SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Florida Man ends Florida Man's murderous attack
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Florida Man ends Florida Man's murderous attack Login/Join 
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
No way would I pull a pistol without taking control. I'd start barking orders such as to force him face down onto the ground, hands behind his head. If he doesn't comply, shoot him center mass until he does anyway. If he seems hopped up enough to ignore that, shoot him as close to the brain stem as I can manage until he is stopped.

As someone else said, waiting around or worse ignoring this is a non starter. Indifference to something like this is a worse path than any single assault charge. We have to take back our societal humanity in this country. And malcontents out there need to know it. Criminals need to fear the public. We got a long path to reestablishing the bluff that police departments had for so long.

We disagree in the fundamental. I am not required or expected to try and defuse the situation and I sure as hell am not going to put myself in danger by trying to fix a domestic violence issue. In the OP, there is reason to believe that the girlfriend may reasonably suffer bodily injury or death. If I decide to draw my gun it will to shoot the boyfriend until he is no longer a threat to her (For you Edmond).

I look at drawing my gun as a binary situation.
Do I need to use my gun?
No; then leave it alone.
Yes;Then pull it out and shoot it.

Of course if you draw and the situation changes before you shoot, you continually update your evaluation of the situation and act accordingly.

I will leave being a cop to those who are trained to do it. Trying to control a situation while holding someone at gunpoint is dangerous even for someone trained to do it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SpinZone,

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3854 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You could always be a great witness, by video taping the beating. Even if the GF will not press charges, the DA can. A brutal beating on tape will look terrible to a jury.

-c1steve

Posts: 4063 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
This appears to be the guys Facebook page since the photo matches his mugshot.

Ignore his apparent inability to spell and give it a quick read and see if it provides any hints to his behavior.

Real classy guy.

https://www.facebook.com/cole.danisment.1

that's a fake profile using the perp's name. most of the posts are of things overseas and the friend's list looks to be Pakistan or SWA somewhere based on names. This is a pretty common tactic

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:

I already stated that in some states you can protect a 3rd person. I know we're one but I also know it's not true in all states. I also know that the instructors in the 2 different CC courses I attended here stated that you'd better be very sure before you intervene on others behalf.

Can you give us an example of a state where a person can not use deadly force to protect a third person from death or great bodily injury?

As for being very sure before you intervene, that is excellent advice. Things are not always as they appear. For example, the person you are wanting to defend may have been the initial aggressor.

NYC, NJ, CA to name a few. Hell in NYC if you defend yourself you go to jail, so how in the hell you won't end up in the pokey for defending someone else if you can't even defend yourself ? Many places in the USA it's illegal, for all practical purposes, though not technically illegal, to defend yourself against unlawful lethal force. When nasty human beings take positions of power, all sorts of ugly stuff becomes normalized and defended, and the good people suffer. Elections have consequences.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8702 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, I avoid any action in a domestic situation. Only way I would have became involved is if I didn't realize it was a couples dispute. There are people who routinely try to kill each other...that's just how they live life...it's almost like a verbal disagreement for a normal couple.

Posts: 1976 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
No way would I pull a pistol without taking control. I'd start barking orders such as to force him face down onto the ground, hands behind his head. If he doesn't comply, shoot him center mass until he does anyway. If he seems hopped up enough to ignore that, shoot him as close to the brain stem as I can manage until he is stopped.

As someone else said, waiting around or worse ignoring this is a non starter. Indifference to something like this is a worse path than any single assault charge. We have to take back our societal humanity in this country. And malcontents out there need to know it. Criminals need to fear the public. We got a long path to reestablishing the bluff that police departments had for so long.

We disagree in the fundamental. I am not required or expected to try and defuse the situation and I sure as hell am not going to put myself in danger by trying to fix a domestic violence issue. In the OP, there is reason to believe that the girlfriend may reasonably suffer bodily injury or death. If I decide to draw my gun it will to shoot the boyfriend until he is no longer a threat to her (For you Edmond).

I look at drawing my gun as a binary situation.
Do I need to use my gun?
No; then leave it alone.
Yes;Then pull it out and shoot it.

Of course if you draw and the situation changes before you shoot, you continually update your evaluation of the situation and act accordingly.

I will leave being a cop to those who are trained to do it. Trying to control a situation while holding someone at gunpoint is dangerous even for someone trained to do it.

Nobody said you had to. Hell I may not have in the actual situation. I believe you gotta be there to really know.

Geez.

Posts: 7269 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
'Captan Stabben', eh?

What a mouth-breathing POS.

The world air supply would be cleaner without him polluting it.

I have no qualms about admitting that I would have awarded him a third earhole right there.

Posts: 11335 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:
Originally posted by Kept Bum:
There is no doubt in my mind that I would have shot to kill.

You don't shoot to kill, you shoot to stop the threat. Death might be the end result of that shooting.

You know damned well what happens when you send several projectiles at 1000+ fps at someones vital organs. Telling yourself you are just "stopping the threat" is dishonest.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
quote:
Telling yourself you are just "stopping the threat" is dishonest.

You're not doing so to be dishonest. Rather, you do so to protect yourself from frivolous laws that will be used against you if you admit to wanting to kill someone!

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
NYC, NJ, CA to name a few. Hell in NYC if you defend yourself you go to jail, so how in the hell you won't end up in the pokey for defending someone else if you can't even defend yourself ? Many places in the USA it's illegal, for all practical purposes, though not technically illegal, to defend yourself against unlawful lethal force. When nasty human beings take positions of power, all sorts of ugly stuff becomes normalized and defended, and the good people suffer. Elections have consequences.

I can’t speak to NYC or NJ, but you are incorrect with respect to CA. A person is justified in using deadly force to defend an innocent other in CA. It is legal, but almost all instructors council again getting involved for anyone you don’t know very well. The problem is that you are unlikely to fully understand the circumstances and may be coming to the aid of someone who is not innocent, which would leave you liable.

Posts: 6925 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Kept Bum:
There is no doubt in my mind that I would have shot to kill.

You don't shoot to kill, you shoot to stop the threat. Death might be the end result of that shooting.

You know damned well what happens when you send several projectiles at 1000+ fps at someones vital organs. Telling yourself you are just "stopping the threat" is dishonest.

Don't be silly. Everyone knows from vijeeo games you can take a hit or two provided it's not in the face and you have a minute to shake it off.

"I just thought I'd plug him a couple times to settle him down, that's all..."

Posts: 5154 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I’ve had friends get shot in combat who survived without permanent injuries. One of them even walked back to the COP while refusing a MEDEVAC.

People can get shot without dying. Even witnessed it too close and personal for my taste: Czech Soldier shot in the femur by a rifle. I even called the 9 line MEDEVAC for him, he lived.

Posts: 13148 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
If he doesn't pose a threat to you and you shoot him, be prepared to be cuffed, stuffed and prosecuted.

Not in Arkansas. Arkansas law allows for the use of deadly force to defend yourself or another from imminent serious bodily injury or death.

This took place in Florida, and Florida's deadly force law is worded almost exactly the same:

quote:
A person is justified in using or threatening to use deadly force if he or she reasonably believes that using or threatening to use such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony.

Similarly, your own home state of Arizona's deadly force laws also include a section specifically allowing the use of deadly force in defense of another person:

quote:
A person is justified in threatening or using physical force or deadly physical force against another to protect a third person if:

1. Under the circumstances as a reasonable person would believe them to be, such person would be justified under section 13-404 or 13-405 in threatening or using physical force or deadly physical force to protect himself against the unlawful physical force or deadly physical force a reasonable person would believe is threatening the third person he seeks to protect; and

2. A reasonable person would believe that such person’s intervention is immediately necessary to protect the third person.

I'd recommend getting with a local concealed carry/self defense instructor to get a refresher on your state's laws.

I suggest you research:
Florida v. Zimmerman
Wisconsin v. Rittenhouse

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31485 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’ve had friends get shot in combat who survived without permanent injuries. One of them even walked back to the COP while refusing a MEDEVAC.

People can get shot without dying. Even witnessed it too close and personal for my taste: Czech Soldier shot in the femur by a rifle. I even called the 9 line MEDEVAC for him, he lived.

Good story and thanks for the service, but you ruined my joke. I also personally know people who have been shot in the head and survived. My Aunt being one.

Anyway

I was trying to highlight the absurity of being in control of whether or not an adversary succumbs to his injuries. In a justifiable shoot it is irrelevant whether or not you shot to kill. If you do it right, the fight ends, and stupid questions deserve stupid answers.

Posts: 5154 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post