SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Apparently I Suck At Customer Service
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apparently I Suck At Customer Service Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spokane228:
I fear this incident will negatively impact your Namibian Yelp rating.

Damn it! You beat me too it!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12335 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
Tell him it comes with a 2 part warranty. If it breaks he gets to keep both parts!

I have made a note of that. I WILL find an opportunity to use it. Big Grin

I freely give out a 30-30 warranty. 30 seconds or 30 feet, whichever comes first

Posts: 5323 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
There is always the Texas guaranty. If it breaks, you get to keep all of the pieces.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Should have bubble wrapped it and used those packing peanut things. That would have done it!

...Is this the door to the vault where that $45,000,000 is being held that I'm supposed to help some African prince get out of the country? I need to know because I'm supposed to get half, and this might be a convenient time to go and get it. Anybody want to take a road trip?

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
You forgot to put all those styrofoam peanuts inside the crate. That would have helped immensely!!!!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
You forgot to put all those styrofoam peanuts inside the crate. That would have helped immensely!!!!
Glitter. Fill it with glitter.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looking at the unpacking photos, is your 2x4 going over the outer portion of the handle?

Indeed it is. Unfortunately no matter how you build the crate there is always something over/near something else. We pad between those points of contact, in this case with some foam sheet folded up.

quote:
If someone had placed something heavy on that 2x4, couldn't the leverage generated by the handle be a problem?

Absolutely. Something could have been set on top of it, which is why "Do Not Stack" was painted on the crate. They could have dropped it, which is why "Fragile" was painted on the crate. They could have also set it up on its end, side, or upside down causing the door to put the pressure on the handle against the crate which is why "This side up" with an arrow were painted on the crate.

quote:
Obviously the weight of the 2x4 didn't cause the problem, but to my layman's eyes, it's location over the handles look to be a factor in the damage.

Of course the crate is a factor in the damage. They did something to cause the door to come in contact with the crate. It just so happened to do so in that fashion. Were it not for whatever it is they did it would have never touched.

Let's say I moved the wood away from that handle and they did the exact same thing. Then the wood comes in contact with a different part of the door damaging that area. Could be the paint on the hinge, a finial, or another part of the pressure system.

The guy was on the right track for the first 30 seconds. Hey....my door arrived damaged and I need some help. Once he indicated that it was 100% my fault, he didn't have insurance on the shipment, and I better fix it before he sues me, then my attitude changed as well.

I suspect he's in for a bigger surprise as well. They can't open the door due to the handle, and there is still the entire backside of that door and inner doors to inspect. The inner doors are painted and the inside of the outer door is all glass. If they were rough enough with it to break the handle off and cause paint damage I'm assuming there is more yet to come.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15719 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Glitter. Fill it with glitter.
For sure!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
He is now leaving reviews which are straying from his complaint. Take this one for example:

quote:
They restored a bank vault door - costing $35,000. It was done badly and fell apart before it could even be installed. It is essentially worthless scrap metal, and to top it all they just told me bad luck. They use car body filler and painted over it. They did not restore the fatigued metal parts.

See? Now it's just falling apart for no reason aside from the fact that I "did not restore fatigued metal parts" Big Grin

And how dare we use car body filler prior to painting over it with car body paint!

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15719 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Yeah, this could've gone a whole lot differently for him if he said he needed help and tried to work with you to figure out a solution. Like the god father, I am sure you are a reasonable man. Then he went full retard. Never go full retard.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't it be nearly impossible for something to be shipped that far and never be anywhere but safely on its own in a corner? No matter what you write on the crate? I'm guessing this went by ship, not by plane, right?

Like others I suspect it was handled much more roughly than just being stacked unless it was under a truck, and that led to the damage. Remarkable that someone would ship something that I assume was a costly project and not insure it.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12419 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
...Something could have been set on top of it, which is why "Do Not Stack" was painted on the crate. They could have dropped it, which is why "Fragile" was painted on the crate. They could have also set it up on its end, side, or upside down causing the door to put the pressure on the handle against the crate which is why "This side up" with an arrow were painted on the crate.

You didn't translate those warnings into all languages spoken at the UN. It's clearly your fault. Big Grin

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2039 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
Should have bubble wrapped it and used those packing peanut things. That would have done it!

...Is this the door to the vault where that $45,000,000 is being held that I'm supposed to help some African prince get out of the country? I need to know because I'm supposed to get half, and this might be a convenient time to go and get it. Anybody want to take a road trip?

I'm in for the trip as I am supposed to get the other half, at least the last email said I get half.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6487 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Out of curiosity, how much would it have cost for him to insure it?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wouldn't it be nearly impossible for something to be shipped that far and never be anywhere but safely on its own in a corner? No matter what you write on the crate? I'm guessing this went by ship, not by plane, right?

I suppose that depends on how much you're willing to pay and the risk you're willing to accept. We have shipped doors as single shipments. It's expensive but you then don't have to worry about anything else being around it. You also reduce the number of times it is being loaded and unloaded.

I know it went on a truck here because I loaded it myself. I don't know how many times it switched trucks on the way to the ocean, but I'm assuming at some point it was put into a cargo container. I don't know if it was in there on its own, how it was placed, or how it was secured. Once it was in Africa it's anybody's guess. I'm assuming they don't have air ride trucks with four lane paved highways there.

quote:
Remarkable that someone would ship something that I assume was a costly project and not insure it.

Especially since I pointed that out to him more than once prior to shipping. On a typical safe or vault door the shipping company is responsible for about $1.00 per pound. Antiques, glass, and several other categories of damage are specifically not covered. You can buy additional coverage through the shipper or from a third party.

He said there was paint damage as well but I do not have any good photos of that. If the handle was the only part broken it isn't the end of the world. It's actually the shaft that is broken, and that shaft is a big gear at the other end. Probably $1,000 to machine a new one due to the gear.

quote:
Out of curiosity, how much would it have cost for him to insure it?

In his case I don't really know. I'm assuming the ocean voyage and destination location would have played a big role in determining a premium.

Here in the US less than $1,000 will generally cover you up into the $50,000 range. I have done single shipments with extra insurance for $3,000 or so.

www.zykansafe.com

Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
Tell him it comes with a 2 part warranty. If it breaks he gets to keep both parts!

That's better than the old 30/30 warranty...30 feet or 30 seconds. Big Grin

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
He is now leaving reviews which are straying from his complaint. Take this one for example:

quote:
They restored a bank vault door - costing $35,000. It was done badly and fell apart before it could even be installed. It is essentially worthless scrap metal, and to top it all they just told me bad luck. They use car body filler and painted over it. They did not restore the fatigued metal parts.

See? Now it's just falling apart for no reason aside from the fact that I "did not restore fatigued metal parts" Big Grin

And how dare we use car body filler prior to painting over it with car body paint!

You used Bondo? That’s brilliant. Wink Big Grin

Posts: 12467 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
You used Bondo? That’s brilliant.

Shhhh! Trade secrets. We also use primer.

www.zykansafe.com

posted Hide Post
from now on , the crate should be three times the weight of the door being shipped.

that's the inter-continental rule Big Grin

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54647 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
i think I would either of included insurance in the price or required proof of insurance prior to shipping it. I would of the told the buyer from this phone call forward it is your deal and had him sign a release of some sort. At that point no more phone calls from the prince or staff unless they had questions about the install.

No drama, no SF posts etc Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19190 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post