SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone here own an Aprilia Shiver? It seems like a neat little V-twin moto
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone here own an Aprilia Shiver? It seems like a neat little V-twin moto Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
There is a 2008 Aprilia Shiver 750 for sale in my town for a pretty tempting price. Anyone here ever own one of these bikes?

I am a rather big fan of 90° twin naked bikes and own a Suzuki SV1000 & SV650. I wonder how the Ape stacks up against my current 90° twins?

It looks like this.

Not a bad looking bike IMO though I do think the gold frame version looks better than the red/silver frame paint job.

I’ve gotten into racing electric mountain bikes BIG TIME with my son and spent a small fortune on bikes & gear. This might be a fun way to get excited about riding motos again. It’ll definitely have a lower cost of entry compared to the Aprilia RSV4 I’ve also been drooling over for a few years now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21213 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tenacious
Tempestuous
with Integrity
posted Hide Post
Kinda reminds me of the Yamaha Fazer that I had back in the late 1980s! I have always liked the naked sportbike look, especially in the 700 - 800 cc range.

Posts: 833 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a blast.
Do it!
Would be curious how it sits as a 'middle-ground' between the SVs

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15949 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Always wanted a 916 Desmo Duck. Probably cripple me but I’d still like to have one.

Posts: 134 | Registered: December 11, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Italian bikes are like Italian girls: Hot but high Maintenace.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16364 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 24165 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The Aprilia Dorsoduro looks to be a fairly similar machine from Aprilia but with more of a Supermoto aesthetic. It’s interesting too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21213 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Looks like a good performing, mid-size, naked, V-2 motorcycle. But I've never ridden one or know anyone who has so I can't offer any advice. I do own two Moto Guzzi's which are from the same parent company that owns Aprilia, I really enjoy them both and have had no problems with either.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7253 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an '09 Shiver, the orange version like the top pic. I bought it because it looked more comfy than my '14 Ducati Monster 796 and I was not wrong.

My take after 3 years...the Sport Touring Rain adjustable programing is awesome. Its a quick little beast in sport mode, smooth and comfy in tour, and an anemic turd in rain.

Great ergonomics, very comfy commuter, I drive 22 miles each way on mostly country 2 lanes. A lot of fun on twisty, hilly roads. This bike is geared right, I use all 6, and it LOVES to turn! It has a slightly sporty riding position, not upright but not leaned way over. I'm a 57 year old career auto mechanic and I can ride it all day and not hurt.

Aprilia is nicknamed the Italian Honda. Very reliable and easy to maintain yourself if your so inclined. Oh yeah...I get close to 50MPG!

Down sides....not a lot of aftermarket accessories, but in all honesty I havent found I need them. Grips...thats it. Exhaust sounds good and isnt loud so I have left it be. All in all a great all around bike IMO. I still have the Monster. Thats my customise it how I want and ride it hard for an hour or two bike. The Shiver has been getting way more road time than my Harley even! Get it and dont look back!!

Still waters run deep, so careful I don't drown you.

Posts: 148 | Location: Grantville, Ga | Registered: June 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 66tas:
I have an '09 Shiver, the orange version like the top pic. I bought it because it looked more comfy than my '14 Ducati Monster 796 and I was not wrong.

My take after 3 years...the Sport Touring Rain adjustable programing is awesome. Its a quick little beast in sport mode, smooth and comfy in tour, and an anemic turd in rain.

Great ergonomics, very comfy commuter, I drive 22 miles each way on mostly country 2 lanes. A lot of fun on twisty, hilly roads. This bike is geared right, I use all 6, and it LOVES to turn! It has a slightly sporty riding position, not upright but not leaned way over. I'm a 57 year old career auto mechanic and I can ride it all day and not hurt.

Aprilia is nicknamed the Italian Honda. Very reliable and easy to maintain yourself if your so inclined. Oh yeah...I get close to 50MPG!

Down sides....not a lot of aftermarket accessories, but in all honesty I havent found I need them. Grips...thats it. Exhaust sounds good and isnt loud so I have left it be. All in all a great all around bike IMO. I still have the Monster. Thats my customise it how I want and ride it hard for an hour or two bike. The Shiver has been getting way more road time than my Harley even! Get it and dont look back!!

Thank you!!! I was hoping someone here had experience on one. You have DEFINITELY encouraged me to pull the trigger on it if it is still available when I return to my home town in a few days. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
quote:
Originally posted by 66tas:

Thank you!!! I was hoping someone here had experience on one. You have DEFINITELY encouraged me to pull the trigger on it if it is still available when I return to my home town in a few days. Smile

Good luck! If you dont love it there is something wrong. Its one of my favorites of the dozens of bikes I have owned in my life!

Still waters run deep, so careful I don't drown you.

Posts: 148 | Location: Grantville, Ga | Registered: June 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Aprilia is nicknamed the Italian Honda. Very reliable and easy to maintain yourself if your so inclined.

I've been a member of www.apriliaforum.com since 2017 and while they are great bikes I've never heard anyone compare Aprilia reliability with Honda or call them the Italian Honda. The Shiver has been out of production for several years now so parts availability might be a concern if you decide to make the purchase.

Posts: 1695 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post