SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mark Zuckerberg loses $16B in one day as Facebook stock plunges 20 percent
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mark Zuckerberg loses $16B in one day as Facebook stock plunges 20 percent Login/Join 
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted
Uh-oh, troubled waters for the Zuckster and Faceplant! Can't say that I'll lose any sleep over it.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/20...nges-20-percent.html

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
He better be careful...he's down to his last $67 billion.

Posts: 6084 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
And yet that loss of value likely has zero impact on his actual lifestyle. Oh if we all had it that good.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Zuckerberg lives a notoriously ordinary life outside of work, and resides in an average house in Palo Alto, CA. In fact, even his fans wish he would live a bit larger in keeping with his net worth.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16960 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Zuckerberg lives a notoriously ordinary life outside of work, and resides in an average house in Palo Alto, CA. In fact, even his fans wish he would live a bit larger in keeping with his net worth.

Haha, I too am unimpressed with his non flashy lifestyle.

A few years back, he vowed to only eat animals he killed himself. He actually hunted, as well as slaughtered and butchered his own sheep, pigs, and chickens.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
July 26, 2018
Guess that censorship at Facebook wasn't such a good idea

Facebook is taking a beating in the stock market, and it's not a pretty picture. I don't like to see things like this happening, given the kind of trouble it can bring to other areas of the market.

Here's the top story on Drudge (check out the picture), and I hope he's overdoing it:

The tech-heavy Nasdaq was set for a big down day Thursday after disappointing quarterly results from Facebook sent the social media giant hurtling toward its biggest share price decline ever and on track to lose more than $100 billion in market value.

The Invesco QQQ Trust, which tracks the Nasdaq 100 index and can give traders a good idea of how the Nasdaq stocks will trade, was down more than 2 percent at one point in after-hours trading Wednesday. At last count, the ETF was off by about 1.5 percent. Facebook lost about a fifth of its value after hours.

Nasdaq 100 futures were off by 0.8 percent.

The reasons seem kind of obvious. Earnings are down, and that means that people aren't using the site the way analysts projected. Privacy concerns are what's most often discussed, along with lower overseas growth, and there is probably something to it, as the earnings figures can be studied for impact and areas of underperformance. But I think censorship has taken a toll, too.

Seriously, do you feel as enthusiastic about Facebook as you did before all the censorship stories rolled out? The declaration of Diamond and Silk as "dangerous to the community" by Facebook's censors at its YouTube subsidiary? Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg's mixed-reviews congressional appearance? Did you want to use Facebook after learning that the company is composed solely of leftist hipsters who have it in for the right? Those were the news items as this profit report was being accumulated.

Sure, one can argue that Facebook's users aren't Facebook's customers, given that the revenue streams flow from its advertisers and data-aggregators. But without those users, enthusiastically slapping everything they know and do on their Facebook pages as they have, of what use is the diminishing data, sold to the paying customers?

Maybe Facebook would see a turnaround if it returned to its roots and scrapped the censorship at least. After all, terrorists and spray shooters are getting away with their posts while conservatives are being censored. This isn't necessarily all the work of hipster censors looking only for conservatives to silence – it's also because the job of censorship is too big for the company to handle. Facebook could easily make amends by hiring conservatives, for one, and getting out of the censorship business altogether by claiming a status similar to the telephone company, which is never responsible for the conversations of its customers.

https://www.americanthinker.co...uch_a_good_idea.html

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24644 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

An average 7 million dollar house in a neighborhood where he bought up several other houses totaling over 30 million that he then tore down. Yeah, sounds ordinary....?

Posts: 874 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bluecobra:
quote:

An average 7 million dollar house in a neighborhood where he bought up several other houses totaling over 30 million that he then tore down. Yeah, sounds ordinary....?

I'm just referring to his personal life, not his business ventures.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16960 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
“Mark Zuckerberg loses $16B in one day“

I’m good with this

Posts: 27185 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don't think so.

Zuckerberg's house in Palo Alto is a 5000 sq ft house purchased for 7 million dollars 7 years ago. 5000 sq ft is a large house even by Texas standards, but a huge one in Palo Alto. He also bought out four of the surrounding properties (one of them for 14 mil), knocked the structures down, and built much smaller structures, all for increased privacy and unobstructed views. He also has a 10 million dollar house in San Fran, pissing off his neighbors with the 2 million dollar renovation construction. And we're not counting his 100 million dollar Kauai oceanfront property of 750 acres, where he will build his vacation home.

Hardly "ordinary" and "average".

And great if the asshole loses a chunk.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17197 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Don’t worry much about Zuckerberg’s loss.

His so-called “net worth” is calculated at least in very large part by multiplying the number of shares he owns by the price. Slap a dollar sign on it, and call it worth. Highly theoretical, to dazzle bankers and astonish civilians.

There is no way he could sell all those shares at once, for anything like that price, ordinarily. He would never have that sum in cash. You know about cash... it’s as good as having money!

This is a good lesson in owning what are called high fliers. These are company shares so popular, in such demand, that the price of the shares has been bid up beyond all reason, usually on hopes and projections of even higher price or worth in the future.

More than 30 times earnings and 6-8 times book, even with relatively strong finances, is risky when, as here, something goes wrong. Maybe this is a short term set back, and will soon be alleviated. Maybe not.

Buffett is a buyer of Apple, but not Amazon. Wonder why? AMZN is 64 times book and over 200 times earnings. APPL is ~18 times earnings and a more modest ~7.5 times book, at a price somewhat higher than Buffett was buying.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me like a buy opportunity, Facebook stock at 20% off, I bet it rebounds quite nicely.

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
This is Zuckerberg's house. Quite modest for a mega-billionaire. Yes, he's been upscaling, but for years he rolled modestly.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

posted Hide Post
Can't say he did not ask for it.
Can sat I do not care.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Couldnt happen to a nicer guy. Hows that liberal slant working out for you there skippy?

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't bother me at all to see Facebook just crash and burn and go away forever.

Never been on it, never will be

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10755 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Sounds to me like a buy opportunity, Facebook stock at 20% off, I bet it rebounds quite nicely.

I don't know about that. I enjoy Facebook for many reasons. But I'm noticing a sharp drop of friends who actively post. Younger people hardly give a shit about facebook.

I think it's mostly due to the whole privacy thing and how toxic it has become with people constantly posting political shit. I had to cut off people for that reason, democrat or republican.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
But I'm noticing a sharp drop of friends who actively post. Younger people hardly give a shit about facebook.

I think it's mostly due to the whole privacy thing and how toxic it has become with people constantly posting political shit. I had to cut off people for that reason, democrat or republican.

Yeah, I have an account and maybe roll through it once or twice a month to like some of my friends photos. But I haven't posted a word in at least a year. I used a program to delete every post, comment, or like that I've ever made up to this year. And I run it every couple of months to purge it again.

My son and his GF have no FB account (young adults) and spend ZERO time on social media. Like none at all. They work summer jobs, go to the beach, play some video games, and get ready for the next semester of college.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
This is my facebook.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29910 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Jeeze, a lot of this sounds like jealousy and . . . and, well I don't know what.

As JAllen says, much of his wealth is probably not realizable as it is in FB stock, which he can't sell much of at the market price. He is super-rich, but not super-super rich. Some of his net worth is hypothetical. This reduction is also sort of hypothetical.

But so what? What did he do to you haters?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53249 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post