SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SCOTUS Justice Amy Coney Barrett tells Naperville Illinois to explain their assault weapon ban to her
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SCOTUS Justice Amy Coney Barrett tells Naperville Illinois to explain their assault weapon ban to her Login/Join 
Picture of grumpy1
posted
So Supreme Court Justice Amy Coney Barrett is getting involved in the Illinois AWB ban. This is pretty big news that could have far reaching implications. The city of Naperville, Illinois passed an AWB of their own before the Illinois state wide ban. Lawsuits were filed including for an injunction and was turned down twice including the federal 7th Circuit Court of Appeals via a 3 judge panel. So the plaintiffs appealed to SCOTUS a few weeks ago and holy cow Amy Coney Barret responded who oversees such matters for the 7th. The video below by Four Boxes Diner explains what all this means much better than I can.

What is very significant is that currently Illinois has an injunction on their AWB via an order by Stephen P. McGlynn who was appointed by President Trump. The state of Illinois has appealed that injunction to the federal 7th Circuit Court of Appeals just a few days ago. Mark W Williams from the video below says to not necessarily an injunction from SCOTUS but that more likely that they may be just sending a very strong message that they are very interested in the case and paying close attention and by the way keep in mind that Bruen decision we did last summer and the whole Second Amendment scrutiny standard is now text, tradition and history. Naperville, Illinois has until May 8 to respond.

Posts: 9758 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
One way SCOTUS can clean up this 2A fight is to send a message that new laws are going to fail, bans are going to fail, this is the way to help quell their push to get rid of guns by social media and liberal/leftists.

JMO most of then know these will fail if they get to SCOTUS, but they don't care, as long as they shut guns down for a few years.

That's why 2AF is a good place to donate, in fact Sig and 2AF have a fund raiser going on, enter and you have a chance of winning a p320 and a day at Sig Academy

https://secure.anedot.com/saf/sigexperience

Posts: 23609 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

JMO most of then know these will fail if they get to SCOTUS, but they don't care, as long as they shut guns down for a few years.

Because legislators bear no personal liability for passing clearly unconstitutional crappy laws, this is ABSOLUTELY true. They know these are only temporary speed bumps, but they're OK with that as long as they're "doing something" and can gum the works up for a while.

Happily, the

Posts: 2476 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Illinois response:

"It is a scary, black, fully automated, 500 or high caliber, high capacity, assault rifle with a pistol grip and a thing that goes up. It shoots 5,000 high caliber bullets per second at children. It must be banned!!"

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38019 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I find it very encouraging that Amy Coney Barrett is doing this just before the 7th is going to take up the appeal by the state to stay the injunction in place. She sure showed some "sense of urgency" considering she just received the request a couple weeks ago I believe. I have to believe the Justices who voted for the Bruen decision must be very frustrated with the continued blatant ignoring of the law concerning the Second Amendment. Hopefully this is a sign that they plan to expedite relief for these egregious laws.

Posts: 9758 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
The next step is to make lawmakers personally liable for the costs of laws the SCOTUS strikes down. Otherwise they will never stop.

Posts: 3572 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Tried for treason.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12763 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
The next step is to make lawmakers personally liable for the costs of laws the SCOTUS strikes down. Otherwise they will never stop.

Bingo.
Until it starts to come directly out of their pocket instead of the tax payers pocket this will continue, they have nothing to loose.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2579 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Naperville is a very affluent suburb of Chicago. Most of us could not afford to live there. They have ample money to pursue the AWB agenda

Posts: 17294 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:
quote:

Bingo.
Until it starts to come directly out of their pocket instead of the tax payers pocket this will continue, they have nothing to loose.

I've been pounding this drum for years. All politicians should be required to maintain-at their own expense-malpractice insurance.

Posts: 2946 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, it’s a ridiculous fantasy, but I like the idea that any legislator who writes or votes for, and any executive who signs a law that is found to be unconstitutional is immediately removed from office, immediately begins their mandatory five year prison sentence, and is subject to a lifetime ban from ever working for or in the government in any capacity.

Of course we’d never get such a law passed. If it were passed there would be unintended deleterious effects. Still it is a nice dream…

Posts: 6928 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
In 2001, I thought about moving to Naperville. Called a local realtor to see home in my price range. She actually asked me how do you know you can afford this price range, I answered…hmm, the bank that pre approved me…and why are you questioning it? I was not impressed with the attitude. Ended up in Yorkville and then Oswego…but chuckled anytime we met people from Naperville. Remind me of that cartoon sketch of people smelling their own farts because they are so smug. Barrington come close.

Posts: 1354 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I grew up in the Oswego area. There certainly was a significant portion of people from Naperville that had the same attitude as the realtor you describe.

Posts: 990 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
As a Naperville North graduate, I am embarrassed on what that city has become. It was a great place to grow up in the 70’s and 90’s. Glad I got out when I did.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5762 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Hey Judge! Judge! Juuuuuudgeeeee!

Over here, look, look! WA state, hey, look at us!

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10965 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post