SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Reusable ice question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reusable ice question Login/Join 
Saluki
posted
The hive mind here knows just about everything, and I don’t even know how to ask the googles this. So…

Will a 1lb block of say copper achieve the same result as a 1lb ice block? I feel like it should, but also know there is some sort of thermodynamics involved in freezing and thawing. This would be thrown in my lunch bucket.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5168 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
This takes me back to Physical Chemistry class (uugh). I always liked organic chemistry more. Hopefully I won't screw this up:

Since water/ice have a larger specific heat than copper, they will stay cooler longer because the heat transfer is much slower. The heat capacity of water is also much higher than copper, i.e. - it takes much more energy to increase the same mass of water 1 degree C as compared to copper.

Also, as ice melts, it absorbs a lot of heat without its temperature increasing; this is called a latent heat property. Since the copper will not undergo a phase change, it doesn't have this benefit.

Here's a video:

In other words, science and shit.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17306 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Now add salt. It lowers the temperature that water will phase change from solid to liquid which keeps your stuff colder than 32 degrees.

Melting ice is an endothermic reaction. It requires more heat to raise the temperature of solid water from 31 degrees to 33 degrees than it does to raise solid water from 30 degrees to 32 degrees or liquid water from 32 degrees to 34 degrees. Copper does the same thing, but the temperature it happens at isn’t good for keeping things cold.

Posts: 11025 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
I always liked organic chemistry more.

I've always known there was something not right about you. Wink Big Grin

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Now add salt. It lowers the temperature that water will phase change from solid to liquid which keeps your stuff colder than 32 degrees.

And that, my friends, is called a "colligative property".

God, I'm a nerd. Smile

quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I've always known there was something not right about you. Wink Big Grin

Among other things, right? Razz

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17306 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Holy hell... You liked organic?

I have a minor in chemistry to go along with my double major and organic nearly derailed me.

Something is definitely off with you, good sir.

The "Boz"

Posts: 1533 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Ooh, let's talk about steric hindrances next, can we please, can we? Big Grin

And I much prefer the term, "geek". Big Grin Big Grin

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16397 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
What about those plastic things you pop in the freezer?

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38726 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Besides have a much higher heat capacity, ice also has the latent heat of fusion - the energy it takes to transform from solid to liquid.

1 lb of ice will cool much more than 1 lb of copper.

Posts: 270 | Registered: September 12, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
What about those marble (I think) ice cubes you use in your scotch when you don’t want to water it down but want a cooler drink?

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6335 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
What about those marble (I think) ice cubes you use in your scotch when you don’t want to water it down but want a cooler drink?

you put cold things in your Scotch?

says as he sips a wee dram or 2 of Laughfrog (spelz wrong) from the glass he just finished a stout in,,,,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10436 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:
The hive mind here knows just about everything, and I don’t even know how to ask the googles this. So…

Will a 1lb block of say copper achieve the same result as a 1lb ice block? I feel like it should, but also know there is some sort of thermodynamics involved in freezing and thawing. This would be thrown in my lunch bucket.

freeze a bottle or 2 of water, place in lunch bucket with food,
when and if it thaws before lunch, drink it, and use a fresh on the next day

remember, food is good up to 4 hrs after it gets above 40 degrees,

if your lunch pail has a good insulation , then you will be good, unless it is in direct sunlight on a hot summer day

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10436 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Thanks one and all. I’ve used the freeze packs forever, but they are not issue free, was hoping for an inert solution.

Organic chemistry was nearly the death of my social life, studied like I never had before or since. I figured there must be a good reason ice still prevails.

Posts: 5168 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:

freeze a bottle or 2 of water, place in lunch bucket with food,
when and if it thaws before lunch, drink it, and use a fresh on the next day

remember, food is good up to 4 hrs after it gets above 40 degrees,

if your lunch pail has a good insulation , then you will be good, unless it is in direct sunlight on a hot summer day
There is the problem, the job now finds me trying to keep lunch cold for over 24 hours. Trying to keep the lunch cooler a manageable size.

Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Phase change material is the answer, just like transparent aluminum.

PCM changed the reusable ice game. Works in conjunction with ice.

Posts: 4088 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Dry ice? Might be $$$…

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is the problem, the job now finds me trying to keep lunch cold for over 24 hours. Trying to keep the lunch cooler a manageable size.

More ice and a better cooler. Pre-chilling the cooler will help. Put frozen water bottles or ice packs in several hours before you use it, take those out, put them back in the freezer when you are ready to use the cooler and use fresh ice packs or ice.

A number of companies make coolers in the 7-8 quart range. Engel as an example: 7.5qt drybox/cooler.

Or maybe something like this: Stanley 3qt Vacuum Crock.

The other option is: eat something else. Something that doesn’t require 24 hours of refrigeration. Apples, oranges, bananas, almonds or other nuts, canned tuna and crackers, etc. Eat your cold stuff in the first 10 hours, then eat the rest.

Posts: 11025 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
I still have nightmares about organic chemistry.

Posts: 5699 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post