SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Car Warmup/Cooldown Question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Car Warmup/Cooldown Question Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
This young guy who lives across the street from us drives what appears to be a some of turbo Volkswagen hatchback. EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. He gets into it and revs it and just sits with it for like 5 minutes straight which would be annoying enough but it’s got this stupid fart can exhaust too. Then he drives off.

And when he gets home, he doesn’t just park the car on the street and get out and go into his house. No, he sits there and idles and revs the car for another 5 minutes.

Is there some sort of reason for this? I didn’t think modern turbochargers required this kind of babying? Or is he just an asshole who wants to let everyone know he’s coming and going?

It’s just annoying to hear him vroom vroom vroom every dammed day.

Posts: 33871 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
He's an idiot.

Next question.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30431 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hint. It is not about the car.Observe more closely.

Posts: 17280 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
We seem to have the same neighbor.

Posts: 7424 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I could see if it were an older turbo car, or aftermarket turbocharged. I recall turbo timers being a big thing on imports when I was in college.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15373 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
A turbo can benefit from a few minutes of oil circulation before shutoff if driven hard before coming to park. If the turbo is still spinning at several tens of thousands of RPM when the oil supply is cut, it can cook the bearings in short order.

On start up, modern cars (i.e., not carbureted) don't benefit from a warm up period. They do benefit from being gently driven until engine temp comes up to operating temp.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
He's an idiot.

This. I’m sure he going to claim that he’s bringing the turbo bearings up to temperature slowly after startup, and then letting the bearings cool down at the other end, but unless he’s running full boost every second from the time he pulls out of the driveway until he pulls back in, he’s not going to damage the bearings. I’ve had various turbo cars since my 88 RX-7 turbo, and haven’t ever done this.

Posts: 3341 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
If he’s revving the motor before shutting it down, he’s not doing his turbos any favors. As others have said, turbos like to be run at idle for a bit in order to cool down but it’s not really important on newer turbo cars.

As for idling before driving, perhaps he’s cold and waiting for the heater to work?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18027 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
People used to install turbo timers on their 90s / 2000s turbocharged cars .. a device that would continue to run the engine for a predetermined amount of time after you “turned it off” to prevent premature wear on the turbo(s).

They’re not really a thing anymore, though.

Posts: 5075 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Know a guy that back in the day had a Buick Grand national turbo and he did something simular with the warm-u and cool down times but do not remember the reving (vroom vroom)...... Check carefully the local laws concerning vehicle exhaust sound emmisions ... Some of the laws are written so that any modifications to OEM systems that changes the factory sound is illegal.... Problems come into play when trying to get the police /the city / and the courts to actually enforce these laws...and if they are written correctly they do not need a decible meter for sound level checks................................. drill sgt.

Posts: 2023 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two different issues. Turbo engines of any type benefit from warmup and cool down. But revving the engine in those two periods is seriously negative. None of those facts probably matter to your situation.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11015 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Micropenis compensation routine

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23314 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
The fart can exhaust tells you everything you needed to know why he does that.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11303 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Maybe he has OCD/routine type issues and it has little to do with the engine itself.

Posts: 21122 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Sounds like he has what we used to call a 'wooten motor'.

Posts: 7269 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
He's probably a member of the ShitBox Nation and that is his mating call. Unfortunately he can't get a date while living in Mom's Basement while driving the above mentioned type of car.

Yep, the Shit Box Nation is a real thing. They're also on the book of faces, instagram and other social media sites.

Even Frank of Fridays With Frank encountered a Shit Box Nation guy.

Posts: 11863 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
He's an idiot.

Next question.

That sums it up. He's going to have a blown turbo or engine before long. At least then you'll get some quiet.

Posts: 28005 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
OP, you had me buying whatever you are selling at “stupid fart can.”

Dude, your neighbor is just one of those guys. Sorry. I don’t think any level of subterfuge or mansplaining is going to fix it.

My best advice is a bag of sugar if you know what I mean … wink wink.

0:01

Posts: 4215 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
He's an idiot.

Next question.

This. I’ve had many turbos, and this deal is absolute bullshit.

What’s happening is that everyone is stupid now, aka Idiocracy. It’s everywhere too. Think about it like this: You were young, and learned by reading books, magazines, and DIY. These 2 generations have grown up with their head buried in a 6 inch piece of glass sliding their fingers. So that real world knowledge, reading and learning, are all gone. This is why you see this asshat behavior. I mean tonight at the gym, people all over, camp on gear for 30 minutes playing with their phones. Not even 10% are in there breaking a sweat. We have a society full of moronic ass holes now.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12655 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:
He's an idiot.

Next question.

This. I’ve had many turbos, and this deal is absolute bullshit.

What’s happening is that everyone is stupid now, aka Idiocracy. It’s everywhere too. Think about it like this: You were young, and learned by reading books, magazines, and DIY. These 2 generations have grown up with their head buried in a 6 inch piece of glass sliding their fingers. So that real world knowledge, reading and learning, are all gone. This is why you see this asshat behavior. I mean tonight at the gym, people all over, camp on gear for 30 minutes playing with their phones. Not even 10% are in there breaking a sweat. We have a society full of moronic ass holes now.
I bet you are 100% correct. People, and especially youngins cannot wipe their bottom without face in the phone. Watch him PAsig, he's busy with the most important elament in his life, the phone. It makes me want to scream when I see the amount of time wasted due to the cell. Just last evening, a grey Jeep on the fuel island. Puts down the phone, inserts fill nozzle and 35 minutes later, puts the phone back down, removes the nozzle and sets there even longer in the phone. Time and engine idle time aren't even a little bit important. I never seen so much time wasted due to a cell phone. Brain dead.

Posts: 17921 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post