SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any plumbers, tile guys? --- Got a new mess to deal with.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any plumbers, tile guys? --- Got a new mess to deal with. Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted
My daughter brought to our attention that a spot was growing on her ceiling. I knew immediately it was related to our small upstairs shower, but today I got the drywall opened to find (in addition to wet insulation) this mess.

Seems to me its coming between the toile and the tile maybe. Not sure how that is supposed to work to keep water out, but it's failed. Not sure if it can be fixed easily without ripping out the tile, or if it is going to need more extensive surgery.

Any info or experience from the pros, or those experienced with these older 1960's/1970's tile floor showers is appreciated. Do they even still do these sometimes? Usually all I see today is the precast or plastic style.

Posts: 11393 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
I had the same issue in my house years ago. Upstairs stall shower, wet spot on drywall below it.

It took a plumber not very long to open up the drywall and replace the flange from below. Totally non-invasive from the shower side.

In our case the partbitsekf was cracked.

Posts: 6374 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Should" be a quick fix for a reputable plumber. I doubt you'll have any more demo/repairs than the drywall ceiling once completed.

Side note - the joint compound in that drywall may very well be hot for asbestos. Not the end of the world, but use caution.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
It may be a compromised shower pan. The shower pan flange clamps onto lead or plastic. The lead or plastic is formed into a pan and a tile guy finishes the pan. Lots of times the shower guy sets the flange themselves and the plumber connects the drain.

Insurance job, or insurance claim at a minimum. I know a guy who would submit 90 line items. So far.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! It sounds like it may not be bad, but yeah, perhaps calling the insurance adjuster makes sense since having that seal break loose has caused some collateral damage.

I never even think of insurance. I'm sure I have a $500 deductible, but if I hire this out, it's sure to go a thousand over that, or more. And if for whatever reason the types of products in play here require something more extensive be done with that tile, then YIKE$!

Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Bad enough. New shower pan is the standard fix. Insurance would probably pay to get to the leak and put everything back exactly how it was but not pay for the actual $20 plumbing part.

Like I said, I know a guy who would roll into there, set up HEPA filters, don TYVEK goggles gloves, and tear everything suspect out. Treat all mold and mildew. By the time an adjuster shows up, the entire pan and subfloor is removed, along with a sizable portion of the ceiling. It is quickly up to 300 line items on his $5,000 insurance-quote program (the same one industry uses).

The insurance industry will lowball everything, demo, reconstruction, using local handyman numbers, and try to get the GC to accept a check quickly. Where-as the GC runs the job through his program and typically waits months to get paid. He absorbs the homeowner' deductible.

There is a tussle if the check comes to the homeowner by accident, when they see the settled amount. Then all of a sudden it is "their" money, and they want an itemized bill from the GC ...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
Bad enough. New shower pan is the standard fix. Insurance would probably pay to get to the leak and put everything back exactly how it was but not pay for the actual $20 plumbing part.

Like I said, I know a guy who would roll into there, set up HEPA filters, don TYVEK goggles gloves, and tear everything suspect out. Treat all mold and mildew. By the time an adjuster shows up, the entire pan and subfloor is removed, along with a sizable portion of the ceiling. It is quickly up to 300 line items on his $5,000 insurance-quote program (the same one industry uses).

The insurance industry will lowball everything, demo, reconstruction, using local handyman numbers, and try to get the GC to accept a check quickly. Where-as the GC runs the job through his program and typically waits months to get paid. He absorbs the homeowner' deductible.

There is a tussle if the check comes to the homeowner by accident, when they see the settled amount. Then all of a sudden it is "their" money, and they want an itemized bill from the GC ...

Woodman, be careful of what information or misinformation you post. I'm in the industry that you speak of, I have seen countless claims of the same manner as r0gue's be denied. A claim of this nature can easily be chalked up to improper maintenance and not covered, even though it is hidden damage. The photo posted shows that the leak has been going on for some time due to rust and coloring of the sub floor. Homeowner's Insurance covers sudden and accidental issues, not maintenance issues.

Not stating that the claim would be denied, but the last thing r0gue needs to do is have a mitigation company or contractor come in, gut the bathroom then be left without coverage and looking at a costly repair out of pocket because of false information.

Additionally, the insurance companies won't come in and try to low ball and pull some shady moves to get the homeowner to go away on the cheap. Please know that there are standards within our industry. The issues that arise the most are when an inexperienced adjuster gets a claim that is over their head and simply doesn't have the knowledge yet to write a proper repair estimate. This is not common, but does occur. When that does occur, documentation from the contractor is provided as to why their estimate is more than the adjuster's to repair. Adjusters do not care how much it costs, they just care about the documentation as to why it cost what it costs. They have to answer to their supervisors just like everyone else in the world.

The other time that a difference in cost occurs is when the contractor or mitigation company is the one pulling one over on the homeowner or insurance company. Insurance work is not a blank check job, despite what many contractors and homeowners believe. Often the contractors are the ones causing the problems more than the adjusters these days. Just because the contractor is bidding a job at $30k doesn't mean it is, it may very well only be a $15k repair job. (For the record, I do not work for an insurance company, I'm on the mitigation/contractor side).

Finally, waving a deductible or absorbing one is a poor business decision and can often be illegal in a variety of ways. At the very least it's unethical and in many states, certainly falls into insurance fraud or tax fraud.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MattW:
Finally, waving a deductible or absorbing one is a poor business decision and can often be illegal in a variety of ways. At the very least it's unethical and in many states, certainly falls into insurance fraud or tax fraud.

I did two 'insurance jobs' with the GC, back to back, and that was two too many for my lifetime. He checks the policy first, then makes the pitch. Ultimately it is on him to do the work, and he seems to know what is covered and what is not covered. He calls it "playing their own game" and is ready to wait months for payment or even to go to court (his wife is a lawyer). Whatever he is doing, I'm no longer involved.

Me, I stick with boilers, commercial restaurant work, design consulting, project management, sales.

Regarding the picture, yep, leaving it to the insurance inspector is best. Looks like pan failure; clamp-on flanges are massively over-engineered and typically would not be the weak spot. Conceivably it is the pipe between the strainer and the trap, but probably not.

Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MattW:
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:

Woodman, be careful of what information or misinformation you post. I'm in the industry that you speak of, I have seen countless claims of the same manner as r0gue's be denied. A claim of this nature can easily be chalked up to improper maintenance and not covered, even though it is hidden damage. The photo posted shows that the leak has been going on for some time due to rust and coloring of the sub floor. Homeowner's Insurance covers sudden and accidental issues, not maintenance issues.

Not stating that the claim would be denied, but the last thing r0gue needs to do is have a mitigation company or contractor come in, gut the bathroom then be left without coverage and looking at a costly repair out of pocket because of false information.

Additionally, the insurance companies won't come in and try to low ball and pull some shady moves to get the homeowner to go away on the cheap. Please know that there are standards within our industry. The issues that arise the most are when an inexperienced adjuster gets a claim that is over their head and simply doesn't have the knowledge yet to write a proper repair estimate. This is not common, but does occur. When that does occur, documentation from the contractor is provided as to why their estimate is more than the adjuster's to repair. Adjusters do not care how much it costs, they just care about the documentation as to why it cost what it costs. They have to answer to their supervisors just like everyone else in the world.

The other time that a difference in cost occurs is when the contractor or mitigation company is the one pulling one over on the homeowner or insurance company. Insurance work is not a blank check job, despite what many contractors and homeowners believe. Often the contractors are the ones causing the problems more than the adjusters these days. Just because the contractor is bidding a job at $30k doesn't mean it is, it may very well only be a $15k repair job. (For the record, I do not work for an insurance company, I'm on the mitigation/contractor side).

"Homeowner's Insurance covers sudden and accidental issues, not maintenance issues."

Yes. Many people are unaware of this basic, but misunderstood, rule.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
r0gue,

If it were me, I'd have my plumber come out and assess. If it's a flange/rusty pipe issue it should be a quick fix. I would start with having the plumber swap that trap and any other fittings they can get to then monitor for leaks the next few days as the shower is used. If all is well, repair drywall and paint the ceiling.

If the plumber determines it's not a flange/rusty pipe issue then you have other options to pursue and consider. Could be looking at more demo of the shower or all the way up to a potential remodel depending on how old the tile is and how it runs into the rest of the bathroom. Not ruling out a claim for you, but would certainly align everything for financial reasons before having a contractor go to town in hopes of insurance picking up the tab.

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Makes sense guys, Thanks!

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
plumber said it was more than just the drain. Simple path forward for a dope like me is gut the 1962 bathroom and get on with it. Getting tired of all of the things that have hamstrung me -- dripping shower that uses valves that can't be fixed, apparently.

My only hesitation is he was a younger guy (30s maybe), so you know, is he familiar with this sort of thing? But still... Take off and nuke it from space. It's the only way to be sure.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
plumber said it was more than just the drain. Simple path forward for a dope like me is gut the 1962 bathroom and get on with it. Getting tired of all of the things that have hamstrung me -- dripping shower that uses valves that can't be fixed, apparently.

My only hesitation is he was a younger guy (30s maybe), so you know, is he familiar with this sort of thing? But still... Take off and nuke it from space. It's the only way to be sure.

Or get a 2nd or 3rd opinion before you nuke the bathroom.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25431 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Get a 2nd opinion. He may be right but it’s always good to have two or more people look at it.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16404 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is hard to tell what is going on beyond the joist with mold or rot. If the pan is compromised,which happens, you will have to rip out the flooring. It is not hard to do but will take time. You can try and file a claim with your insurance, to see if they will cover it, as it can get costly,even if you do it yourself.

Another thing is if you hire a company to do the work,be careful what you sign with/in their contracts. I had a major issue with a company here in Fl. that really could have screwed me over big time,if I didn't contact my insurance company afterwards. Some companies have a clause in them that states their prices can be changed and they could file a claim for you and the trouble starts from there. If you go through your insurance with a claim, some restoration companies could charge you and your insurance company more than triple what the repairs should cost compared to other companies in the area, which will leave you holding the bag legally, for the extra charges/cost your insurance company doesn't cover.

I just had to redo my bathroom,( I had a copper pipe leak behind the walls), and had to do some major work to it and I have a concrete floor. I had to rip out the walls, framework,etc., and then found mold under the floor tile, so that had to be done as well. I did the majority of the work myself and it was not hard. I tried to get some restoration companies to give me an estimate(s) and do the work but because the job was small, it would take a while for them to do(when they had free time pretty much,with their workers compared to other jobs). I actually only had one company that actually came to my house to see what needed to be done. The others gave me insane quotes over the phone. I saved literally thousands on doing it myself other than the tile work-sucks to have bad knees. If you are a handy and can do it yourself, Youtube, believe it or not can be a great wealth of knowledge with repairs, with a minimal amount of tools needed.

Posts: 6893 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
patw,

Unless r0gue is in Florida as well, your information is mostly scare tactics to him.

You're referring to the Assignment of Benefits (AOB's) within the contract. It was out of control in Florida for the longest of times. It is my understanding that the laws pertaining to the AOB's have changed significantly for the better recently, unless one is a shady contractor or attorney. I have not had time to read up on them at the moment, but will be in the near future.

posted Hide Post
r0gue,

Start with a second opinion, unless you're just looking for a reason to gut the bathroom. Nothing wrong with that either.

If you can, post some photos of the interior of the bathroom. If it's all original, I suspect the tile runs somewhat out of that shower into the same or similar tile, maybe even 4' up the walls?

If you opt to file a claim, I would have the adjuster come out prior to work starting to confirm coverage. Problem is, depending on your carrier they may not send one out, or send out an independent adjuster who is just eyes and ears for the carrier. They then send off their photos and notes for a desk adjuster with your carrier to make a determination. That can all take time...

I have seen claims of similar nature to yours covered just as well as I have seen them declined. You're in a bit of a gray area unfortunately Frown

posted Hide Post
I didn't mean to make it sound like a scare tactic but just to be aware of who's out there. I posted my experience on another forum and there were others in other states, that had similar experiences. I would hate to see anyone else get taken.

Posts: 6893 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
I didn't mean to make it sound like a scare tactic but just to be aware of who's out there. I posted my experience on another forum and there were others in other states, that had similar experiences. I would hate to see anyone else get taken.

Correct, and solid advice. I just weighed more on the Florida information than I should have. There are always shady contractors, without a doubt. For every 1 nightmare story there’s dozens of claims that go smoothly and never a word is said elsewhere. Unfortunate, but such is life.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:

1962? I'd say you've gotten your monies worth out of that shower. I'd gut the entire bathroom, make it nice, and make it yours.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post