SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    American Wagyu Beef
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

American Wagyu Beef Login/Join 
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted
Got some of this from my local Fry's Supermarket a few weeks ago and liked it so much I went back and got 4 more New York Strips yesterday.

Pretty good for American Wagyu.

https://www.snakeriverfarms.co...cEAAYASAAEgJurPD_BwE

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Bought it once at the grocery store and it was better than anything I have got at the store.
I still would like to try the real stuff that is uber expensive ~ the same stuff Guga shows on his channel.
It is all about the marbling score and American Wagyu is good, very good but not as great as the real stuff.

Posts: 22941 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
My local grocery store (HEB) is carrying more and more of it. They first started with just tenderloins and now they have several different cuts. I have never tried it but may give it a try.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I actually saw some at a local Wal Mart a few years back. Posted about it here at the time. Never went back to buy any (don’t usually shop at Wal Mart) but may one of these days.

Posts: 2159 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Looks good. I think I've seen that before somewhere and was curious.

I think wagyu is more than just the breed but the way the cow is fed, what it is fed, and how it is cared for during life. The wagyu I've had in Japan is like white beef there is so much marbling.

So, I'm curious what American or New Zealand wagyu is versus Japanese wagyu. (wa being a reference to Japanese style, gyu meaning beef).

Is it a Japanese breed raised in the US? Using Japanese or American feed and care? Or breed typical in the US using Japanese style feed and care? Or what?

The marbling on the american (or new zealand, which is what's available for me) is good, much better than prime grade but still not close to what can be had in Japan. Also, the new zealand I believe is grass fed. I don't believe grass is part of the feed for wagyu in Japan - I think it ends up being too lean.

Wagyu around here goes for about $40/lb for a good cut (ribeye or NY). I've seen it go for north of $150/lb in Japan.

A decent (not best) teppanyaki place in Ginza will cost $100 to $300 per person for a 200gm serving depending on the grade.

BTW, how are you guys cooking it? I've been doing it teppanyaki stye - Sear the outsides. Then slice into thick but bit sized chunks and sear the newly exposed sides as well. Then finish to desired preference (medium) and serve.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12754 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Costco carries some of the real stuff (Jap A5) too through their site ~ not in the stores.
I never could pull the plug on it but want to and will some day.
The next best thing for me is to buy a Prime Roast and Dry Age it.
In fact having some of my Prime 40 day Dry Aged NY Strip tonight. Smile

Posts: 22941 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up a couple ribeyes about a month ago... absolute meat butter. For steak by far the best I have ever had, with the growing popularity I can see the USDA altering its grading scale, definitely Prime+. I'm excluding true Japanese A5 because that's decadence in a whole different way and level

CBS this Morning had a segment on SRF Waygu production yesterday 7/31

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6236 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
We had some former neighbors send us a package from SRF as a thank you for being good neighbors. Two big bone in cowboy steaks and some filets. Those were the best steaks I’v ever eaten! We cooked both the cowboy steaks at the sister in laws. I told my wife we only needed one. Those two steaks fed 4 of us twice plus a little we gave our neighbor to try.
There is a local specialty market that handles SRF also. That is where I go to get Buckhead Beef filets which are also damn fine!

Posts: 1227 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Looks good. I think I've seen that before somewhere and was curious.

I think wagyu is more than just the breed but the way the cow is fed, what it is fed, and how it is cared for during life. The wagyu I've had in Japan is like white beef there is so much marbling.

So, I'm curious what American or New Zealand wagyu is versus Japanese wagyu. (wa being a reference to Japanese style, gyu meaning beef).

Is it a Japanese breed raised in the US? Using Japanese or American feed and care? Or breed typical in the US using Japanese style feed and care? Or what?

The marbling on the american (or new zealand, which is what's available for me) is good, much better than prime grade but still not close to what can be had in Japan. Also, the new zealand I believe is grass fed. I don't believe grass is part of the feed for wagyu in Japan - I think it ends up being too lean.

Wagyu around here goes for about $40/lb for a good cut (ribeye or NY). I've seen it go for north of $150/lb in Japan.

A decent (not best) teppanyaki place in Ginza will cost $100 to $300 per person for a 200gm serving depending on the grade.

BTW, how are you guys cooking it? I've been doing it teppanyaki stye - Sear the outsides. Then slice into thick but bit sized chunks and sear the newly exposed sides as well. Then finish to desired preference (medium) and serve.

There are national breeding programs now. Each of the ranches are in contact with one another establishing breeding protocols and genetic registry

https://wagyu.org

SRF brought some of the first Bulls to the US a number of decades ago before Japan stopped their live export. Initially they were bred with Angus, but through generations most of the Angus has been bred out. more and more have been imported to the US again starting in the 90's

its more Prime+, ++ similar to a traditional American steak in marbling with much more tender meat structure. nothing close to A5 11. I would say closer to A4 6 or 7

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6236 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I splurged earlier this year and bought a small cut of A5 Japanese Wagyu.
Carbon steel pan on high heat with just a small amount of Kosher salt on it. Seared it good and it came out perfectly medium rare/rare as they said to cook it.

https://wagyushop.com/collections/featured-products

Here's where I purchased mine. Excellent service and excellent meat.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Costco carries some of the real stuff (Jap A5) too through their site ~ not in the stores.

Mine has it in the freezer section near the Cornish hens and lamb. It's $99.99 per lb.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20839 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Japanese Wagyu is produced under contract in the United States (AFAIK). I’ve never bought it, but have been gifted with it a couple times, from Snake River. I would never buy it myself, frankly, I’m underwhelmed.

Posts: 13301 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Actual A5 from Kobe is excellent, once in a while.

I skip the rest, especially (laughs) the Burgers made of Wagyu. A stupid, pointless, trend to me.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
I have had the Snake River Farms and Japanese A5, both in very high end steakhouses.

The SRF is good, but more like a really high quality piece of steak that you are used to.

A5 is a totally different animal. So different that I am not quite sure I fully enjoy it, because I hesitate to call it steak. The texture is sooooo different that it really deserves its own classification.

Posts: 2313 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:

I skip the rest, especially (laughs) the Burgers made of Wagyu. A stupid, pointless, trend to me.

There are many other areas that produce fantastic wagyu outside of Kobe. I'm not sure why wagyu is associated w/ Kobe actually. Maybe historical associations as an international port?

Agree - I think wagyu makes sense for marbled steaks like ribeye, NY. I'm not sure what the benefit is for filet mignon / tenderloin.

And I'm sure I get it for other cuts, including those used for hamburger. In fact, if anything, it seems like the burger would be too greasy to hold together and would need more binder.

I wouldn't look for wagyu in other cuts outside of a nice steak. Or perhaps as unmarinated korean kalbi / bulgogi.

I wonder how sous vide works w/ real wagyu. I don't think I've ever seen wagyu in shabu shabu / sukiyaki restaurants. Is it only great when grilled? Is the level of marbling contraindicated for boiling?

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12754 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:

There are many other areas that produce fantastic wagyu outside of Kobe. I'm not sure why wagyu is associated w/ Kobe actually. Maybe historical associations as an international port?

Agree - I think wagyu makes sense for marbled steaks like ribeye, NY. I'm not sure what the benefit is for filet mignon / tenderloin.

And I'm sure I get it for other cuts, including those used for hamburger. In fact, if anything, it seems like the burger would be too greasy to hold together and would need more binder.

I wouldn't look for wagyu in other cuts outside of a nice steak. Or perhaps as unmarinated korean kalbi / bulgogi.

I wonder how sous vide works w/ real wagyu. I don't think I've ever seen wagyu in shabu shabu / sukiyaki restaurants. Is it only great when grilled? Is the level of marbling contraindicated for boiling?

Wagyu burgers are good. They hold together well. You have to do something with the rest of the cow, you can't throw away most of the cow. The burgers are very similar to regular ground chuck, just a little juicer. I get if for a dollar or two more a pound at Costco. It doesn't list the fat content. I assume they do 85/15 or 90/10 since the meat would probably too fatty if they did 80/20.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20839 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I'd buy wagyu if it was incremental cost to what I would usually buy for a burger. But I'm guessing this is also US wagyu which may be different than real Japanese wagyu.

I can't see wagyu so marbled that it looks like white meat sticking together well. Smile

But US wagyu for a couple bucks more per pound that usual, sure I'll try that. 80/20 sounds good actually; I tend toward that side for burgers than the lean 90/10 or higher type of stuff - that's too dry for me even w/ additives like onions, breadcrumbs and such.

I'm not paying $40+/pound to make burgers though. Smile

I'm not sure I've ever seen / tried a wagyu burger in Japan.... But then again, wagyu in japan is just beef. Smile

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

They have it in store at my Costco. I checked the pricing when I opened the door. Packages were like $169. No thanks. I walked over to the fish and got a whole bunch of fish for half that amount.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12653 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
These are luxury items for me. So, I'll buy one US wagyu ($40/pound; 1/2 pound NY) about a month or two (one steak out of 20-40).

I've never bought real wagyu from Japan here before. But I may try it from Costco ($150/pound?) once for a special occasion (anniversary or birthday). It'll be a 'rare' purchase (pun).

Costco prime is generally good enough and already stretching the budget. I get Piedmontese beef which is pretty good too. Not well marbled like wagyu but pretty tasty and tender.

posted Hide Post
There is a place locally that sells Snake River Farms skirt steak, it IS incredible and cheap $10-12 a lb.I'm guessing because they can't/don't sell that cut on their website.

I find that Costco prime is excellent and plenty good enough for me as far as ribeye's and filet mignon's go.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post