SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Disappointing Reverse Sear
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Disappointing Reverse Sear Login/Join 
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted
Since I learned to reverse sear steaks here on Sig Forum my neighborhood reputation as a master steaksmith has grown. My usual method is Costco choice boneless ribeyes approx 2" thick. Season with kosher salt, black pepper and a good dry rub steak seasoning for a couple hours at room temp, same as always.

I have the thermapens and set oven temp @225 degrees. Most like med rare so I bring meat temp to 120+- and then go to a hot charcoal grill for a sear on both sides.

I'm happy with Costco's choice grade rib eyes but the prime looked great and this was a special occasion so I anteed up. All was good until they hit charcoal and the well marbled prime beef did not have the fat pockets that choice has so the grill didn't flame and the sear wasn't as pronounced or flavorful as it is on the flame kissed choice grade - not that they were bad by any means but they were not as flavorful as the cheaper choice cut. $14lb choice $23lb prime.

My guests were happy but I was disappointed that paying more gave less satisfaction. In the prime grades defense there was virtually zero waste, no fat pockets to trim around and the meat was fork tender. I'm sticking with choice grade for reverse searing from now on.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I have so far not given into this whole reverse
sear trend and don’t plan on it.

IMO there’s nothing wrong with cooking a steak the good old fashioned way; hot and fast on a stupid hot grill or a ripping hot cast iron pan.

Posts: 33877 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Curious as to your technique and how you steaks turned out done-ness wise.

We been using the Reverse Sear technique for a few years now and generally get excellent results. Our first was a Center-cut Tenderloin Roast at Christmas, and honestly, it could not have come out better. Now that's what we have at Christmas every year! We target Medium done-ness and consistant w/ SIGforum style, use a Thermapen as well. First we season w/ a salt & pepper and dry-age it uncovered in the fridge for 36 hours. Then we heat in the oven at 275 until the meat is 100/105 degrees at the center, and then finally, sear to finish it in a Cast Iron Pan until 130/135 degrees for Medium. We put the Cast Iron Pan in the oven along w/ the steaks to preheat it a bit, and then heat it on the stove w/ a little olive oil until it smokes while the steaks rest for a few minutes. Though our technique is not perfected for steaks (usually 1.5"ish thick Tenderloin/Filet or Sirloins and we probably need to lower the oven temp a bit), I can't imagine achieving Medium-Rare in a steak w/ it coming out of the oven at 120 degrees.

In case you're not hungry yet... Razz

Interested in any guidance you can provide for reverse searing steaks, and how yours turned out.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8952 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I have so far not given into this whole reverse
sear trend and don’t plan on it.

Nor I.

I challenge anyone to give me a better steak than I can cook at 600F on my BGE in 6 minutes with far less trouble/mess.

I suppose it has its place for restaurants and such, but I see it as a trendy thing that's not for me.

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
130-135 is sweet spot for med rare according to experts and the sear takes about 90 seconds per side on my kettle grill. No complaints about doneness, I guess what I'm complaining about is the lack of flavor from the charred fat.

About a week ago I did a common Kroger chuck roast the same way as I do steaks - turned out very good, a little tough but great flavor. Cooked it a little past med rare to approx 140 but it was pretty tasty and will be in regular rotation.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
a ripping hot cast iron pan.

This please.

Posts: 655 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
BGE is the ultimate from what I understand but I don't have one. Reverse sear isn't much trouble - stick em in the oven for about 30-40 minutes to bring to temp and then throw them on the grill.

Back in pre pc days Louisville used to have several steakhouse where cooks did steaks over roaring flames in the picture windows facing 4th street - key there is to keep turning them. Hard to beat flavor of flame kissed beef and they were selling the sizzle as well as the steak.

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I challenge anyone to give me a better steak than I can cook at 600F on my BGE in 6 minutes with far less trouble/mess.

I suppose it has its place for restaurants and such, but I see it as a trendy thing that's not for me.

How long does it take to get a BGE to 600 degrees?

Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8952 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My KJ will hit 600 in a half hour or so

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1131 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
It jut could be the cut, quality of meat or it could be in the cooking technique.

Reverse Sear is best done with thicker cuts although I prefer with Filets to pan sear then put in oven.

Any other cut I will reverse sear in the BGE.

I have found in the searing part to just use my Su-V Gun Flame Thrower.
I can control the sear much better, it is quicker and not risk over cooking during the sear.
The BGE will get it to temp and infuse the great tasting smoke.
It is more fun too!

I have overcooked/ruined many a steak during the sear.
Plus I don't have to wait for the BGE to get to temp.

Posts: 22943 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kg5388
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pace40:
quote:

This please.

Most use the Alton Brown steps for steak in a cast iron

Alton Brown cast iron steak method

Posts: 1847 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
How long does it take to get a BGE to 600 degrees?

Not as long as you'd think. I start it up, and by the time I've got my sides put together and the steak salt and peppered, it's ready to go. I've not found an easier way to cook a steak. And the best part is not having to clean up splattered grease from pan frying. Shut down the grill and walk away.

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kg5388:
quote:
Originally posted by pace40:
quote:

This please.

Most use the Alton Brown steps for steak in a cast iron

Alton Brown cast iron steak method

I do this, after leaving my steak on the smoker to pick-up a pleasant smoky flavor, allow it to come up to 100F, then toss them into a ripping-hot cast iron pan.
Once at 130F, I pull them off, let them sit on the cutting board for 20-30 minutes, covered in cultured butter.

Posts: 14691 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are going to sear it on a grill you really need a sear plate. It’s a heavy piece of metal that collects and hold a ton of heat.

Once I got one of these I ended up using it for cooking everything also. You automatically get the nice diamond pattern and even chicken gets that nice char on it. Just pay attention at first when using it while grilling because your meat will cook a bit faster since the sear plate retains so much heat.

https://www.amazon.com/SafBbcu...9zZWFyY2hfbXRm&psc=1

Posts: 3931 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
No professional chef uses this method and for a reason. You’re baking your meat and then applying a tiny bit of high heat at the end for some color?

All the pictures I see of sliced reverse sear meat don’t look good to me, there’s no crust, there’s no real sear.

Posts: 33877 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post

Reverse-Sear Steak 2.0 (Solving Consistency Problems)

I may spend too much time on YouTube. Everytime someone mentions a problem on anything, I always search for a solution on YouTube, whether I know anything about it or not.

Posts: 3391 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
No professional chef uses this method and for a reason. You’re baking your meat and then applying a tiny bit of high heat at the end for some color?

All the pictures I see of sliced reverse sear meat don’t look good to me, there’s no crust, there’s no real sear.

The VAST majority of 'professional chefs' work in restaurants...There's NO time for a reverse sear!

How much 'crust' do you expect? How much crust/sear do you get the good old fashioned way; 'hot and fast on a stupid hot grill'?

Live Free or Die!

Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Grill marks are pretty but I like the entire surface with a nice sear. Cast iron or lately I've been using a soapstone on my KJ.

Posts: 3470 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried a reverse sear a few times never did get great results.

I still do a regular sear, super hot cast iron frying pan, 4 minutes on each side.

A few sliced pads of butter to cover the top and then in the oven at 450 until reaches temp usually about 15 to 20 minutes depending on the thickness of the steaks.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I've always been Crazy!
kept me from goin Insane!
posted Hide Post
I started doing reverse sear on my smoker. 180° for about 40min to get to 105°. Then toss it on my Bullseye smoker on Riot mode 1 min a side. Steaks are amazing. Used to do cast iron stove top smoking hot it does a nice job. Then I switched to the oven/grill method. Wife likes all stovetop the best. Kids and I like the slow smoke hot finish best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.
Author unknown

Posts: 2182 | Location: Lyndon,KS | Registered: November 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post