SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What goes into your deviled egg recipe?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What goes into your deviled egg recipe? Login/Join 
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted
Lots of good ideas came out of the what goes into your tuna salad sandwich recipe I thought I throw this one out. My wife is always in charge of making the deviled eggs so this is her recipe.

Hard boiled eggs of course. For the yolk mixture she mixes it with Top The Tater. Some of you may not be familiar with this product and it's your loss just like I can't get Dukes mayo around here this stuff has a limited distribution area. But it's basically a sour cream with chive and onions. Then she adds deviled ham and a little worsy. Mixes it to proper consistency and refills the egg whites. Then she dust on paprika and tops off with bacon bits. The deviled ham is what puts them over the top I think. She puts them out once all the guests are here and 24 egg halves are usually gone in less than 24 minutes. Big Grin

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigeinkcmo:
Some chipotles in adobe sauce mixed in is a real nice kick if you like spicier. I also like topping them with a green olive slice. Some crispy bacon bits sounds good to me too, I may try that next!

Wife uses a hot spanish paprika to give it that little spice kick. Seems to be the perfect amount of heat so as not to over power the other flavors.

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
ALWAYS made it traditionally.

Hard boiled large eggs. Mayonnaise. Colman's mustard powder. Sweet relish. Salt, pepper, dusting of smoked paprika. That's it.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16704 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
Steamed eggs

Duke's mayo
Mustard
Sugar
Salt
Paprika
Bread and butter pickle juice

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use only non gmo eggs from evil chickens, after putting them through hell.

They don't need anything else.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post
My wife uses a little “Dukes” Mayo and horseradish sauce. Topped with paprika and chives.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
ALWAYS made it traditionally.

Hard boiled large eggs. Mayonnaise. Colman's mustard powder. Sweet relish. Salt, pepper, dusting of smoked paprika. That's it.

That's the deal. We only add a tiny bit of cayenne and go very light with the relish. If you overdo, all you taste is relish. I could eat a plate full. But don't put your head under the sheets.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm on a Heart Healhy diet so mayo for deviled eggs is a no go. Was looking in my freezer one day to finalize what to do about dinner and spotted my stash of home made guacamole and a bell went off. Used the guac as a substitute for the mayo. It was a rather brilliant move. Deviled eggs should have some heat to them and I happen to like my guac with a fair bit of heat.

Yeah, the yolks do come out green. While I don't keep ham in the house I would bet these deviled eggs would pair up nicely with some ham.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
But don't put your head under the sheets.

Truth. Big Grin

Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
That's the deal. We only add a tiny bit of cayenne and go very light with the relish. If you overdo, all you taste is relish.

Yeah. Too much relish ruins the batch. Same with too much mayo, I use just enough to get the taste and retain the bright yellow color. Do not want the texture of soft serve ice cream.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16704 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Mayo, mustard, Worchester sauce, horse radish, vinegar, paprika.

Posts: 13681 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I asked my wife about the relish seeing as how it's come up several times here. She said it contains too much liquid so it makes it harder to control consistency plus the flavor would clash with the flavor profile she goes for. She wants the deviled ham to be almost on par with the egg flavor and it does come out that way. I don't tell her how to make deviled eggs and she don't tell me how to smoke brisket! Cool

I like the horseradish idea mentioned here though.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:

Wife uses a hot spanish paprika to give it that little spice kick. Seems to be the perfect amount of heat so as not to over power the other flavors.

Sounds like a good alternative. I don't use much of the chipotle in adobo for the reason you describe. I love eggs but only have deviled eggs every few years it seems.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
A dab of this and a shake of that.

I love eating deviled egg sandwishes the days after Christmas and Easter.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
When my mother made them sometimes she placed a sliced olive With the red spot of pimento in the center of the olive. Made it look too much like a persons eyeball. ......................drill sgt.

Posts: 2010 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:

I like the horseradish idea mentioned here though.

We put a little horseradish in our deviled eggs. I can't imagine them without it.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
eggs,
mustard
mayo (Dukes)
salt/pepper,

whip it together, and dust with paprika,

no pickles, (nasty Smile )

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10423 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
eggs,
mustard
mayo (Dukes)
salt/pepper,

This. Add mayo or mustard until it tastes right. Salt and pepper to taste. Dust with paprika. No need for the other crap.

Posts: 8273 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pulled pork Wink

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
eggs,
mustard
mayo (Dukes)
salt/pepper,

This. Add mayo or mustard until it tastes right. Salt and pepper to taste. Dust with paprika. No need for the other crap.

Same here.

Posts: 1956 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post