SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Leveled my lawn today, boy am I tired and out of shape.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leveled my lawn today, boy am I tired and out of shape. Login/Join 
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted
Had 7 cu yds of a sandy soil mix delivered this morning in an attempt to fix what was a minefield of holes and ruts in an otherwise nice lawn. Hired two local HS boys to help shovel the soil and spread from the wheelbarrow while I was on raking/leveling duty. Even then I’m spent.

Going to put out some fertilizer out tonight and water it in. Just pushing the wheelbarrow around afterward you can tell the difference.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Lawn....?

Wink

Having put a sprinkler system in a yard like that (twice - before and after the pool install), I know it sucks big time even with help to try to level things out.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
No before pics?

As an aside, I've noticed that in Texas, houses have very high peaked/ pitched roofs. What's the purpose of this? Certainly not to shed snow load.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3299 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
When we were kids our dad had us pushing around a drum with a handle on it. The drub would be filled up with water. He sure had us jumping about the property. Man and his castle, and all that. New construction on an old established orchard.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IntrepidTraveler:
No before pics?

Best one I could find from last week.

quote:
As an aside, I've noticed that in Texas, houses have very high peaked/ pitched roofs. What's the purpose of this? Certainly not to shed snow load.

It’s a stupid trend that I wished would die a sudden death. I attribute it to all the McMansion builds over in Dallas that people like to talk about. You know this 4200 sq ft house on a 1/8 acre lot. To me they’re trying to impress you with size that’s not there.

Hopefully we’ll be in to a new/custom home in the next couple years and guess what it won’t have? It’ll also be on a couple acres so as not to be looking into my neighbor’s bathroom while I’m grilling.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I have 4 acre that need that! Probably never happen...

We used to hire high school boys to help with my side business of tree removal and firewood selling. By the time they were old and strong enough to actually get something done they were too lazy to do it!

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I have the identical problem on our lake property only I have 3 acres of it. I had a ten yard load of sandy loam brought in last year and worked on it all summer hauling it in the back of my Ranger one load at a time.

I prioritized the really bad spots and filled them in first. That ten yard load was not near enough. I ordered two more loads this spring but using a tracked Bobcat for spreading it this time. I could do about 6 loads with the Ranger at a time before my body said enough. I'm guessing I will probably be ordering another two loads next spring before real progress is made.

Mowing that piece of land with a lawn tractor was murder. I felt like I went a few rounds with Tyson when I finished. Looked nice though! Razz

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
^^^I can't imagine trying to do any more than I did today by hand. I've seen some larger outfits that have specially designed rigs that evenly drop the sand followed up by a "sweeper" machine that works it into the grass. Wish there was a homeowner version of that I could have rented.

Complacency sucks…

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IntrepidTraveler:
No before pics?

Some of it is high ceilings.

Posts: 3921 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you get a tractor in there with a scraper, to make the surface level?

Or did you fill in a bunch of holes ? There is flat and smooth then there is level .

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54643 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is flat and smooth then there is level .

Good point. It's called leveling, but as you note it's more making it smooth(er). When they laid the sod they did a horrible job of prepping the dirt underneath, then to top it off they didn't butt up the pieces of sod very tight. The result was ruts and holes that I swear I was going to twist an ankle in some day.

I'm not trying to get golf course smooth, just such that I can mow over it with my push mower without feeling like I'm competing in Baja on a dirt bike.

I managed to water it in overnight and we got a little rain this morning. Hoping for more tonight to help it filter down into the grass. At that point I'll spot treat areas that have sunk or need more applied.

This was this morning.

And of course the kids could not pass up the opportunity to play in the pile last night.

Complacency sucks…

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Lawn....?

Wink

Like Che Guevara's beard. Wink

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
You're surrounded!!

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I did 9 cubic yards and roto tilled large sections of my yard, now it just makes me want to fix more imperfections. I hired two guys for two days plus me. Major pain in the ass, expensive too due to my insistance on hiring legal people. It's a never ending battle, I just want a new house instead.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20823 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
You're surrounded!!

Yep, hate it. Current plans have us out in a few years. Job search may help accelerate those plans.

Complacency sucks…

I will get by
Picture of Rustyblade
posted Hide Post
High roofs-- could be as simple as, heat raises (same for tall indoor ceilings) and notice the air-exhaust thingies near the peaks of the roofs; Let the hot air migrate to the peak and exhaust itself without a fan. And/or the whole house attic fan will push it out.
Depending on your attic insulation, 15 minutes of the attic fan ( with select windows open from the top down, lowered my house temp (the walls as well by 10 degrees. A/C bills go down...

And I noticed the reason for the tall fence... 3 children (small LOL)
Wish you well and good luck planning your next upgrade.

Do not necessarily attribute someone's nasty or inappropriate actions as intended when it may be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

Posts: 1291 | Location: Delray Beach | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post