like he's an oracle, he's no such thing. He's no doubt knowledgeable in economics of global trade, natural resources and finances however once he starts verging into areas like military activities and tactics, he's lost me. He's visible and willing to engage with new media (podcasts, vlogs, etc..) versus most economists and global speculators who are more comfortable within the confines of academia or, corporate halls.

Posts: 15084 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Peter Zeihan is just a different version of Bill Nye, lots of talking points & energy.......but complete nonsense.

Russia's military is set-up for defense of their territory, they're not an expeditionary force.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1973 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
He said if Putin invades Poland after he's "finished" with Ukraine, Nato would enter the fray, and Putin would then use nukes if Putin felt an existential threat.
This is based on the false premise that Putin would invade a NATO country in the first place, so the rest is invalid. Even without NATO, Poland has a centuries-long history of being divvied up between various powers and is not going back there without a fight.

Posts: 28690 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Well, and not only that, but their most recent occupiers were Russia, and I had one Polish emigrant tell me her mother survived the war and said the Russians were worse to the Poles than the Germans. All of that only ended about thirty years ago and you’re right, that isn’t going to happen again without an incredible fight. The chance of Putin attacking Poland has to be somewhere very near zero.

Posts: 17674 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Putin is struggling with a slog in Ukraine years longer than he expected. Why on Earth would he immediately attack Poland after? That would be insanity.

Posts: 3678 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I first caught Zeihan on Lawrence Person's battleswarmblog.com. He was interesting at first, but he is not the answer to those of us seeking more certainty in these extremely tumultuous--dare I say terrifying--times.

Posts: 18381 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I still recall constantly hearing in my youth about the Domino Theory and why we had to continue in Vietnam and complete the job.
If we didn't, the Ruskies would be emboldened and it would be just like the Germans in the late 30's or Soviets in eastern Europe. All of Southeast Asia would fall and who knows after that.

Posts: 9833 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can’t get a handle on him either. I thought he was another arrogant leftist but he threw Obama into the wood-chipper while doing an analysis of Biden’s goofery, saying he was in the bottom 10 of presidents.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
He's a lib for sure, and doesn't like Trump, and after reading this thread I can look back and see he's pretty formulaic in his analyses, perhaps to a fault, and we see this in lots of popular channels and speakers who get a hold of a successful schtik and run with it for a while. I don't know if he ever debates with equals or superiors, but that might be helpful in judging his true level of credibility.

But I'm just spouting, I don't know about him nor his work or what truly smart people say about him.