SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Counter Depth Fridge Recommendation or expert repair adice urgently needed
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Counter Depth Fridge Recommendation or expert repair adice urgently needed Login/Join 
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted
{sigh} Our eight year old Samsung Fridge is having cooling issues.
Cools but only gets down to around 40, freezer gets down to 25-28 (from actual thermometers inside).
Compressor runs.
Outside coils clean.
Took inside back off and coils not freezing, in fact no light frost at all (freezer unit).
Unplugged and let computer reset, ran power freeze.
Still only gets so cold. Frown

Called a tech and said it was a common Samsung problem > cost about $900 ....
Can buy brand new for a $1K.

Wife doesn't want another Samsung.

The problem is the Kitchen is not so big and a full size fridge sticks out too far.

Looking for a reliable counter depth model if possible.

Or a hail-Mary fix for the Samsung.

Any ideas?

Posts: 23227 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
We bought a counter depth fridge, its a Electrolux/Icon, so far the only problem
we've had is the water dispenser flap broke, which I replaced after ordering online.

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
This doesn't help you (sorry), but...

We're unlikely to ever buy another Samsung appliance again. When it was time to replace the old washer my wife did her homework and settled on a particular Samsung model. It sure has lots of cool features, including an app--if you have a Samsung mobile device. But it's so far been a serious disappointment as a clothes washing machine. E.g.: It's got an auto-level fill that's erratic, to say the least, and often wildly wrong. It'll fill with 5x the water it needs for tiny loads and leave larger loads high & dry--literally. She's really regretting the purchase, but we're stuck with it for a while.

Before she realized the washer was a bust, the old dryer died. Replaced it with a Samsung to match the washing machine. Once again: Bad decision. E.g.: Unless you load large items (bedsheets, for example) in it just >< so, it balls them up, they don't dry, and they wrinkle like crazy.

Yours, btw, is not the first time I've heard of people having issues with Samsung refrigerators.

Yeah... no more Samsung appliances for us.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Years ago I had a similar issue. There's a hole/vent that transfers air from the freezer to the fridge. Mine had ice built up on it. Check to see if you have one of those.

Posts: 5821 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out repairclinic.com you can search by model number and find solutions to problems.

I fixed an LG fridge for $30 and 15 minutes of my time.

https://www.repairclinic.com/R...igerator-not-cooling

Posts: 5466 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
FWIW we have a Frigidaire counter depth that has never cooled the way I like them to. The freezer is fine. Below zero, but the frig part works it's ass of to get to 38-39 degrees even though it's set at 33. That's obviously sufficient to keep food from spoiling as it's been that way for many years and we're still alive. But I like my water cold.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whirlpool/maytag. They make a counter depth French door that is a good refrigerator.

Posts: 21417 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Good tips on double checking some things.
Saw a basic Kitchen Aid at Lowes today for about $2K.
Well, it's a starting point.
thanks

PS also considering a freezer less model and a separate freezer.

Posts: 23227 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
We previously bought an LG counter-depth French door model and liked it; the new house we’re in also has one. They clearly don’t hold as much, but they don’t stick out.
Trouble is these are expensive.
Haven’t really heard anything bad about the LG’s.

Posts: 18383 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I installed a stainless Bosch counter depth residential (about 21sq ft.)in my RV about 5 years ago (side by side). It runs 24/7. The RV is outside and temps range from below zero in the winter and over 100 in the summer.Like a constant earthquake when driving down the road. A horrible environment for any appliance to live in.
Never skips a beat, built like a tank.

Posts: 4699 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SJS
posted Hide Post
We have an LG counter depth fridge and it’s been great so far. Works well for us, but it’s only been about 3-4 years.

SJS

Posts: 682 | Location: NC | Registered: January 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check your email. As a Whirlpool employee... I’m partial to our products. I think the KitchenAid models are hard to beat, and are still made in Amana, IA. If you have more specifics, I can try to make a better recommendation. But hopefully my email helps.

Posts: 347 | Location: Ohio | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by absolut18:
Check your email. As a Whirlpool employee... I’m partial to our products. I think the KitchenAid models are hard to beat, and are still made in Amana, IA. If you have more specifics, I can try to make a better recommendation. But hopefully my email helps.

Will check it out, thanks.

parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
FWIW we have a Frigidaire counter depth that has never cooled the way I like them to. The freezer is fine. Below zero, but the frig part works it's ass of to get to 38-39 degrees even though it's set at 33. That's obviously sufficient to keep food from spoiling as it's been that way for many years and we're still alive. But I like my water cold.

40° is the cutoff for food safety, but 33° is overkill. Cold water is what ice is for.

Posts: 8276 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by absolut18:

Just sent you an email with a Whirlpool question.

Posts: 21417 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
We had a Samsung counter depth french door refrigerator and had the problems described here. After screwing with it for 2 years, we got a Bosch.

Posts: 4099 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
Years ago I had a similar issue. There's a hole/vent that transfers air from the freezer to the fridge. Mine had ice built up on it. Check to see if you have one of those.

Our hole has a rubber flap "door" over it. It's supposed to open when the freezer fan comes on, but it can be a problem area when you have good freeze temps but bad fridge temps. If you watch it with a flashlight, you can see it open (or not).

Posts: 10883 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Our counter depth GE Profile is over 23 years old. Works like a champ, always has, though some will say they don't make them as well these days. I've heard good things about Kitchen Aid as well. Came close to buying one simply to update the look to stainless, but replacing something that works for aesthetics doesn't sit well.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10362 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
I got a counter depth Kitchen Aid french door refrigerator last month. Love it so far. I have a small kitchen and glad I went with the counter depth model.

Posts: 4065 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Update: The portal set up by absolut18 was fantastic.
The issue now is getting the wife on the same page.

Did get lured by some other nice LG's and Samsung's but will not as seems both are plagued by similar reliability issues that took our Samsung down, but they sure are nice looking.

Now, just comparing: KitchenAid and GE Profile.

Other issue is delivery time.
Also comparing to getting a floor model or refurb Frown from the Sears Outlet Store where prices are great, can get relatively fast but the condition is questionable.
Also considering those "extra" warranty - something I would never do and still may not.

Hopefully done by this weekend > yeah!
Appreciate the help.