SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can You Hear It? (Penn and Teller)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can You Hear It? (Penn and Teller) Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted
I couldn't figure out what the signal was until I turned my speakers all the way up. Even though I'm 61, I am able to hear it. I guess I'm a child at heart, well, in my ears anyway.

So can anyone else hear it? Maybe ask your young children if they can.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16363 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
I hear it and I'm over fifty. Kinda sounds like the ringing I get in my ears sometimes, but at a great distance.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I hear it clear as day on an iPhone at about half volume. Annoyingly clear actually.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7684 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I don’t hear a thing. Too much time in tanks,

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Must be relatively high frequency, can't hear a thing.

I assume Teller is signalling them somehow?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15245 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Yes. On MacBook pro speakers at 50%.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5409 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
For me volume makes a big difference.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16363 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
The mosquito ring tone put to a fun use.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the audio compression pushed the high pitched tone lower into audible range. It seemed too easy.

Posts: 13049 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
I cannot hear the signal.

I'm trying to figure out how Penn knew what color ball each parent has holding, so that he (or someone else) could give the signal. That was the heart of the trick.

Posts: 4820 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eponym:
I cannot hear the signal.

I'm trying to figure out how Penn knew what color ball each parent has holding, so that he (or someone else) could give the signal. That was the heart of the trick.

I was wondering that as well. Only thing I could come up with, the parents were instructed to choose an assigned color. I.e. they were "in" on the trick, or at least part of it.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
I watched it carefully several times and noted the bowl and tabletop are clear glass. Would a camera hidden below the table be cheating?

Posts: 4820 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eponym:
I watched it carefully several times and noted the bowl and tabletop are clear glass. Would a camera hidden below the table be cheating?

Good observation. No, that's not cheating. Technology is fair game for many illusions (although P&T draw the line at overt camera tricks).

Also, neither Penn nor Teller would have to know who had which color; only the guy offstage working the sonic alarm.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
I couldn’t hear it. I had the speakers on my iPad all the way up, but I didn’t turn my hearing aids up. Maybe I’ll try it again.

I can still hear sleigh bells, though!

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1681 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I can hear it and heard it at the beginning when Teller is teaching the children.

Posts: 4011 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So what's up with Teller that he doesn't speak on Penn & Teller Fool me show? It's always Penn that does all the talking. Just curious

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
So what's up with Teller that he doesn't speak on Penn & Teller Fool me show? It's always Penn that does all the talking. Just curious

Not just now on Fool Us. Teller stopped "pattering" as a magician before he even partnered with Penn Jillette. Working frat parties he found that not talking during performances cut down on heckling. After teaming up to form Penn & Teller, he found that the formula still worked to allow Penn do all the talking.

But if you really want to hear Teller speak, here's a very recent episode from the current season...

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
He started magic young and found that people payed more attention to his act when he was silent. Also may have had some bullying or something - I forget.

He has talked several times during the show. We record it on DVR and watch most of them. There's nothing wrong with his voice or intelligence - just a stage choice...

And I couldn't hear any noise...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Funny thing is after I was finished watching it I could still hear ringing in my ears.

Posts: 314 | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I can hear it.

Posts: 11170 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post