SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Condensation in the gas tank and frozen gas lines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Condensation in the gas tank and frozen gas lines Login/Join 
posted
Do I really need to fill up the tank before the 2016 CRV goes into a warm shop for a couple hours?

I grew up in upstate NY where 1) it gets really cold, and 2) my cars never saw the inside of a garage, heated or not. I was always told to fill the tank before bringing the car into a warm building. However, I never had direct knowledge of anyone with a frozen gas lines.

Flash forward to the present. I live in eastern IA, have an attached (but not heated) garage, use regular with 10% ethanol, and in winter months my CRV is rarely parked outside for more than a couple hours. However, next week it'll be in a heated shop for a couple hours. It's on half, I'll probably top it off just to be safe.

Do I need to fill up the tank it goes into a warm shop for a couple hours?

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No.

Think about it like this: Those who have heated garages drive in the cold weather, park outside at work, drive home and park in the heated garage again without a problem.

You won't have a problem, either.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
No. In Alaska (ethanol free gasoline state), my truck would spend at least 10 hours per day in the parking lot at work, and then would spend the night in my heated garage. At least once a month, it would spend a week parked at the airport and then be parked in my heated garage. Zero condensation issues causing freezing.

If you already have water in your gasoline, your solution should be different.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23101 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
Once you get it back, fill tank and add some gas line drying additive, they remove moisture from tank and gas lines. While we don't get super cold (30's) in my area we do get cold snaps (lower teens) the stuff helps. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Anchor:
Once you get it back, fill tank and add some gas line drying additive, they remove moisture from tank and gas lines. While we don't get super cold (30's) in my area we do get cold snaps (lower teens) the stuff helps. Chris

Absolutely no need to add HEET to the tank if his gas contains 10% ethanol.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, ethanol made HEET obsolete.
Is it possible you got some bad fuel?

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post