SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cutting down a carving knife
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cutting down a carving knife Login/Join 
Team Apathy
posted
Hello all, I’ve got a 14” Mercer Praxis carving knife that I love, it’s just way too big for most uses.

https://www.webstaurantstore.c...andle/470M26080.html

I went looking to see if I could find one, of similar, in the 6-8” range, and I’m not finding it. How successful could one be cutting a longer one down to size? I know cutting it would be easy enough, but shaping the end probably would be harder? The blade is very thin so I imagine it would heat up very quickly…

Thoughts?

Posts: 6367 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:
Hello all, I’ve got a 14” Mercer Praxis carving knife that I love, it’s just way too big for most uses.

https://www.webstaurantstore.c...andle/470M26080.html

I went looking to see if I could find one, of similar, in the 6-8” range, and I’m not finding it. How successful could one be cutting a longer one down to size? I know cutting it would be easy enough, but shaping the end probably would be harder? The blade is very thin so I imagine it would heat up very quickly…

Thoughts?

It would cut easily enough, and it wouldn't be too hard round off the end with a file. Surely there is a shorter one, though.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
they have an 8 inch:

https://www.everythingkitchens..._content=Catch%20All

Different style/profile though. I like this ultra thin blade with rounded tip for slicing roasts.

quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

It would cut easily enough, and it wouldn't be too hard round off the end with a file. Surely there is a shorter one, though.

I can’t seem to find that style knife shorter than 10”… perhaps there is a good reason for that.

But for $20 and a little bit of time in the garage I guess I can give it a whirl. I’m
Thinking I can easily cut it with the thinnest cut off wheel on a grinder and then finish shaping with my Ken Onion sharpener.

Posts: 6367 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Look at a Nakiri. It's a style of Japanese chef's knife with a similar thin blade and blunt tip. Usually offered in 5" and 7" versions.

Posts: 32512 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Re-profiling a knife is super simple. As most understand, you just have to watch your temperatures. You never wanna exceed 400° while grinding.

You need to preserve the heat treatment and the temper. Most knife makers work with a pot of water with an Easybeats of their belt grinder.

If you see any color on the steel above “straw” (~450F), ie blue (600) or black (toast), then you must take it off.

You can do this without powered tools, as suggested but it will take longer. However we are only talking about a minute versus 30 minutes.

Very simple project.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post