SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Rice University introduces new course: Afrochemistry
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rice University introduces new course: Afrochemistry Login/Join 
posted
From Rice’s own course catalog: CHEM 125 001 (CRN: 25669) Afrochemistry

“Description: Students will apply chemical tools and analysis to understand Black life in the U.S. and students will implement African American sensibilities to analyze chemistry. Diverse historical and contemporary scientists, intellectuals, and chemical discoveries will inform personal reflections and proposals for addressing inequities in chemistry and chemical education. This course will be accessible to students from a variety of backgrounds including STEM and non-STEM disciplines. No prior knowledge of chemistry or African American studies is required for engagement in this course.”

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...frican-american.html

Wow!

Posts: 777 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
So the course will have no actual value then. Got it.

Posts: 13300 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dr Brooke Johnson teaches the class that doesn't count towards chemistry major

Lol.

Totally not surprised. Rice is the Ivy League of the South.

Q

Posts: 26466 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I'm not even gonna try to make sense of that word salad

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
It’s probably fulfills the diversity class requirement.

Back in the 80s, I attended a 2-year school, earned an AS degree, then transferred to a 4-year school. By getting the associates degree, all of my credits transferred and all of my classes were accepted as the equivalent class at the 4-year school. The only lower level class that was require for graduation I didn’t have was the then newly required diversity class. There were a variety of classes offered that met the requirement. I think I took African-American Literature.

I strongly suspect that’s what Rice’s Afrochemistry class is, just another option to meet a requirement, just another option to meet a requirement for graduation.

Posts: 11008 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107715 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I'm not even gonna try to make sense of that word salad

I think they are making black crack from white cocaine.

Posts: 3526 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JFK famously said why does Texas play Rice? Perhaps that course is to pump up their football team

Posts: 17268 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Onion? Babylon Bee?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30719 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Wasn't the original proposed name of Rice, Sam Houston Institute of Technology, at least until someone figured out what the abbreviation would be?

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11781 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Featuring guest lecturer Oswald Bates, pending the outcome of his parole hearing.

posted Hide Post
quote:
The class does not give any credits for a chemistry major, but does court towards an African and African-American studies minor.

The description noted 'no prior knowledge of chemistry or African American studies is required' and there is no final exam.

The course has little to do with chemistry...counts towards a social studies degree...zero prerequisites required...and there's no final exam. Got it. As a college student, why am I wasting my time and money with such a course?

Rice, Stanford, Duke...all the same Roll Eyes

Posts: 14688 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
As a college student, why am I wasting my time and money with such a course?
It won't be the student's money to begin with.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
students will implement African American sensibilities to analyze chemistry.

What does that mean?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20838 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
students will implement African American sensibilities to analyze chemistry.
What does that mean?

DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
Do they teach engineering as well? Roll Eyes

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1906 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by two-two-niner-romeo:
Do they teach engineering as well? Roll Eyes

Already posted Big Grin

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43918 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When you got nothing and you know it but you have to put on a ‘show’, the “Afro Circus” act is the way to go!

From Madagascar 3 (yootoob) -

Afro Circus

“Ra da da da da da da da Circus
Da da da da da da da da
Afro Circus, Afro Circus, Afro
Polka dot, polka dot, polka dot, Afro!”

Posts: 3493 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Well there can be a missing chemical component to mental illness so maybe they will touch on that.

Posts: 5310 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I’ve heard of Afro engineering but not Afro chemistry.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7963 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post