SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Car towed, some people should quit before they get too far behind.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Car towed, some people should quit before they get too far behind. Login/Join 
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
There's dope stashed in the truck.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
We had a predatory Tow Operator here, back in 05 he was on trial for the practice of towing cars that didn't need to be towed, or, if they were forcing customers to pay cash to get the cars back, it was a big stink.

Even while he was scheduled for trial over the predatory practices he had drivers continue to do the same stuff.

They'd circle the downtown streets looking for cars to grab and targeted rentals especially to get tourists that had to pay to get the car back to return.

He would charge $145, which was over the amount the city allows to be charged by code, locating the business outside the city limits in order to avoid being subject to other rules, it was a mess, people stopped going downtown to shop and eat...

They had deals with parking attendants to send cars to lots to park during events that they could "legally" tow them from then they'd clean out a whole lot.

Link

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:

That's what I was thinking. Valuable enough to do what they did...
But... why not just pay the impound lot and get the truck back?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:

....because they are cheap bastages?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:

You guys give them too much credit. These people are just stupid. I don't think it needs any further explanation. Wink

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:

These people are just stupid. I don't think it needs any further explanation.

Trying to explain beyond that just muddy's the water. Just as you can't explain stupid. Well, unless you're stupid yourself. Maybe then it makes perfect sense.

Or not.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
They arrested the man now.

https://www.kptv.com/news/seco...4c-f7a195916429.html

I hope the pickup had insurance on it and the employee can get a policy limit settlement.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
From the article Mars linked:

quote:
Court documents state a woman told investigators that Penagos-Cloare was upset about her van being towed because she had items inside the van. The woman also told police that on the same day as the hit-and-run, Penagos-Clare was driven to a drug dealer to tell him she got him a pickup to settle a debt.

Durrett said he actually had contact with the woman about her towed van before the hit-and-run occurred.

Penagos-Clare covered her face throughout her arraignment Tuesday.
She probably didn't have the money to pay the impound lot. Or likely had drugs in the vehicle and didn't want to lose them or get busted for them.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6214 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
She probably didn't have the money to pay the impound lot.

Impound lot bills can run up fast. In 2004 I had a vehicle stolen in Henderson, NV (near Vegas). It was recovered and impounded. In less than 24 hours the bill was half a grand. Good thing I had insurance, or I'd have had a hard time. This is not to say that the subject's actions or behavior were justified.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
From what I have read, the girl had possession of the truck, (which was a stolen vehicle), she was going to use (give) to someone, to pay off a drug debt.

It got towed (spotted parked and recognized as a reported stolen vehicle) and was in the impound lot pending police investigation.

The girl had belongings in the truck (I'm guessing drugs), and that is why she went to steal the stolen truck.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43885 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
So little appreciation for guys who put their lives on the line each and every day they go to work. Just because there are a few bad apples does not negate the fact that the majority of them are good people sacrificing to serve the public.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15719 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Dude looks like Elaine Benes' dad......

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the main article is correct, the driver had earlier picked up and towed the truck because it was reported as stolen. If so, she was trying to retrieve a stolen truck, which is double stupid.

The second article confirmed that the truck was stolen: "The victim in this case, Josh Durrett, was in court Tuesday for Penagos-Clare's arraignment."

Also: "Court documents state a woman told investigators that Penagos-Cloare was upset about her van being towed because she had items inside the van. The woman also told police that on the same day as the hit-and-run, Penagos-Clare was driven to a drug dealer to tell him she got him a pickup to settle a debt.

Durrett said he actually had contact with the woman about her towed van before the hit-and-run occurred."

So she obtained a stolen truck to pay off a drug debt. She is incredibly stupid, and if she gave her drug dealer a stolen truck, the dealer could be busted for driving a stolen truck and for any drugs he had on him.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:

These people are just stupid. I don't think it needs any further explanation.

Trying to explain beyond that just muddy's the water. Just as you can't explain stupid. Well, unless you're stupid yourself. Maybe then it makes perfect sense.

Or not.

I don’t know if it is actually stupidity, but it sure looks a lot like it...

It seems like more and more these days you come across folks who don’t think about “What is going to happen next if I <whatever>”?

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
. . . The last one, my attorney told me, you cannot charge because you cannot "steal" your own property...

Not exactly true that you can’t steal your own property.
There are occasions where the property is being held as collateral (which is exactly what happens with a tow yard and other instances like a pawn shop).

But also nowhere in the article does that say it is actually her car or even that it was not repossessed.

More to the story as no one with that nice of a truck is going to go through all that to get their truck back from a parking violation tow.[/QUOTE]

Also, you might want to ask OJ Simpson if you can't get in trouble for stealing your own property back. Didn't work out too well for him, either. Smile

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My only apparent accomplishment in life is being banned from an ancient forum
posted Hide Post
I hope they throw the book at that bitch. She nearly killed that poor tow driver.

Posts: 166 | Location: Washington State | Registered: December 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post