SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My dog has Idiopathic Vestibular Disease.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My dog has Idiopathic Vestibular Disease. Login/Join 
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted
I'd never heard of this condition and thought she (a 14.5YO Standard Poodle) was having a stroke. I rushed her to the vet. This was two days ago and she's doing much better now; eating and drinking well; going up and down stairs on her own. She's still a little woozy and unsteady but OK.

You can read about this condition here.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15484 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I guess they can get sea sick as well.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
My chow/lab had this as well. He got it at around 11 and lived well enough until he was 16. I had to put up some protective barriers around the window wells and do some other dog proofing but he did well with it.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
My Springer had it as well, it went away for a long time but it eventually came back.

Archerman

Posts: 2486 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
Had a Pit Bull / Chow mix with this. It came on and then went away after several weeks. Then several months later it came back for good, and remained for the last 18 months or so of his life. He got to where he couldn't navigate stairs, bumped into walls, had a constant head tilt, and periodically would fall down walking. It came to a point where he couldn't really make it to the food and water bowls without our help. So at that time, probably later than we should have waited, we helped him pass across the rainbow bridge to rest peacefully. Very sad and slow progressing disease.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
I wish you and Merlot all the best, Jim. I know how much she means to you.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:
I wish you and Merlot all the best, Jim. I know how much she means to you.

What justjoe said. I'm looking forward to meeting her when we hook up for lunch.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7656 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I love my dogs. I take them to a groomer at least twice a year and in between, I cut their hair myself.

But I hope I am never faced with the choice of paying a huge medical bill or not saving their life.

When I first got them as puppies, I got a free 30 day medical insurance for them. Close to when the 30 days were up, I get a call for me to sign up. I think the price was high like $30 a month for each of them with a high deductible. I said no, I don't want to spend that much money. She asked, "What if they end up needing $2,500 worth of vet work, do you have the money for that? What are you going to do then?"

I said, "In that case, I'll say bye bye, dogs." She hung up.

But over the 3 years I've had them, it's going to be a tough call.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19664 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
We had a 11 year old Chow mix several years ago that appeared to have a stroke when she got up one morning.
She seemed partially paralyzed on one side, could hardly walk at first. After a few hours she was about 70% better and seemed to fully recover within a few days.
She then went on to live a healthy life for another 5-6 years.

Posts: 9514 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that, Jim.

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Hey, I think I've got that problem! If it gets better by itself, I'll just spend more time in my recliner and I'll call it good.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Dick, try some chopped Spam and rice. Merlot's very fond of it. Wink

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15484 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this Jim.

Posts: 12921 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I would get her some CoEnzyme Q10 which is good for the heart, liver, and kidneys. The heart is powered by CoEnzyme Q10 so you have good blood flow to the brain.

http://shop.mercola.com/category/543/1/ubiquinol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R2xIIzcrNs

Dr. Sinatra gives his dogs CoEnzyme Q10 to extend their life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gt31gX7frY

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
Jim, I feel awful about this.I think I know how important Merlot is to you, and i wish for a speedy recovery, and continued, extra-long life.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
I'd never heard of this condition and thought she (a 14.5YO Standard Poodle) was having a stroke. I rushed her to the vet. This was two days ago and she's doing much better now; eating and drinking well; going up and down stairs on her own. She's still a little woozy and unsteady but OK.

You can read about this condition here.

Amazing that she has lived as long as she has, the longest any of my standards have lived is 13. I hope she does okay.

Posts: 3852 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
^ ^ ^ She's small for a standard (~45lbs) and her mom lived to be 17YO. Other than the IVD and a little hip wear, she's in good health. I know her clock is ticking: So is mine and so are all of our clocks. I pray she dies in her sleep; it would be a very difficult and traumatic thing to have to put her down. If the grim reaper comes for me first, arrangements have been made for her to be well taken care of.

Thanks, John. I know you recently lost your GSD. She's almost completely recovered now. I even took her on a short walk this evening.

When I wake up every morning I merrily spring out of bed because:
1 - I'm still here
2 - Merlot's still here
3 - Felonia von Pantsuit is not president

There's plenty of other reasons to be thankful but those are the biggies.

Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
She's almost completely recovered now.

Smile Smile Smile

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Glad Merlot is doing better. Smile Smile Smile

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of katndog
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry

Posts: 2629 | Location: CT | Registered: October 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post